Living with a locker

Honestly seems cheaper and easier to find an axle that already has what you want instead of messing in the diff and buying a LSD/locker new shafts.
Ding ding ding! Car-part.com is your friend. Carguts has a 3.55 for $800, there is a 4.10 for $700 but a much longer drive away from you.

I DD'd a CUCV for a couple of years (rear Detroit). It burned up rear tires and loved to step out in the rain.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the Dodge has a helical geared LS and also likes to go sideways everywhere. Drivability is more pleasant, though.
BULLSHIT!!! A 6.2 dont have enuf ass to spin anything.:laughing:

I ran a detroit in a 14 bolt w 38.5 boggers for forever.The first 5/6 times I went to harlan I ran it up INT 81 70/75 mph no problems.Ive drove it to Tellico,Windrock and a bunch of local places. Outside of a slight push from it locking I never noticed it.

Carguts has a 3.55 for $800, there is a 4.10 for $700 but a much longer drive away from you.

Good luck getting anything from them anymore. I used to buy axles 4 at a time from them. Got to be on a good first name basis. Then the whole place burned down. Since then I haven't been able to get a thing.

BULLSHIT!!! A 6.2 dont have enuf ass to spin anything.:laughing:
100% true. It would step out in corners (in the wet) and scrub the inside tire every time you turned right.

Agreed aside from the newest 2nd Gen is what, 22 years old? I'd wager the LSD in it is slap worn out.
Shush. Don't remind me of how old my particular Dodge is getting.

I've never driven with one in a long wheelbase truck, only a jeep. I don't really have any issues in my Jeep and didn't in past ones. Yes, the typical tire wear and chirping if you are powering thru a corner. I think the only thing that would deter me is the tire wear.

Got Detroit lockers in trail truck and has been a daily driver, one in my F350 daily driver/tow rig/ do anything I need it to and as long as you keep the tire pressure up and drive like you got sense you never know it’s there. Low air pressure and it’ll chirp the tires sometimes, drive like a teenager and you can spin circles like a sports car with a 350 on 35s

I had Tarheel Four Wheel Dr., install an Auburn in my 93 Chevy 1500, way back. Worked flawless, but did use the Anti-slip additive. No big deal. Don't know if it's offered for your truck.

Well more reading has shown a flaw in part of the TruTrac idea. The 35 spline for D70s may not work in 70U. Pirate had a thread in which it was discussed that there are differences D70 models/bearings or some such and the 35 spline diff fits a different D70 axle.

I read some good reviews of the Yukon Duragrip which is a clutch unit. Truck is road driven except my 3/4 mile gravel drive so maybe it won’t wear out too fast.

Found a few online in the $800 range instead of $1100 retail. Probably going this route as the best compromise.

I could put it in but I don’t have a spreader. May ride up to see “crock man Treadaway” soon.

Well more reading has shown a flaw in part of the TruTrac idea. The 35 spline for D70s may not work in 70U. Pirate had a thread in which it was discussed that there are differences D70 models/bearings or some such and the 35 spline diff fits a different D70 axle.

I read some good reviews of the Yukon Duragrip which is a clutch unit. Truck is road driven except my 3/4 mile gravel drive so maybe it won’t wear out too fast.

Found a few online in the $800 range instead of $1100 retail. Probably going this route as the best compromise.

I could put it in but I don’t have a spreader. May ride up to see “crock man Treadaway” soon.
You won't need a spreader. That's an easier one to do. Put the new one on a flat machined surface beside your old one. If the deck heights are the same, swap the ring gear over and press on new bearings. That one will shim outside the bearings.
Check backlash prior to tear down and get as close as you can to that reading with the new one.
I'll take your money. But this one won't be that bad.

I put a DuraGrip in my buddy's 01 Dodge with a 70U. Can confirm they're nice and tight and will spin both tires on the pavement :D It seemed like the best option available. ECGS hooked me up with the LSD and some new carrier bearings for a damn good price. I picked up two bottles of the Yukon additive as well. Had to do some looking to confirm how much additive to how much gear oil though. So far, it's been a trooper!

Edit: Easier than the Dana 80/TrueTrac route, better when towing than a lunchbox locker, and beefier than the factory style LSD which would require replacing the carrier anyway. In the event the clutches do wear out, they're fairly inexpensive to throw a new set of clutches in! Although, a Dana 80 SRW swap with disc brakes and a TrueTrac would have been sweeeeet.

20230505_164355.jpg

Last edited:
Back