Looking for some trail advice - where to go with stock jeep

benmack1

As you can likely see from my avatar, I have a fully stock jeep (03 wrangler). I am not a hard core wheeler by any estimation. Actually not even a wheeler I guess, but looking to get out a bit and take my kids and wife on some rides. I have been reading on here for awhile. I am looking for advice on where I can go trail riding or some light 4-wheeling but I don't want anything extreme to tear up the rig. Anywhere in NC, VA, SC or even WV would be of interest. I had the wrangler to tow behind my motorhome so I can drag it behind the pick-up and go for a weekend or whatever as I wish.

Are there any trails at URE (never been down there) that are just forest roads or is everything rock laden or steep climbs like I see in the pics on here. I'd like to go do some camping with the family and get out and not only ride but also watch some of you guys but my jeep would never take the stuff I see on here. It's only a 4 cyl anyway, no lift, nothing special and would never take the types of things I see in many of the pics (pretty impressive but not for me right now). I'd like to hang out and take it all in but don't want to get in the way. Any suggestions on other places to consider or how to get involved? Thanks for any advice!

Uwharrie would definately be youre way to go, alot to ride there that requires no mods. The fall jamboree is next weekend at ure, come out to that and im sure youlll find someone to show you around a little.

A lot of the trails at Uwharrie - even the most difficult ones, have bypass routes that allow stock vehicles (well, Jeeps for sure) to ride nearly everywhere. There are a couple that don't. Hook up with a group going on a ride, and certainly the Jamboree will have many, and you'll have little problems and help if you do.

all jokin aside man be very carful you are where most of us started!!! in a year that thing be caged full hydro on stickies haha
oh and anothet vote for ure its family fun and for watching find kodac rock its usually a good show have fun!!

^^ this is no joke my runner I've had for a year and its gettin set up for 38-40s.

Sent from my smart box using Tapatalk

sounds like you would want to stay away from Daniel trail at Uwharrie, but everything else should be fine, if its dry. Dutch John and Dickey Bell trails should be avoided if its wet. With a stock Jeep, you could do all the Uwharrie trails without carnage, but it doesnt sound like you want to try...which is fine, to each his own, the potential for carnage is certainly there.

Most of the pictures you see are of 3 spots in the whole trail system. If it is dry,you will be fine riding with my group.I don't thin we have a single rig this time out on anything larger than 33s, with mine being 62 years old riding on 7 inch wide tires.It might be best,if you come out sat.,meet with us,and start out riding shotty with one of us,just to see what some of the trails are.When you see what is going on,then get your rig and cruise along with us.No pressure to do anything that you aren't comfy with. Now if it rains, and the trails stay wet,just ride shotty and get in some seat time.DON'T let the rain stop you from coming. You got a group to ride with sat. if you want.

Most of the pictures you see are of 3 spots in the whole trail system. If it is dry,you will be fine riding with my group.I don't thin we have a single rig this time out on anything larger than 33s, with mine being 62 years old riding on 7 inch wide tires.It might be best,if you come out sat.,meet with us,and start out riding shotty with one of us,just to see what some of the trails are.When you see what is going on,then get your rig and cruise along with us.No pressure to do anything that you aren't comfy with. Now if it rains, and the trails stay wet,just ride shotty and get in some seat time.DON'T let the rain stop you from coming. You got a group to ride with sat. if you want.

Excellent, thanks a ton for the offer. You folks are great. I will see if I can get down there. Where abouts would I come to in order to meet up and about what time?

Eldorado Outpost on highway 109 is the place where 99.9% of the meetups occur. You can buy your trailpass here ($5/day), fillup on gas and food, etc.

all jokin aside man be very carful you are where most of us started!!! in a year that thing be caged full hydro on stickies haha
oh and anothet vote for ure its family fun and for watching find kodac rock its usually a good show have fun!!

That's hilarious. I know what you mean. I started with a wrangler because I thought it would be good to pull behind the motorhome (which it was). Then I got hooked a bit on jeeps and bought a 72 CJ5 for a frame off restoration which is currently underway and going well. I just didn't want to get in over my head half way down a trail and end up holding up the whole place or with a costly damage not knowing what I'm getting into. I'd like to have some fun of course with the rig and actually use the jeep a bit otherwise I can just like you said drive around the mall parking lot.

Go to ure, you won't be disappointed and it is much more fun in a stock or light mod vehicle.

Uwharrie Off Road Training Center, 4026 NC Hwy 109 North, Eldorado, NC is where the Jamboree will be held and where you can hook up with LOTS of different folks for a trail ride. UORTC would also be a good place to get some education on 4wd in general. They have a 4WD101 clas the end of Oct which would be very beneficial!

I am very familer with the Marlinton WV area, lot of forest service roads, lot of destination wheeling..sights and things to do on the trail..hit me up if you need more info

828-446-9137

aaron

I'm plannin on havin bfast cooked by 7 and cleaned up between 7;30 and 8 .I want to run up to the outpost between 8 and 8:30.Try to meet us there if you can around that time also. We'll pick up trail passes and food.

The outpost is on 109.You will see a store that sits a little off the highway and there will be vehicles parked all in the grassy area to the left.

I'm plannin on havin bfast cooked by 7 and cleaned up between 7;30 and 8 .I want to run up to the outpost between 8 and 8:30.Try to meet us there if you can around that time also. We'll pick up trail passes and food.

OK, great. I'm going to see how the end of the week looks, but I think this should work out just fine. Thanks again, I'll try to find you there. I think I read some of your other posts - your the willys with windshield down right?

Quick question guys. I am dying to go down to Uwharrie but all I have is my 2500 Dodge diesel. It's got a 3 inch Carli suspension and 35's but I am kinda worried about its size. Are the trails too narrow or could I get through them with a 3/4 ton diesel? Thanks in advance.

If your not afraid of some Kentucky pinstripes and dents go for it but my buddy just took his fj80 out and it got pretty tight to caving in a body panel.

Sent from my smart box using Tapatalk

I guided a new lifted ford raptor 4 door on 37,s through ure saturday, it was tight and a slow go but it is doable.

Quick question guys. I am dying to go down to Uwharrie but all I have is my 2500 Dodge diesel. It's got a 3 inch Carli suspension and 35's but I am kinda worried about its size. Are the trails too narrow or could I get through them with a 3/4 ton diesel? Thanks in advance.
I have run rocky mtn loop several times in my 02 excurison without damage, but you have to watch 2 spots carefully......

Back