Late Model GM Truck Horns

R Q

Mine on my '15 GMC quit working. I Googled it and dint see any common issues or actually repairs. Has anyone had the same issue and what was the fix?

Check for power and continuity of ground at the horn when the horn button is pressed. Easy to test with a multimeter, but will need a friend to press the horn button.

Check the horn itself by jumpering power and ground from the battery or from a power supply.

If the horn doesn't function after testing, and you have power and ground where you should, replace the horn. They're not usually high quality parts, and they fail.

If you don't power or ground, you'll have to trace back until you find it. If may be a bad fuse, or a corroded ground. I can't see much else happening with a 2015 from a reliability standpoint, so I'll reserve any confusing comments until after you do the easy initial health tests. Basically, I would doubt that your clockspring has failed, but it's very possible a fuse is blown, so always check the easy stuff first.

If you have keyless entry double lock it and see if it beeps there.
That would eliminate the clock spring, wheel button and column harness.

If it beeps for neither youu have a bad horn or blown fuse

If you have keyless entry double lock it and see if it beeps there.
That would eliminate the clock spring, wheel button and column harness.

If it beeps for neither youu have a bad horn or blown fuse
It doesnt work with the key fob either and fuse is good.

horns bad or wire is loose.

Use drive thru car washes much?
Wife's 2014 Suburban had the plug on connector blow off the horn in a drive thru car wash once.

Wife's 2014 Suburban had the plug on connector blow off the horn in a drive thru car wash once.
I'll have to check. I did take it to the dealer for some recall stuff and I would not be surprised if they knocked it off. And I am NOT taking it back to those assholes! So I'll check the wires tomorrow. Where's the dang horn anyway? lol

Horn? Probably hidden! Changed the Battery yet? Thought I needed a battery, but lucked out [for now]. I had to You-tube, to figure out How to do a battery change. Fricking Engineers!
As for the horn, Boss bought 2, for a Sterling Dump truck. First one burned out, a dinky single horn, & the next 2 Factory horns, only lasted about 2 mouths each. I went to Pep Boys, & bought a twin set for about $15. By Golly, their Loud, & been working for over 3 years!

Could have been that 239mph wind from the backpack blower after the driveway wash :cool:

I finally found info on horn removal/replacement. You have to take the freaking grill and bumper apart/off to get to them. I haven't crawled under it yet but will later today. If I have to repair or replace they just may get moved.

This is what it takes to fix a corroded wire connection on a '15 GMC horn. I will buy new horns and the wire connection to do it again at a later date
full
[/IMG]
full

The horns are the two silver things down on the frame below the drivers side headlight.

Dang. I'd have thought you could get to it from in the wheel well.
Me too. I/we wasted time trying to. My son helped me (basically did it) and we took the fender liner out, and some other parts and finally took the front end off. If we would have done that to start with it would have been an hour tops.

Back