LP on 351

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
Ok, more about the LP

I've now torn off all the EFI parts off of the 351W.

I'm searching for a 4bbl intake, do I need EGR or non EGR manifold?

What distributor should I go to. I've still got the stock one that came with the EFI motor.

What other "motor" parts do I need before I buy "propane" parts??

I know all of this has been asked before, but I can't remember and am waaayyyy to lazy to look up every single LP post.

Rob

Non-EGR.. you don't need any of that emissions crap.. getcha a standard aftermarket intake, like a Performer/Performer RPM...

As for the dizzy... something non-computer controlled.

duraspark. Any 351W/400/460 without TFI/EFI should have what you need.

DUI might be nice, too.

:flipoff2:

Broke ass college student, gotta use what I've got. Plus it won't bolt up to my T18 as easily...
Already had a rebuilt 360 and gave it away....
don't ask me what I was thinking

Hey John, ya got any propane stuff I may need?

I've got some free propane stuff, but its nearly impossible to get ahold of the guy to go get it caus hes out of town all of the time working.

Rob

saf-t scissors said:
duraspark. Any 351W/400/460 without TFI/EFI should have what you need.

DUI might be nice, too.

The 351W is a bastard dizzy. A 302 has a different oil pump drive and the 351C/M, 400, 460 is a different animal.

I bought a ProComp HEI similar to the DUI of $100 off of Ebay last month. Its much easier to run one 12V wire than have to worry about mounting a remote module. Plus you can easily recurve the advance by removing just the cap and rotor. On the Duraspark you have to pull the dizzy and remove the shaft to access the advance. Go with the HEI best bang for the buck.

BUCKETOBOLTS said:
The 351W is a bastard dizzy. A 302 has a different oil pump drive and the 351C/M, 400, 460 is a different animal.

The 302 dizzy is physically skinnier. It's too small dia to fit in the block. The 351C/400/429/460 dizzy is the same as the 351W except for the drive gear.

Alrighty class, on the right is a stock points distributor out of my 302. On the left is the HEI conversion distributor out of my 351W. They are similar as far as the parts that fit in the block and will interchange, Except for the oilpump drive, which is 1/4" on the 302 and 5/16" on the 351W. Also note the HEI is taller only because due to the size of the cap and proximity to the intake. What you need is a 351W distributor, not a C/M or other big blocks.

Attachments

• Dizcompare1.JPG
    Dizcompare1.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 290
  • Dizcompare2.JPG
    Dizcompare2.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 292
  • Dizcompare3.JPG
    Dizcompare3.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 295
I'm in the same boat. My 85 Bronco had a computer controlled distributor. I was able to connect power to the correct wires to get it to run, but from what I have read no spark advance is possible without the computer connected so it will probably not run very well. The most I have done so far is drive it around the yard, so it is hard to tell. I have been planning on buying a dizzy, but don't know enough. MSD units can run almost $300, but then this is on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HEI-...999386298QQcategoryZ33690QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But what is the quality of that component? You get what you pay for. I remember an old AC Delco commercial:
If you are not going to buy name brand parts, then you better buy name brand shoes.

braxton357 said:
Why would you swap from efi to propane...?

$1.79 a gallon vs What ever they want to charge today
Will run completly empty no matter what angle you are on
Pass any and all sniffer tests
Cranks up and runs as if already warm, every time
No injectors or wiring issues

Just to name a few :D

upnover said:

Has anybody actually purchased propane since Katrina?

I understand wholesale prices are up 40%, due to damage to the natural gas infrastructure.

upnover said:
Will run completly empty no matter what angle you are on
Pass any and all sniffer tests
Cranks up and runs as if already warm, every time
No injectors or wiring issues

Just to name a few :D

Yeah, I know....but when you get into the cost per mile of each fuel, 1.80 for pane and 2.50 for gas, they're pretty close to the same. It's just that other than wiring and a fuel pump, gasoline would make life a lot easier. If I weren't so poor I would have gone with efi rather than propane.

2.50 for gas? Where's that, I'll tell Nicole. it's ~2.80-2.90 per gallon here.

If I lost any MPG, it would be less than 10%. If I was to build a higher compression motor, I bet it would be very close to the same.

OTOH, if i had to drive it on the street, it might make me reconsider. But for a trail rig, I LOVE IT!

Before pane became popular in the off-road community, it was used routinely in streetable service vans and cars for the gas companies and other fleet vehicles IIRC. Its been used for years. The economics are finally catching up, dammit.

etjeep said:
Before pane became popular in the off-road community, it was used routinely in streetable service vans and cars for the gas companies and other fleet vehicles IIRC. Its been used for years. The economics are finally catching up, dammit.

Go to Cali, everything from service utilitiy vehicles to cabs are either propane or natural gas.

Thats what I was trying to say. Cali is usually ahead of many trends.. for better or for worse. I've seen conversions on the East Coast as well for a while.

I talked a couple of times with a place in Apex called "Propane tanks and trucks", who used to make a very good business converting all kinds of vehicles to 'pane...

He said that the EPA/DOT/whatever is making it nearly impossible, that you have to certify every single different engine on a chassis differently, and the process costs ~$20k. All they seem to have now is new trucks that they mount the filling bottles on for the local propane gas companies to send out (service trucks)

Sounds like LA's DHS blocking relief workers... :rolleyes:

OK, so back to the subject at hand...

a non EGR intake like an eddelbrock performer/rpm

and a non computer controlled dist.?

So far, am I correct?

of course, all for a 351W
And, does anyone have any of this stuff lying around so I don't have to buy new?

Rob

rockcity said:
And, does anyone have any of this stuff lying around so I don't have to buy new?

I have a rusted-out/stripped-out 1984 or 1985 F150 that I'm going to haul to the scrap yard. It has a 351 in it. It is a 2-barrel, so the intake won't work for you, but the distributor might?

How can I tell if it has a 351W, and if it has the non-computer dist. that you need?

Shawn (Saf-T) - you saw this "Boss Hoss" edition truck at my place, you dragged it out and we cut the rear springs off of it.

rockcity said:
OK, so back to the subject at hand...

a non EGR intake like an eddelbrock performer/rpm

and a non computer controlled dist.?

So far, am I correct?

of course, all for a 351W

Rob

get the performer, it keeps the power/torque curve down low where you need it.

I dont have anything left over, I just got rid of it.

You will also find it easier and cheaper to just buy the Performer than try to find a factory 4V intake also. Definately ditch the EGR, no sense in adding something your not going to use.

I have another question, though. Why can't you use the fuel injected manifold for the conversion?

Back