Just because... 1950 8N

For your garden spot ease up on the carbon. Make a compost pile and only put composted debris into the garden. Do yourself a favor and get a few cans of "Red Wiggler" fishing worms and plant them in your plot. They'll do all the work.

For your garden spot ease up on the carbon. Make a compost pile and only put composted debris into the garden. Do yourself a favor and get a few cans of "Red Wiggler" fishing worms and plant them in your plot. They'll do all the work.

Since we're NOT planting a garden this year, assumed it'd be fine?
Consequently, may just do 2-3 rounds of cover crops to get it there...

Since we're NOT planting a garden this year, assumed it'd be fine?
Consequently, may just do 2-3 rounds of cover crops to get it there...
Yes that should be ok. The courser the material, the longer it takes to break down. Wood chips last way too long. Cover crops are a nice thought but they don't usually do what you read that they will do other than just provide for no erosion. And be careful what you plant, you don't want your cover crop to turn into an invasive weed or to invite deer and rabbits to your future garden spot!

Well, went to drop the cultivator, grab the boompole, and unload an axle I retrieved from @Tater the other weekend... was seconds from being disconnected (from cultivator) and she died like the switch was turned off! Tried to recrank, but all it did was spin over and in the process managed to straighten some of the necessary "kinks" in the choke linkage. 🤬

Leaving Tuesday for WindRocks, so it'll sit until I return...

Just realized NO updates for the past 2 years :rolleyes:

We've worked the stuffings out of this old tractor!
Last year, my wife bought a WoodMaxx MX-8600 chipper (self-contained hydraulic infeed), now with 35+ hours of use... have bushhogged the fields several times... and generally used for any chore that can save a few minutes (or our backs).
20220924_145121.jpg20220815_194445.jpg20220815_185441.jpg20220529_115127.jpg

Over the last year, it developed an issue with the starter... spun, but wouldn't engage, so swapped out the OE "spring style" starter bendix with a new "ratchet style"... worked awesome exactly 6 times! On the 7th start, it broke the bendix gear and took out the ringgear on the flywheel 🤬
Split the tractor, ordered parts and when attempting to get the new ringgear on the flywheel, it got FUBAR'd... ordered another and sent it to the local engine shop. They found the front of the flywheel to be "egged" .025"-.035" (= would NEVER get the ringgear on), so they cleaned it up, got the new ringgear installed and resurfaced it. Last Saturday, my son came up and we started in on reassembly, with new starter (original had some axial slop), tranny input seal, clutch kit (new clutch, pressure plate, TO & pilot bearings, and alignment tool). That went pretty dang well, except for a badly mashed digit removing the tranny input seal 🤫 and 2 broken pressure plate bolts (1 had to be extracted, the other spun out intact, but broke sitting on the bench). She fired up easy as always, but with A LOT less noise!

We proceeded to put about 3 hours in chipping the limbs that have blocked our shop road for the past 3 months while it was down...
20230314_203010.jpg
20230422_130905.jpg
20230422_133010.jpg

20230423_153004.jpg

The chipper has a PTO for the old Ford to run it? I've been looking for a log splitter but they all use tractor hydraulics which the old Ford does not have.

The chipper has a PTO for the old Ford to run it? I've been looking for a log splitter but they all use tractor hydraulics which the old Ford does not have.
The chipper is PTO powered... with it's own self-contained hydraulic system (belt driven off PTO) that operates the infeed (basically a valve that controls a hydro motor) = zero hydraulics needed from the tractor

There are "PTO Hydraulic Pumps" (mount directly to your PTO) available, but beware of sticker shock BEFORE you look!
I'd think you could replicate something similar a lot less expensively from a regular pump adapted to power a cheap (FBMP/CL) wood splitter with a bad engine... weld on some mounts for the 3pt. and you're golden?
Anything that will save your back is a good thing
Amen brother!

The chipper is PTO powered... with it's own self-contained hydraulic system (belt driven off PTO) that operates the infeed (basically a valve that controls a hydro motor) = zero hydraulics needed from the tractor

There are "PTO Hydraulic Pumps" (mount directly to your PTO) available, but beware of sticker shock BEFORE you look!
I'd think you could replicate something similar a lot less expensively from a regular pump adapted to power a cheap (FBMP/CL) wood splitter with a bad engine... weld on some mounts for the 3pt. and you're golden?

Amen brother!
Yea I think I looked at the PTO powered pumps and thatis when I decided I'd keep looking for a deal on a tow behind the truck one. People want as much as new....

Back