Just because my rig is clean....

I wash mine after every ride. No soap, just the hose. There is no caked crap on the underside of mine. I hate getting muddy working on my rig in the driveway. There is still the remnants of mud splatters on the side and probably year old pine needles on the inside though.

I wash both my rigs...the wrangler gets a regular bath since it is my DD and I even have my white letters out.The Willys gets washed also along with a overnight spraydown underneath from a yard sprinkler.Dirt attracts moisture hense attracts rust.Each his own,I'll keep my shit clean.

I actually just washed mine last night, lol. Yeah, I hear about it all the time; especially on the trail, people I pass say "That's too clean to be out here". Gets alil old hearing it, but not going to stop me from cleaning it. I love taking it out to wheel, and I do every chance I get; but right now it is also my daily driver, and one that occasionally I have to take clients out in, so I have to keep it at least somewhat nice for the time being. It's also black, and I love the look of a clean black vehicle, not matter what it is. I don't think anyone should judge another's rig as "trail worthy" based upon its cleanliness. If that was the case, many of these companies who build demo crawlers that get used hard would not be considered trail worthy when they are spotless at show events.

Well I didn't comment much at first, but let me 'splain Lucy

89wrangler, Steve Brush a very good friend of mine, was participating in a Jeep Show down in Hickory for Children's Miracle Network. He was parked next to my Jeep. Let me tell ya, it was ready for a show, because there was ZERO dirt anywhere on it! It was painted with stickers, and shine. I made the comment to my wife, that "that jeep never saw off road" Well at this point, Steve and I had never met. This soon changed and we have been wheelin together a bunch in the last several years. The funny thing was, that just a few months ago, Steve let it be known to Leslie and I,that he heard that comment about "that Jeep never been wheeled" Needless to say, it was kinda embarrassing. but, it did make a good laugh while out camping. As many know, I have a new ride and I do try and keep it clean. Still not as clean as Steve does, but much cleaner. We had both been riding, and he found me shortly there after at the car wash. He yelled at me"thought you never washed your Jeep!" I just hollered back "new Jeep" I still get roasted about putting tire shine on my tires. I do this mainly because of the dry rot. And, they are a little easier to clean.
But bottom line, Steve wheels his rig as hard or harder than most I have rode with. It has some scars, but he does his best to "buff them out"

Well I didn't comment much at first, but let me 'splain Lucy
89wrangler, Steve Brush a very good friend of mine, was participating in a Jeep Show down in Hickory for Children's Miracle Network. He was parked next to my Jeep. Let me tell ya, it was ready for a show, because there was ZERO dirt anywhere on it! It was painted with stickers, and shine. I made the comment to my wife, that "that jeep never saw off road" Well at this point, Steve and I had never met. This soon changed and we have been wheelin together a bunch in the last several years. The funny thing was, that just a few months ago, Steve let it be known to Leslie and I,that he heard that comment about "that Jeep never been wheeled" Needless to say, it was kinda embarrassing. but, it did make a good laugh while out camping. As many know, I have a new ride and I do try and keep it clean. Still not as clean as Steve does, but much cleaner. We had both been riding, and he found me shortly there after at the car wash. He yelled at me"thought you never washed your Jeep!" I just hollered back "new Jeep" I still get roasted about putting tire shine on my tires. I do this mainly because of the dry rot. And, they are a little easier to clean.
But bottom line, Steve wheels his rig as hard or harder than most I have rode with. It has some scars, but he does his best to "buff them out"

That's great!! I think I'll be out at The Farms this weekend. Can you save a spot for me way out in the field, away from all the dust, to park my Jeep? :tongue:

I hose mine down especially underneath after wheeling. Although I don't go scrubbing and tire shining. I don't want a jeep that is too dirty to work on. I always has a small film of dirt. Mine is trailer only and I'd hate to see what it looked like if it were totally clean and shiny.

i used to get a lot of "why SAS that rig? it doesn't look like it has ever been wheeled. just a mall crawler" all of the time. and i agree the rig looked good, but its not that it didn't get wheeled its that it takes a lot of work to keep it looking good. its an investment in my happiness/enjoyment and if i want to keep it clean i will. it used to look like this
apic90.picturetrail.com_VOL2148_3057962_19270510_310424220.jpg

and its always been wheeled and wheeled hard. of course...now it's so dented and bent and wrinkled that i don't get many comments about not wheeling it but more "who builds a nissan" comments. that doesn't bother me either....i'll see you on the trail and then you can tell me nissan's don't belong on the trail if and when you get to the top of hill and catch up to me. rig looks like this now.
View attachment apic90.picturetrail.com_VOL2148_3057962_23865708_399141612.jpg
granted i'd rather hear i suck at wheeling and cant keep from hitting every tree on the trail, but either way i don't worry about comments anymore. its my rig. i use it as i see fit and clean it as often as i like.

ai239.photobucket.com_albums_ff33_sqrlmoney_Fab_20work_Dakota_20SAS_2010_11_20_09_36_38_481.jpg

I always shine mine up before wheeling, never know when somebody with a camera will catch you doing something stupid, and we all know you gotta look good when doing something dumb!!!!!

^I thought you sold it.

As far as me, I keep my jeep clean but it's my perference. Now I don't wax it and polish it like I should but I plan to keep it til it dies so the resale value isn't as important to me.

And the guy with the SAS NIssan. Don't worry when people ask why build a Nissan. I get the "Why do you offroad a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee?" "Because it's my rig of choice son. And that's the bottom line"

Nah, I had it up for sale, but I sold my pickup first so I kept the Dak. I love wheeling with a nice truck, it draws attention, makes you wheel more carefully (which can make things more challenging) and you can drive it home or around town if you want. Don't get me wrong, I still give it hell, just don't bounce it off something like I might with a buggy.

What is this wash you speak of? Sounds like a Satanic worship ritual to me.

x2, LOL

I'm too lazy or stupid to even wash my rigs before working on them. I think I have washed my Samurai once in the 6.5 yrs that I have owned it.

I think I have washed my Dodge once.

1979 CJ-7 Golden Eagle, I've had for over 25 years. Keeping the mud washed out, & off, [plus garaged] has keep it nearly rust free. Don't mind getting it dirty, just like it, & the [mostly] Original paint, looking GOOD. I can tell, if anything starts leaking, & dirt doesn't fall in my eyes, when I'm servicing her! [haha] I'll see if I can pull up a pic, but you can find more pics on Uwharrie Workdays. PS: Been turned on both sides, only required 1 windshield & frame. "Never been off road?"

Attachments

• Fun Caravan 40th 009.jpg
    Fun Caravan 40th 009.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 170
gotta have a clean rig to work on it, and as mentioned earlier, to see the leaks. i clean and inspect mine before or after every wheeling run. and a buggy is not easy to clean, usually takes me 4-5 hours, with the help of my lil buddy. also before i load up i spray the undercarriage and skins with Mudd-Off with a weed sprayer to make cleanup easier when i get home.

Back