Land clearing/grading/well and septic-Mayodan, NC

77GreenMachine

Phillip Talton
I own some land in Mayodan that needs some work. There is a very well established road into the property and what I consider “light” clearing needed for a home area. It is not mature hardwood, just brush and young small trees. I need an area leveled and a lot of gravel brought in.

I also need a septic system and a well and have begun the permitting for such.

Is there a member there I can support? I will also be filming a good portion of this work as it comes together for YouTube purposes. YouTube owes me $86 this month, so don’t go seeing dollar signs as if I’m some rich YouTuber…:laughing:

I think Will Carter was doing septic work but havent talked to him in a minute

If only @YotaOnRocks had recently gotten his septic license and had a skidsteer and mini ex and lived not too far away…

@YotaOnRocks hasn't done any work for me, but I can vouch that he's a cool stand up dude!

Well getting back to this land is getting closer. We have been jumping thru a lot of the hoops to get all the permits in order on the front end. @YotaOnRocks will be taking care of the grading and septic.
I am excited to get back and begin working with him on this project and watching this all the shape. The cost and wait time for a well was a huge shock. $12k average cost and 4-5 month waiting list. Looks like I'll be hauling in water for a bit.

Dang, that has escalated. It was $100 per 10ft stick after the $3000 first 100' when I built my house in 19. My total well cost was $4700.
$4500 for 350ft in limestone in 2020, including pump and line to the house

In 2009 it was about $4000 for the first 200ft, then $10/ft
Getting the well drilled tomorrow morning! It's $10/ft for every foot over 200ft, so I hope its not too deep.

Wednesday was well drilling day. I called a few places on wells about a year ago, and got a variety of combinations of prices, but most were between $4000-5000 for the first 200ft with everything installed. The $4000 guys were $10/ft over 200ft, and the $5000 guys were $8-9/ft. Lewis Well Drilling is about 1/2 mile down the road from my property, has been in business for 25 years or more, and has drilled thousands of wells in the area. Also they were on the $4000 end of things, and the owner said he would work with me if it became very deep.

It was a nervous day, as my neighbors on either side had very deep, 500-700ft wells that were not too strong, 2-3gpm. The well man showed up about 10am and within 15 minutes they had a hole in the ground.

I learned a lot about well drilling, watching and talking to them. There is a drilling head that is about 12ft long, and then 20ft extensions that thread on. The drilling truck has a system much like a revolver that automatically loads the extensions. They are all hollow, and they blow air and a foaming agent down to the drill head to keep it lubricated and help float the dirt/rock out and up to the surface. This foam creates quite an interesting river.

They drill a 12" hole until they get to bedrock, then they pull out all of their tooling, and install a PVC casing. Then they put on a 6" drill and go back down and continue drilling. The casing prevents the softer and looser upper sections of soil from caving in on the shaft. They ended up going 119ft to bedrock. Here's a pic of the casing install:

Back