let's talk bikes, again.

kilby

I'm looking for a motorcycle... something not too expensive... fun to ride, but not over the top. It'd be my first bike, btw.

I really like the SV650. Like the way it looks, how it feels to sit on, pricepoint, etc.

I found a bike at a dealer here in charlotte that's a similar style, but a 250cc.
It's an AlphaSports Comet (a naked sport bike). That's the US name of Hyosung Motors from what I can tell.
GT250NakedProfile.jpg

Who knows anything about these? I've read they make great commuters, and get good mileage. They aren't as abundant as the big brands, but are they crappy? The price on this one is DEFINITELY right. Makes it enticing.

Even being a new rider you will be sorry later on that you got a 250. Don't go to much higher than a 650 being you are new rider. And go with something you will get a good resale on after you get used to it and get exp. Stay away from the Kantana (can-o-tuna). Shop around hard and sit on as much as you can. If you got buds then try thier stuff in a Parking lot (safely) and see what you think.

Yeah, my friend let me borrow his CBR600 this week, and I'm afraid after riding that that anything less in CC's will feel like a TOTAL DAWG.

But the price on the lil 250 is great, and i really just want something to commute on right now until I figure out what "kind" of rider I am...

I should just stick to my guns and go with the SV650, huh?

I've read that the details that make the difference between a low-end bike and a good bike are lacking, big time in the hyosung's, and parts availability makes Aprilia look good.. (meaning, it sucks donkey balls)

I was looking at the 650 for a possible fun/track bike, and read about the low quality of the suspension, things just not working, rust on the frame (steel I'm guessing), cheap components being used, etc..

If you don't like the SV, lemme know.. :D

But I think the 250 would be just fine as long as you don't spend alot of time on the highway, and you'll get like 1000MPG.. People ride EX250's all the time..

i rode a ex250 for about a month before i got my cbr600rr. The 250 will really suprise you on how quick it is, also with about 60mpg it does pretty well. I went on the highway with it and cruised at 80 with no problems. It is a lighter bike so the wind factor does affect you a bit. But if your looking for mainly a commuter go for it, i wanted more power so i got it.

Another excellent starter bike is the Kawasaki Ninja EX 500. They are plenty fast, but have a much less volatile nature than a 600cc inline 4. That was my first bike, and I really missed it. So now I have one for the track. A modern 600 such as the cbr600rr is really too much bike for a beginner bike. Many people have been fine starting on them, but just as many have killed themselves. Everyone thinks they have enough restraint, but saying and doing are two different things.

I bought my first Ninja for $1400, and sold it a year and a half later for $1800. My current trackbike i bought for $1100. A good site to find them on is www.ex500riders.com or the cycletrader, or ebay.

This thread may help: http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58042

I just picked up a KTM 625 supermotard. Its crazy fun. Light,quick, comfotable seating position (can't handle a crotch rocket!)
something worth looking at!

I ride a 04' KLR650. Its a fun bike to play on. I take it on the easy trails sometimes, although its definitly not a dirtbike. It is fun to jump curbs and ditches if I'm feeling froggy. Check out some used on/off type bikes.
apersonalpages.tds.net__eflanagin_KLR.jpg

Guys, this is a first bike here.. motards? KLR? let's just throw him on a Mr. Turbo ZX-14.. :p

Motards do look like a freakin ball... I'd like to track one.

Rich said:
Motards do look like a freakin ball... I'd like to track one.

They're GREAT for the tight stuff. Several locals at shady have them and really put a hurtin in the sportbikes...My buddy Brian had KTM Duke II...and OH the fun we had

awww.troybaker.com_tlr_brianstoppie2.jpg

But the seat and vibration made anything more than 80 mile rides a nightmare

I would stay away from the hyosung for a few reasons....but the BIGGEST reason is PARTS and SERVICE

You can get a honda hornet or hawk, ninja 250 or 500 for $2000 in GREAT condition with every single part in abundance all day long (220 cycle salvage) for CHEAP.

It took me 12 years to drop my first bike, but I'm slowly becoming an expert at it :D So think ahead....if you're a typical rider, there will be a stoplight-snafu, or a brain fart drop......what'll that cost you on a hyosung as opposed to being able to get a used part for a ninja etc.

And don't fret about a used bike...they make em so damn good these days you'll not have any issues more than likely. And unless you buy one NEW you'll get within $100 of what you paid for it when you sell it and move to a bigger bike within a year. So it's NOT a bad investment by any means.

kilby said:
Who knows anything about these? are they crappy? The price on this one is DEFINITELY right. Makes it enticing.

Getting back to my original question... I was kinda looking for some info (if there is any) on this particular bike. Wondering if anybody was familiar with 'em. Would it be a bad purchase, etc etc.

edit... ah, yes. Thanks, Troy.

PS- another thing is ergo...
Riding my buddy's CBR600RR for more than about 15-20 minutes makes my hands go numb. Are there some posture rules-of-thumb I don't know about? They didn't really address that in the MSF course. :eek:

Back