K5 Blazers

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
What is everyone's thoughts on a K5 Blazer for a trail rig? Too big for URE? Known issues for the mid 80s version? Looking for any and all opinions or thoughts.

for moderate to heavy use, weak points tend to be the 10 bolt rear, the factory steering box setup tends to crack the framerail over the long term, the short drag link in the steering on the driver's side doesn't like to flex well, a 2wd steering box and crossover steering linkage would be at the top of the list for trail use

I haven't seen too many small wheeling rigs that are wheeled hard with no body damage. So, if you wheel aggressively it is almost inevitable. So don't let that be a deciding factor.

What is everyone's thoughts on a K5 Blazer for a trail rig? Too big for URE? Known issues for the mid 80s version? Looking for any and all opinions or thoughts.

Not at all to big for URE.
From 84? on you will have a 700r4 with OD from 87 up you get TBI.

Steering box can crack frame as mentioned...do cross over steering and beef its cheap.

all leafs so they lift easily and cheaply...add in some 63s and shackle reversal and you have some flexiness cheap.

SBC are standard BBC fit all day so power and parts availability are never an issue.

1 ton axles (from a CUCV for example) are direct bolt ins.

The np208 tcase has a decent low range but is a chain driven alum house case...its weakish but plentiful and cheap.

Beyond that...great platform. Shorter wheel base than the pick up. Wider and more stable than a Jeep. and enough room inside for 2 dudes to ride without bumping shoulder sunlike a Jeep.

Come on Bigclay! You've wheeled with me at Harlan. If I can wheel an f150 then a k5 is no problem :).

Seriously I have no problems with my 115" wheelbase f150 in ure. It gets tight at the flatts or Harlan in spots so just expect body damage. Rock sliders are your friend. My dad wheels a SAS 88 bronco on 38s all over ure.

Thanks guys! Main thing I like about the K5 is the removable top and that there is enough room for someone my size even with an interior cage.

I am actually looking at one that has 14 bolt rear and (per the seller) "3/4 ton front axle", which I am assuming is a D44?? It is already lifted and running 38s, and has a 454 swapped in. In regards to the 454, it is carburated, which I am not extremely familiar with, will it have fuel delivery problems at anngles?

I use to wheel an 85 full size Bronco at URE and various other places all the time. It was not too big for URE, but at times I wished it was smaller when wheeling more extreme places.

If I was going to build a K5 for wheeling, here would be the start for my build sheet:

- 87 or newer model to get the 350 with EFI and overdrive transmission
- CUCV axles (D60/14bolt with 4.56 gears and Detroit in rear), add a Lock Right to the front and replace the 30 spline stub shafts with 35 spline units and also new Spicer U-joints.
- Steering box frame brace plate welded in
- Crossover steering with hydro assist
- 4"-6" lift kit
- 39.5"-42" tires on recentered H1 wheels
- Cut the body for the tires to fit
- SYE on the rear driveshaft
- 8274 winch on the front
- Remove the top, doors, tailgate, and rear seat if not taking any other passengers.

Depending on how hard you drive, the stock 10 bolt axles will fail with 33's-37's when locked.

In regards to the 454, it is carburated, which I am not extremely familiar with, will it have fuel delivery problems at anngles?

In my experience, yes. A carb just cannot compete with EFI when the rig is leaned way over or standing on the nose/tail. My 85 FS Bronco had a carb, and it was extremely frustrating. I spent hours trying to make it better, but it was a waste of time.

Thanks guys! Main thing I like about the K5 is the removable top and that there is enough room for someone my size even with an interior cage.

I am actually looking at one that has 14 bolt rear and (per the seller) "3/4 ton front axle", which I am assuming is a D44?? It is already lifted and running 38s, and has a 454 swapped in. In regards to the 454, it is carburated, which I am not extremely familiar with, will it have fuel delivery problems at anngles?
The Front should be a 8 lug Dana 44hd. The rear could be a full float or semi float 14 bolt. Like stated earlier cucv axles would be a direct swap if you wanted to go to a 60 front and a full float rear. If its got a quadrajet carb it'll do decent off road but if the motor is stockish (ie no wild cam) then a throttle body injection swap should be fairly straightforward. I'm running TBI off a 350 on my 351m cause I got tired of dealing with flooding at angles.

could be 8 lug d44 or 10b depending on axle. rear could be FF or SF. Carb can be swapped to TBI fairly easily, or go to dual-fuel propane.

Never seen a damn K5 BLAZER that could ever get stuck nowhere. Caint get stuck.
Well known fact.
Invest in one.
Make sure it has gumbos.

