little LS swap help, Gen 3

These cheap freaking eBay intakes can kiss my a** lol, they get 1 star for looking good.
20221207_080839.jpg
20221207_080825.jpg
20221207_080815.jpg

Looks like a factory Chevy hose.

For fbody engines you get the rad with driver side upper port. For the others, its a passenger side port rad. iirc

Was making a joke, because it sucks trying to make that much hose look good

If he really gets into these swaps he should buy an inventory of 90s 45s and 22.5s hose connectors. Aluminum single wall pipe. And then he can construct whatever beautiful angles he wants, and even powdercoat the pipe.

I mean, if the goal was classying it up, I'd install a dual pass rad with both inlet and outlet on the passenger side, as you mentionned.

But this will do the trick just fine and doesn't look too bad IMO.

I mean, if the goal was classying it up, I'd install a dual pass rad with both inlet and outlet on the passenger side, as you mentionned.

But this will do the trick just fine and doesn't look too bad IMO.
so he bought radiator and stuff before we ever met, brought it and said can you make it work. I get a lot of that lol, it sucks, but it is what it is. So sure I made it work, just like the intake, but at their cost and some aesthetics (radiator hose haha). But as you said, it's not terrible

Did you have to call a plumber to get that many feet of upper rad hose installed?
after like 30min of looking, there it was popped up out of nowhere and said to myself "that sucker looks like it was meant for this" LMBO and sure enough it was. I'm not crazy about it but he wanted to make that 400 radiator work so I made it work.

I like that you retained the mech fan. Should cool fine.
Yeah me too, simple, will always cool no matter what

Everything always can fail. To me, its about controlling where it fails. You could argue a mech fan, when it fails, will just be locked in to spin at rpm. There are several cons to that. An efan, i know i can get great life out of and its easy to carry spare wire and hardwire to a battery when in a pinch. I can also control its speed depending on my application

Everything always can fail. To me, its about controlling where it fails. You could argue a mech fan, when it fails, will just be locked in to spin at rpm. There are several cons to that. An efan, i know i can get great life out of and its easy to carry spare wire and hardwire to a battery when in a pinch. I can also control its speed depending on my application
I mean, really. How often does a mechanical fan fail? I know it happens, but to not use one for that specific reason is silly.

I mean, really. How often does a mechanical fan fail? I know it happens, but to not use one for that specific reason is silly.
This.
I will always prefer an OEM mechanical fan over an aftermarket electric. They cool better at all RPM ranges and if you were to have a failure, you get one at nearly any parts store.

I agree with that. Ive never had a new mech fan fail on me during the ownership of a vehicle (neither an efan either)

I dont like mech fans because they dont turn at water pump speed. They reduce fuel econ. They engage and disengage based on rpm not temp. They increase wear on water pumps, and moreso if you do water crossings. They cant be programed to come on when the AC comes on. Many fan cfm are in the 2k(-) range. A mark 8 efan is upwards of 5k. Then there is brand new products with even higher specs.

I like efans because:

More HP
More CFM options
Less noise
Less drag
Consistent airflow
Risk to rad from water crossing (flex fans only)
Reduced wear on the water pump
Its more versatile in swaps (sizing) while still hitting proper cfm goals
Controllable from the drivers seat (like this in both crawl and racing applications)
Can be operated after engine shutdown for a cool down period
Can be programmed to come on with AC so AC runs more efficient

I used to be a mech fan purist. Then i became a efan purist when i ventured down the turbo rabbit hole. Now i just have *my* preferences. To each their own, ymmv.

I think alot of fan misinformation is a result of noobs who have done one swap speaking with authority on forums. And then another noob comes and reads it, then then tells other noobs asking "which one" the new "facts they now know". At the end of the day, if you have a shroud, and the right CFM for your application - then who cares: you do you. I am definitely not fit to cast any stones because I have definitely installed shiitake many times that i later wished I had installed the "other" option.

Fun Engine Masters Episode *I* enjoyed:

Last edited:
Many fan cfm are in the 2k(-) range. A mark 8 efan is upwards of 5k. Then there is brand new products with even higher specs.
[...]
A mark 8 efan is upwards of 5k.

I agree with you on many aspects and like e-fans on my cars too, but this is complete utter BS.
CFM numbers that are throw around like that are the bane of any enthusiast that is trying to understand the engineering and airflow of fan design.

When you see an OEM HD application anything move to e-fan, let me know.

Last edited:
IMany fan cfm are in the 2k(-) range. A mark 8 efan is upwards of 5k. Then there is brand new products with even higher specs.

Just to stir the pot, Im sitting here working on a cooling system package right now this afternoon and the mechanical fan is 102,00 CFM...you aint getting there with a e-fan....well you could. But youd lose a whole bunch of ekW which kinda defeats the purpose in my world.

But I am dealing with just shy of 3,000,000 BTU/hr of heat rejection to handle

This should handle it

B003C027-3FE0-4ACB-8950-2F0EDC66E5CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Just to stir the pot, Im sitting here working on a cooling system package right now this afternoon and the mechanical fan is 102,00 CFM...you aint getting there with a e-fan....well you could. But youd lose a whole bunch of ekW which kinda defeats the purpose in my world.

But I am dealing with just shy of 3,000,000 BTU/hr of heat rejection to handle

This should handle it

View attachment 387023
Hehehe. To stir back just for fun.....I see a tensioner pulley. Guessing belt driven by: Electric motor? :p:laughing:

If you really wanna play the “one up” game, how bout a 13’ cooling tower fan. One of 13 on a tower, 3 towers per unit, cooling roughly 750,000 GPM on the condenser of a steam driven turbine generator at a Nuke station. Is that HD enough for you @Bebop ? And ain’t that fan @Ron posted cute…

All electric!!

Hehehe. To stir back just for fun.....I see a tensioner pulley. Guessing belt driven by: Electric motor? :p:laughing:
Nah it’s driven by the front accessory drive of a 65L diesel (notice the lack of decimal)
But yeah @BigSouth ….we are tiny in the power plant world

Back