little LS swap help, Gen 3

Nah it’s driven by the front accessory drive of a 65L diesel (notice the lack of decimal)
But yeah @BigSouth ….we are tiny in the power plant world
now I am impressed.....good lawd. I never considered the accessory drive...dag nabit. The keyed shaft sent me poking the bear.

I do know that the Cummins I swapped in my K30 is easily cooled with an Advance Auto electric fan, although I do have a Taurus or Volvo fan (don't remember which one it is) to swap on it one day. Hell, the fan on that one rarely ever kicks on. It just has a stock, 1st Gen Dodge radiator in it. I think it'll get up around 190 if it sits still for a while, but with if the fan kicks on/any forward movement/raised RPM, it cools back down very quickly.

Over in the Duramax world, on the other hand, the only people who get away with electric fans are mostly dedicated race trucks or strictly highway drivers. I want to say I read a forum post by an actual GM engineer (who was also a Duramax enthusiast) that said the stock fan, with the clutch engaged) could move right at 10,000 cfm. I can only imagine what kind of power/fuel economy that robs, but it's interesting to think about having a 600+ hp fan on my truck. If they made some electric ones that'd handle the job and fit in the given area, I'd love to see how much more pep the truck has!

They engage and disengage based on rpm not temp

The rest of your points: very valid, no disagreement. This one though...do huwhatt?

That's what that little bi-metallic spring does 🤷‍♂️

20210927_004310.jpg

That said, I do certainly prefer an electric fan myself. I did the 05+ truck fan swap on my 99 Silverado and they're pretty sweet.

Last edited:
This one though...do huwhatt?
The video he included mentioned a fan with a fluid filled clutch that engages on RPM. Based off centrifugal force.

The video he included mentioned a fan with a fluid filled clutch that engages on RPM. Based off centrifugal force.

I saw that...although, I can't think of ever seeing one like that in person. I'm curious to know what application used it.

I saw that...although, I can't think of ever seeing one like that in person. I'm curious to know what application used it.
It's simple. A dick contest, and i personally both contestants.

One is a electrical engineer who knows his shit, But pulls for Clemson because he has gender identity issues.
The other is a nuke engineer who just built a Badass buggy.

I have seen them both pee.
It's a dead even tie.

I agree with you on many aspects and like e-fans on my cars too, but this is complete utter BS.
CFM numbers that are throw around like that are the bane of any enthusiast that is trying to understand the engineering and airflow of fan design.

When you see an OEM HD application anything move to e-fan, let me know.

Just to clarify. The spirit of this discussion being ls swaps (inherently means you're chasing intrinsic HP) and off-road vehicles. Youre raising a point of wonton trucks, diesels, and tractor trailers?

I didnt think i spoke broadly across all applications? I know i certainly tried to emphasize "my* thoughts and preferences with no "push" to convince another...

Just to clarify. The spirit of this discussion being ls swaps (inherently means you're chasing intrinsic HP) and off-road vehicles. Youre raising a point of wonton trucks, diesels, and tractor trailers?

I didnt think i spoke broadly across all applications? I know i certainly tried to emphasize "my* thoughts and preferences with no "push" to convince another...

Your CFM numbers were wrong. LS swaps or not.

I'm far from being a fan / cooling engineer, but I know that you cannot just throw CFM numbers like that. First, because it's lacking a source, second because even if there was one, it wouldn't say 5000CFM for the Volvo fan.

This is definitely a discussion far away from the original idea of this post, not sure we want to sway this way.

I do know that the Cummins I swapped in my K30 is easily cooled with an Advance Auto electric fan, although I do have a Taurus or Volvo fan (don't remember which one it is) to swap on it one day. Hell, the fan on that one rarely ever kicks on. It just has a stock, 1st Gen Dodge radiator in it. I think it'll get up around 190 if it sits still for a while, but with if the fan kicks on/any forward movement/raised RPM, it cools back down very quickly.

Over in the Duramax world, on the other hand, the only people who get away with electric fans are mostly dedicated race trucks or strictly highway drivers. I want to say I read a forum post by an actual GM engineer (who was also a Duramax enthusiast) that said the stock fan, with the clutch engaged) could move right at 10,000 cfm. I can only imagine what kind of power/fuel economy that robs, but it's interesting to think about having a 600+ hp fan on my truck. If they made some electric ones that'd handle the job and fit in the given area, I'd love to see how much more pep the truck has!

The rest of your points: very valid, no disagreement. This one though...do huwhatt?

That's what that little bi-metallic spring does 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 387074

That said, I do certainly prefer an electric fan myself. I did the 05+ truck fan swap on my 99 Silverado and they're pretty sweet.

Sorry should have specified. Yeah that one statement was exclusive for non-thermal mech fans.

Shoot i think they even make electronic clutches now too!

One day we will be fanless and alt free. The rads will be fin free. There will be a massive TEG on each rad charging the battery bank. When you get home you plug up your gas powered engine with a TEG, to your panel and feed all that extra energy into the grid eliminating your power bill for the day. Next day, repeat.

It's simple. A dick contest, and i personally both contestants.

One is a electrical engineer who knows his shit, But pulls for Clemson because he has gender identity issues.
The other is a nuke engineer who just built a Badass buggy.

I have seen them both pee.
It's a dead even tie.
While your post contains no lies...the argument at hand was actually @BigSouth and @ckruzer (ruzer posted the vid)
I just posted a cool pic of a fan that was literally 10' away from me when I read the thread.

Back