Lets See a Pic of Your tow rig and trailer.

@Will Carter are you only bolting this extension in, or are you welding it?

If you're open to making another set for me, I'll gladly pay you. My time is being chewed up with other trailer projects.

The 6" was bolted and then just stich welded in a couple places. Mainly just so if I wanted to drop it back down to sell it one day.

I think @shawn was welded and not bolted at all, right?

I think they'd be perfectly fine just bolting it all with no permanent trailer welding if you want.

I'm not really making things that require blood or sweat or tears these days. You can buy the new axle brackets and just do some measuring and sketch it out. Just don't tell the metal shop who makes it for you what they really are so they don't get scared.

Correct, the tubes were stitch welded to the frame. Part of that was to reinforce the beaver tail at the ramp door. If I remember correctly, the torsion brackets were cut off the frame and welded onto the new tubes. We talked about adding crossmembers to make a little subframe out of it, but the torsion axles are already crossmembers of a sort, and have less potential to twist the frame sideways than leaves.

Picked up another gooseneck. Hopefully I get to keep this one. 42.5ft and has 2 ft extensions to make it 44.5... came with a free mower too.
Looking for a 5th wheel camper to mount up front.
F366726F-3213-4EC5-B76F-5133D1D49355.jpeg
17E258F3-5D1C-46B4-8591-7B753EDCC613.jpeg
B519DFEB-AB12-4695-AC85-0FEA6194D9CC.jpeg

Picked up another gooseneck. Hopefully I get to keep this one. 42.5ft and has 2 ft extensions to make it 44.5... came with a free mower too.
Looking for a 5th wheel camper to mount up front.
View attachment 344052
Wow...your driveway did NOT appear to be that long when I was there

Wow...your driveway did NOT appear to be that long when I was there
It took up most of the driveway so i’m storing it at @Will miller ’s house.
He had to widen his driveway for me to fit it in there. lol

I’d say weld on some rings and tie it down with 4 binders.
I was going to
Expensive counterweight!:) You pushing the overall combination length, especially if you go to 44.5 trailer length!😬
yeah, it’s closer to 70ft than 60...
and the forklift kept raising the back tires. Figured that was safer than me hanging off that back of it. lol

I like the idea of making plates that bolt to the axles and weld to the trailer. That way when the trailer flexes the camper still has suspension.
I was going to ask if you were going to remove the axles?

I like this idea as well, but maybe have the plates tie into stake pockets or something. Then you could put tires back on and unload if you wanted to haul something else. Also, if the neck and hitch are still on the camper, you could put a ball/pin on the neck of the trailer to tie it in there.

I seen one at Golden Mountain where the guy pulled the axles off and the leaf springs sat on the deck on a piece of metal and a set of ubolts when below deck with a piece of metal to sandwich it down.
I was thinking just unbolt the springs and bolt 2 pieces of 1.5" x 6' long square tubes to the trailer where the old springs would be that line up with the spring hanger holes, then just throw some bolts through the spring hanger holes and tubing. Assuming at least 4 of the hangers are the same height.

Definitely wouldn't leave the axles or springs on it though.

Exactly. Having the camper move independently of the trailer seems like it would make that trailer beat you to death with swaying and bouncing.

Exactly. Having the camper move independently of the trailer seems like it would make that trailer beat you to death with swaying and bouncing.
Like a vehicle strapped down by the axles and moving independently of the trailer?

I don't think you would notice a difference with springs left on the camper or not. The guy I seen had a 30ft tag on top of his gooseneck bolted down by the springs and I think if he could make it without killing a bus of nuns then the one in question here can make it work. Makes it easy to just jack the trailer up put axles back under it and roll it off.

Back