Kingpins and Unit bearings

@paradisePWoffrd , Ever made any head way on this idea? Currently running a GM 60 with a Jana 76 conversion and Reid knuckles. Keep breaking 35 spline chromo shafts like twigs. Trying find an affordable way to go 40 spline and haven't found much. From the research I've done, looks like 40 spline unit bearings are far cheaper that 40 spline KP spindles, bearings, and hubs.

I havent done anything past the printed parts. While I think you could make a reasonable adapter, it would still be costly, and not sure how scrub would play out.

As mentioned, the knuckle could be machined, possibly needing a short spacer, that would allow the use of an 05+ UB and stub.

For cost, I would consider changing the knuckles and going with 05+ UB outers with balljoint eliminators on your axle. Use 05+ stubs, could even go 1550 or big bell. Could sell the Reids to offset the cost.

You could change the spindles and bearings and machine your hubs for the new outer bearings too.

As mentioned, the knuckle could be machined, possibly needing a short spacer, that would allow the use of an 05+ UB and stub.

I took some measurements off the CAD models that I have. Looking at them, you would need a 0.211 spacer behind the UB, to put the rear seal in the same basic position. You can see the dimensions of the rear of the UB to make the spacer. Basically would machine a hole in the knuckle, taking out part of the existing holes. Could drill the knuckle for new studs/bolts and weld the plate on if you chose. Not sure how brakes would work.

1617137371472.png
1617137551931.png

1617137660521.png
1617137985029.png

Last edited:
Back