Land clearing/grading/well and septic-Mayodan, NC

77GreenMachine

Phillip Talton
I own some land in Mayodan that needs some work. There is a very well established road into the property and what I consider “light” clearing needed for a home area. It is not mature hardwood, just brush and young small trees. I need an area leveled and a lot of gravel brought in.

I also need a septic system and a well and have begun the permitting for such.

Is there a member there I can support? I will also be filming a good portion of this work as it comes together for YouTube purposes. YouTube owes me $86 this month, so don’t go seeing dollar signs as if I’m some rich YouTuber…:laughing:

I think Will Carter was doing septic work but havent talked to him in a minute

If only @YotaOnRocks had recently gotten his septic license and had a skidsteer and mini ex and lived not too far away…

@YotaOnRocks hasn't done any work for me, but I can vouch that he's a cool stand up dude!

Well getting back to this land is getting closer. We have been jumping thru a lot of the hoops to get all the permits in order on the front end. @YotaOnRocks will be taking care of the grading and septic.
I am excited to get back and begin working with him on this project and watching this all the shape. The cost and wait time for a well was a huge shock. $12k average cost and 4-5 month waiting list. Looks like I'll be hauling in water for a bit.

$100 a foot rings a bell. You don't know what it costs until they're finished.
Dang, that has escalated. It was $100 per 10ft stick after the $3000 first 100' when I built my house in 19. My total well cost was $4700.

Dang, that has escalated. It was $100 per 10ft stick after the $3000 first 100' when I built my house in 19. My total well cost was $4700.
$4500 for 350ft in limestone in 2020, including pump and line to the house

In 2009 it was about $4000 for the first 200ft, then $10/ft
Getting the well drilled tomorrow morning! It's $10/ft for every foot over 200ft, so I hope its not too deep.

Wednesday was well drilling day. I called a few places on wells about a year ago, and got a variety of combinations of prices, but most were between $4000-5000 for the first 200ft with everything installed. The $4000 guys were $10/ft over 200ft, and the $5000 guys were $8-9/ft. Lewis Well Drilling is about 1/2 mile down the road from my property, has been in business for 25 years or more, and has drilled thousands of wells in the area. Also they were on the $4000 end of things, and the owner said he would work with me if it became very deep.

It was a nervous day, as my neighbors on either side had very deep, 500-700ft wells that were not too strong, 2-3gpm. The well man showed up about 10am and within 15 minutes they had a hole in the ground.

I learned a lot about well drilling, watching and talking to them. There is a drilling head that is about 12ft long, and then 20ft extensions that thread on. The drilling truck has a system much like a revolver that automatically loads the extensions. They are all hollow, and they blow air and a foaming agent down to the drill head to keep it lubricated and help float the dirt/rock out and up to the surface. This foam creates quite an interesting river.

They drill a 12" hole until they get to bedrock, then they pull out all of their tooling, and install a PVC casing. Then they put on a 6" drill and go back down and continue drilling. The casing prevents the softer and looser upper sections of soil from caving in on the shaft. They ended up going 119ft to bedrock. Here's a pic of the casing install:

Those sound more like what I would expect.

@YotaOnRocks is up there just knocking it out on my land.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to be around like I’d hoped, he’s moving too fast for me lol.
I’m heading up in the morning to do a few things and see how it’s going. Should be up there in my camper within a week.
image000001.jpeg
image000001.jpeg
image000002.jpeg

Matt has been excellent to work with. Him and his wife are both working so hard. The literal term “in the trenches” comes to mind. They remind me of Lindsay and I, seem to be quite the team.

Walking around there yesterday, watching the layout we’ve been dreaming of developing right before our eyes has been incredible.
We looked at this land once for just about 30 minutes and bought it, then took off for several months just dreaming about how we wanted to do things. Now it’s happening and we can’t wait to have the first morning coffee on the front porch of our cabin soon.

IMG_6322.jpeg
IMG_6316.jpeg
IMG_6318.jpeg

So does this mean settling down, or just a nice plan to land between adventures?
For now it's a place for us to call home but still be able to hit the road for a month or 2 at a time. I have options and ideas for this to be a rental (eventually more than one) to support continued travel. Or build it up and sell it for a profit and repeat elsewhere on a larger scale.
I'd like to build it up, have it appraised and pull that equity out to further invest but we'll see.

I have no idea, but I have options and I like that.

Now it’s happening and I can’t wait to take my first dump after having the first morning coffee on the front porch of our cabin soon.

As men, we are simple creatures :D

Sounds awesome. Having options is a damn good feeling!

I meant to ask what amount of land did you end up with?
While I'd like to know as well 😬 ...

Had seen a WY rancher say that asking someone how many acres they have is akin to asking "how much do you make a year?"/"what's your net worth?"
He also mentioned the inverse of actually stating "I have xxx acres" might appear to be "bragging"?

Maybe it's "ranch"/western US thing?
I'm thrilled to hear someone owns 1-10K acres, as long as it's what they want... :popcorn:

Wow. My head is spinning from all that has happened in such a short amount of time.

My septic is 100% done and currently in use. My grading and driveway in is 100% done. My well is done and sitting there covered with a fake rock. They hit water at 205' so the bill totaled $9,600 which was answered prayer as the grading went over budget.

@YotaOnRocks has gone above and beyond on this project. As always, members of this forum just click. We became fast friends and he has done so much over here. We wound up having to make some changes to the driveway after the fact. I realized getting our cabin into place was going to be almost impossible. I had future plans to open up an old road bed on the property to make a loop for easy in and out with trailers and such.
So with Matt and his wife's wisdom we decided to just go ahead and bite off at least the biggest part of that project. We took out some trees, dug up a 20' accumulation of 3-4' sections of old plastic pipe held together with wood screws and moved the drainage with 2 sticks of pipe.
Matt got 1 load of fill dirt brought in and graded it all out and followed it up with a load of gravel all spread nicely and we scavenged rocks from the surrounding area for the edges. It was really a fun project and I learned a ton of stuff.
In fact I've learned a boat load of stuff in a short amount of time. Matt helped with my septic tie in and has shared so much knowledge with me in general over the course of it all.

If you need septic or grading work in the area he's your guy.

I wish I had more pics but I didn't take much, however I have been filming so all of this will be out soon with more detail.
IMG_6381.jpeg
IMG_6379.jpeg
IMG_6377.jpeg
IMG_6373.jpeg
IMG_6372.jpeg
IMG_6367.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6364.jpeg
    IMG_6364.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 30
Back