Legality of off-road lights? (ahem, TacoPopo?)

TheZenTree

New thread in tech about driving lights:

Anyway, for those of you who missed my other post about this, I was wondering what the laws regarding driving/off-road auxiliary lights are. I was under the impression that it's legal to have one pair hooked up, operating, and uncovered on the street, but any more than that needed to be covered. Since all the OEMs offer driving lights on so many models, there's no way these can be illegal, unless the law specifies between driving lights and off-road type lights.

Can anyone shed a little light (ha) on the matter?

I have been driving with 2 KC off road lights on the front of my truck for 4 years now, with no problems. I turn the on at night instead of turning my brights on. When no traffic is coming of course. I don't think you will ever get stopped for it.

A friend of mine was riding behind me with 2 Hella lights mounted on the front bumper of his Wrangler... I couldn't see cars on either side of me. Looked like a dang airplane was landing behind me - so bright it was totally unsafe. I cannot imagine what it was like driving facing the beams.

I have also heard 4 lights uncovered, the rest covered. I don't know where I read it though.

It kills me when people actually run these offroad lights on the street (when other vehicles are around) - it seems they don't realize it's blinding anyone not in their vehicle.

It bothers the hell out of me when people don't turn them off for oncoming traffic, but they're great to have on those dark, deserted back roads.

these frat boy turds that ride around with their hellas on their body lifted TJ's should be ticketed. I think if you use some common sense and use them when there is no one coming there isnt a problem.

from my understanding one pair of lights other than the headlights may be used, but they must be at or below the height of the headlights. Anything above the headlights or beyond one extra pair isnt allowed. I havent read the law, thats just what i've been told, but it seems pretty reasonable.

hah that is exactly right. About two weeks ago, I got pulled over on campus by a cop and asked me to turn my offroad lights off. I had no idea they were on, but i do remember slippin when i jumped in so my knee must have hit the switch and since it was day light, I did not notice they were on. The cop was very nice about it and thats what he said, no lights mounted higher than your headlights may be used on the road.

Rod

jmg4runner said:
from my understanding one pair of lights other than the headlights may be used, but they must be at or below the height of the headlights. Anything above the headlights or beyond one extra pair isnt allowed. I havent read the law, thats just what i've been told, but it seems pretty reasonable.

I have the inspection booklet, a few years old but still. You are exactly right. says must be centerline of headlights or below unless came from factory.

I believe there is also a rule about 6 filaments facing forward...

meaning high beams, low beams and fog lights (or driving lights)...anything else must be covered...

of course, it's not always enforced...

and, HID lights do not have filaments, so there's always the "technicality" argument...if you did a HID conversion, you could essentially have three pair of offroad lights also facing forward...

Greg

§ 20‑130. Additional permissible light on vehicle.

(a) Spot Lamps. – Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps, except that a motorcycle shall not be equipped with more than one spot lamp, and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the beam will be directed to the left of the center of the highway nor more than 100 feet ahead of the vehicle. No spot lamps shall be used on the rear of any vehicle.

(b) Auxiliary Driving Lamps. – Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front, and every such auxiliary driving lamp or lamps shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in G.S. 20‑131, subsection (c).

(c) Restrictions on Lamps. – Any device, other than headlamps, spot lamps, or auxiliary driving lamps, which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than 25 candlepower, shall be so directed that no part of the beam will strike the level of the surface on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 50 feet from the vehicle.

It also mentions later that you can't run bulbs of "unapproved candlepower"... but doesn't specifically state what that rating is. Not that I can find, anyway. 55W is generally a good rule of thumb.

I am a N.C vehicle inspector and to add to the ^ from what i have been told (may or may not be true) your secondary lights must turn off when your high beams come on. Like i said may or may not be true, but we will not pass one if they stay on all the time.

As for them being covered i dont realy know, I would say if you are not driving like a idiot that most cop's would not pull you for it.

a friend in boone, who i was following had his hellas on and we both got stoped and warned. he was warned for having his on while i was warned for not having them covered. which confused me cause mine were off. u know how some of the laws go, sometimes they will get u and sometimes they wont

lets sum this up...

ILLEGAL
f5367d8e.jpg

LEGAL
maine06.jpg

:flipoff2:

I keep my 4 COVERED until I get to where I need them OFFROAD

1. They cost too much to have stones from the dumptruck that pulled out in front of me pop up and bust the lens

2. Having them covered keeps the cops off my back

3. Keeps me from being tempted to turn darkness to dawn when the prick in the civic refuses to turn his brights off coming at me down Glenn Hi road :mad:

Back