Las Vegas Tips and Tricks

XJfreakHO

Triad Trail Junkies
I earned a trip to our national forum in Vegas this year in May. I've never been to Vegas, or off the east coast if I'm being honest. I figured it can't hurt to get some advice, find some must visit spots, etc...

As of now I will be traveling alone, but I may end up having a friend from Cali meet me there.
I'll be there May 15-20th. May 16-17th are "work days" so I will only be free in the evenings.

Any advice, tips, or suggestions are appreciated. They are putting me up at the Venetian, meals are free on the work days but otherwise everything is on my dime except the hotel, flight, and basic transportation.

Just came back from there in January. You have to visit the Hoover Dam.
I rented a pickup and drove out there. It was like $120 for the truck (car is cheaper) $10 to park, $15 for the tour, worth every penny. 45 minute drive.

Walk thru Caesar’s Palace, it’s insane.

Eat a burger from In N Out burger.

You would probably love Fremont St. Me, not so much but I know you would love it.

Drink lots of water, it’s very dry out there. Also you should ride that Sky wheel thing. 550’ tall!

Don't eat at In N Out Burger, it's crap. Every time I go to Vegas people want to go there for lunch, and whenever I go with them I just remind myself why I don't like to go there. It's like making a special trip to go to McDonalds because they don't have McDonalds where you're from.

Don't eat at In N Out Burger, it's crap. Every time I go to Vegas people want to go there for lunch, and whenever I go with them I just remind myself why I don't like to go there. It's like making a special trip to go to McDonalds because they don't have McDonalds where you're from.

It’s true. It’s taste just like a Steak N Shake burger to me. It was still good, but yes everyone raves about it so it’s apparently part of being in Vegas.

Uber and the Monorail seemed to be the best way to get around for me.

Sit down little buddy, let’s have a chat. haha.

Transportation: Uber, Monorail. If you use Uber just pay attention to where it pings your actual location for pickup. Everything is so close together and busy in Vegas it will regularly try and make you get picked up at a nearby hotel and not the one you’re at.

Things to do: Take in a show of some sort, they really are pretty cool. Dont buy at the box office. Ask hotel concierge for details/deals. I’ve caught Chris Stapleton at the Hard Rock for $11. That’s probably the best deal I’ve scored yet. Go to Fremont St, grab a beer and just walk around and people watch. You’ll immediately feel better about yourself. The Hoover Dam is cool and worth the trip. I rented a Harley and rode a big loop around town on mostly two lane, out to the dam, through Lake Mead Natl Rec Area, up to Valley of Fire, down to the race track and hung out watching fighters take off and land at the air base.

Food: It’s gotten harder and harder to find stuff that isn’t chain restaurants or celebrity named over priced bullshit. Diablos Cantina in front of the MonteCarlo is usually good food. They hand out twofer drink tickets all the time so grab em up and crush beers. The other bars/restaurants on the strip right there are good to. There is a Thai place off Fremont street like a block. I can never remember the name but it’s there haha. It’s damn good. There are a ton of options under the Ferris wheel between Flamingo/Harrahs and the Linq. The beer/drinks for gambling isn’t as easy to get as it used to be but they still do it. The bars with the video machines built in are the best odds for free beers. Usually keep a $20 balance in, slow play it and just rack up free drinks.

Gambling: Blackjack. Simply google odds charts etc and spend a little time studying it and you probably won’t become Rain Man, but just sticking to the basic strategies usually pays off. Craps is another one with decent odds, but the majority of the shit is designed to take your money.

Random shit: little Mexicans will be standing on every mother fucking corner slapping little business cards for hookers. Take them. Then walk down the strip trying to pass them off to other people. People will actually take them from you because you’re a casual Caucasian feller, but when they realize they’ve been had, it’s just hilarious. We make this a drinking game. Your buddy has to drink every time you pass one off successfully and vice versa. Also, don’t take pictures with the street characters unless you’re willing to tip. Those fuckers will literally hold onto you til you pay up. When walking around, put your cell phone and wallet in your front pockets to lessen the chances of being picked. It’s not as big an issue as it used to be, but better safe than cavity searched by TSA on the way home because you don’t have an ID.

That’s the tip of the iceberg but a good start for ya. Haha.

Random shit: little Mexicans will be standing on every mother fucking corner slapping little business cards for hookers. Take them. Then walk down the strip trying to pass them off to other people. People will actually take them from you because you’re a casual Caucasian feller, but when they realize they’ve been had, it’s just hilarious.
Just don't do it in front of the mom of a 14 yo who looks 18,ask me how I know.

Good info. I have heard of the Thai place you speak of... Its apparently amazing and right near the German Leather goods store... ;)

I definitely plan to see some stuff. I talked to a good friend today about seeing if he wanted to tag along. Not many of my friends can just take a week off work to piss away cash. I have another friend who is from San Fran and I found out he will be in Vegas that weekend but is going to the Electric Daisy Carnival. An event I would go to for 1 day... but am not going to deal with for 3 days.

Hoover Dam sounds like a winner. I'll have to look into rental options. Harley would be pretty cool in May.

If you go the two wheeled route, Escape Eagles is who I use out there. He doesn’t put a huge deposit on a CC and as long as you have your endorsement you’re good. I think it was like $160 with insurance to get a Heritage Softail for a day. Unlimited mileage. Eagle Riders, the HD dealer program will nickel and dime you to death.

PM me if you decide to go out at night. We go to vegas two or three times a year and know a couple of club managers.

as mentioned before, boulder city and red rock canyon are cool day trips. hoover dam is insance. take the dam tour, its worth it.

i stopped messing with the strip after the first few trips. i dont gamble and id seen the pirate show enough times.

some pretty cool things downtown. freemont street is good people watching.

most importantly, dont forget to go to bed.

8870ef7b203abd9a1361b51d1759dc5e.gif

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

as mentioned before, boulder city and red rock canyon are cool day trips. hoover dam is insance. take the dam tour, its worth it.

i stopped messing with the strip after the first few trips. i dont gamble and id seen the pirate show enough times.

some pretty cool things downtown. freemont street is good people watching.

most importantly, dont forget to go to bed.

I looked and looked around for where to rent a 4x4 Jeep to do some exploring and there really aren't any nearby except "LAS VEGAS ROCK CRAWLERS" and they come with a HEFTY price tag. I am considering doing the Logandale trail ride with them. Its like $650 bucks for 6 hours... but I figure when will I be out west again?

It would be cool to explore old vegas, tunnels, etc... but I am sure that's way off limits lol

$650 is a lot. Hope you get to drive! But it may be a one time opportunity though so if I had the time and extra money, I’d do it.

Avis offered us an upgrade to a 4wd mercedes in vegas. It handled the high speed dirt road/mild trails pretty well. Avis upgraded to a JK in Denver last year.

Back