Living with a locker

ponykilr

Old Crow
I bought a really clean 98 12v Ram from a buddy. It was his dad’s who is deceased. It is a RC 2WD.

I have some trouble when it is dry getting up my drive as it isn’t equipped with a LSD…especially with a trailer.

I want to add something to the D70 and I believe a Trutrac is the best option. The issue is they do not make one in 32spline for the D70. So to do it I need to swap to similar year 35spline D80 axle shafts.

There are clutch LSDs available for 32spline but not sure how they’ll do over time. They typically wear out and stop working.

Another cheaper DIY option is a lunchbox locker. How aggravating is a ratcheting locker on a daily driven full size pickup?

I won’t be driving it on snow and ice. Definitely some rain though.

Will I hate it?

IMG_2666.jpeg

Go with the clutched LSD. That's exactly the use-case they are designed for. In a hundred thousand miles, it might wear out, but in a hundred miles you'll hate the other options.

Definitely not the cheapest option, but I believe ARB makes a 32 spline locker for that axle... Open when you don't need it. Locked when you do. Plus on board air just in case.

I DD'd a CUCV for a couple of years (rear Detroit). It burned up rear tires and loved to step out in the rain.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the Dodge has a helical geared LS and also likes to go sideways everywhere. Drivability is more pleasant, though.

I DD'd a CUCV for a couple of years (rear Detroit). It burned up rear tires and loved to step out in the rain.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the Dodge has a helical geared LS and also likes to go sideways everywhere. Drivability is more pleasant, though.
Yes,use the gear to build hydraulic force to apply limited slip type action. My truck is equipped. Can't say if ever really felt it work roughly. I'm notorious for just pulling the lever to not tear up grass. I haven't really ever broken in loose though and one wheel pealed dead spots in the yard. The few times I have really needed 4wd both rear tires hunted for traction the entire time....so the short vs. is it works as it should. No funky clutch friction additive either.

Surprising it doesn’t have some form of lmtd slip. Most second gen diesels had them. The 4 I’ve had were still very stout at 300k+. One in my truck now is stock at 308k and just pulled a loose gravel hill last weekend with 6 5x5 hay bales on the trailer. Bit of wheel hop but both rears just kept chugging up the hill.

The factory Mopar lsds you'd be lucky to get 15-20k out of. Since it's 2wd I'd buy an arb and be done.
Maybe with some weight on it, but a RCLB 2wd truck with teeny tires that is front heavy?

I can get the Yukon Duragrip in 32 spline. Not a lot of info. It is a clutch LSD.

I have a Spartan lunchbox locker in the rear on my Tacoma and I used to DD it on 33s and it was fine. Like a week of getting used to it and it was fine after that. Now the trucks my wheeler, but I drive it to and from the trails and also can pull DD and I can't even tell it's there. It will bark the tires if you make a hard right turn and punch it and stuff like that, but I say go for it. I even had to drive it back from the ranch in heavy snow and ice in 2wd and it wasn't bad. I was expecting a white knuckle ride, but not bad at all actually.

Aftermarket has them (cut to length) relatively economical. Plus side is you have a LSD that won't wear out. That offsets the additional cost of replacing it rebuilding a clutch style in a short time.
Do you happen to know the axle lengths?

Do you happen to know the axle lengths?
Not off hand. But companies like Yukon sell extended spline length 35 spline shafts. Cut em to proper length with angle grinder and you're set
You can get 4340 chromo or more economical stock level shafts.
ECGS would be the best bet for the parts.

Wouldn't take long to pop the shafts out and check the length.

Honestly seems cheaper and easier to find an axle that already has what you want instead of messing in the diff and buying a LSD/locker new shafts.

Back