I love my K5 & it has all of the stuff mentioned above since it is an 87 w/ a TBI 350, 700r4 & alum 208 case. The only issue that I have had is the front output bearing going out in the case, which can happen to anything & as mentioned they are plentiful & cheap. I am running the CUCV axles w/ detroit's in both & the stock 4:56 gears. Lifting them is cheap w/ doing a 52/56 spring swap which will give you 4"lift.

The small block has plenty of power & the 454 that you mentioned is easliy converted to TBI with all fractor stuff, then you won't have to worry about angles & reliablity.

The down side is, it is a fat pig. URE is no problem & you can wheel all of it w/ no body damage. But the Flats & Harlen are a completely different story. Expect body damage from the headlight's to the tail lights. But I enjoy people saying how did you get that fat pig up that trail. Just get use to the crushed tin look.

Also towing becomes an issue. I weighed mine before with no top, no doors, no interior other than seats, no spare parts, 1/2 tank of gas & before the bead locks & full cage, it still weight just over 5500lbs.

There also not a complete bolt on build like most Jeep projects, so get your fab skills out.

I love my K5 & it has all of the stuff mentioned above since it is an 87 w/ a TBI 350, 700r4 & alum 208 case. The only issue that I have had is the front output bearing going out in the case, which can happen to anything & as mentioned they are plentiful & cheap. I am running the CUCV axles w/ detroit's in both & the stock 4:56 gears. Lifting them is cheap w/ doing a 52/56 spring swap which will give you 4"lift.

The small block has plenty of power & the 454 that you mentioned is easliy converted to TBI with all fractor stuff, then you won't have to worry about angles & reliablity.

The down side is, it is a fat pig. URE is no problem & you can wheel all of it w/ no body damage. But the Flats & Harlen are a completely different story. Expect body damage from the headlight's to the tail lights. But I enjoy people saying how did you get that fat pig up that trail. Just get use to the crushed tin look.

Also towing becomes an issue. I weighed mine before with no top, no doors, no interior other than seats, no spare parts, 1/2 tank of gas & before the bead locks & full cage, it still weight just over 5500lbs.

There also not a complete bolt on build like most Jeep projects, so get your fab skills out.

What he said. Your tow rig should handle it fine though if you've still got the dodge. Make sure you've got enough trailer. I bent the frame on an overloaded 7k trailer before I stepped up to the 14k deck over I've got now.

i love my k5. i personally felt it was too big for uwharrie, only because the body was in such good shape i didn't want to tear it up. if it was just a wheeling rig i would take it anywhere.

This is probably the biggest limiting factor in wheeling any full size. The less you worry about sheetmetal, the more places you can go. The first dent is always the hardest lol.

Duane

Keep the info coming, I appreciate all of it.

I hadn't thought about the trailer. Mine is a Kauffman 7k, which I guess could be maxed out with a K5 with tons and a cage. My tow rig should be ok, but the trailer may need to be upgraded, dang.

Keep the info coming, I appreciate all of it.

I hadn't thought about the trailer. Mine is a Kauffman 7k, which I guess could be maxed out with a K5 with tons and a cage. My tow rig should be ok, but the trailer may need to be upgraded, dang.
Yep figure 1500-2000 lb trailer weight to be conservative or weight it then subtract that from the 7000 gtwr. My shortened 78 f150 with tons and 42s exoed with no bed and rear coilovers weighs about 6300. Its a heavy pig. But I've been wheeling it for years at 7200 so it feels light and nimble now lol!

I don't think that you would have to upgrade trailers my 16' Kaufman handles my big girl just fine. One of the best site's for K5's or any full size chev is, ColoradoK5.com.

I think you would be fine with your current trailer. I towed my old k-5 on 38's with 3/4 ton running gear never had any issues towing with a 7000 lb trailer. Its the same one I still use and it looks much lighter than your trailer.

Ive had several Full Size broncos. One thing i can say is that having the heaviest vehicle in a convoy makes it difficult to find someone who can pull you out of a jam. a Big winch is your friend.

Ditto's on trailering. Also, a K5 on 35's is a much taller animal than a jeep on 35's. measure your garage, and garage doors. Ask me about the Bronco on 36's i put a lift on my garage....before i measured door height!

the sides of my garage door bear the scars of trying to wiggle a lifted fullsize in and out.

it costs a few pennies, but i think the aftermarket softops make for a good look on one, as well as losing the heavy ass fiberglass top while still keeping the rain out

ah man....you wouldnt believe how convenient that soft top is!

I love my K5, it sucks for gas mileage, but honestly its so much fun. I can sleep in the back, or tow a pop up up anywhere i want to go. It holds a lot of gear and is easy to work on, and can be had for cheap.
I want to get a soft top for this summer.

Back