LS to AX15 swap coversion parts..."QuickdrawBrand.Com"???

You could also swap in something greater than a 4.8 and AX15, but some people prefer the hard way.
I agree but I just swap in whatever the customer brings (which has not turned out the best "budget" friendly way, they show up with parts bought, ask me to make it work....then they find out real quick to make it work, it blows their budget way off from what they thought lol..it is what it is)

This far the AX15 has held up nicely to spirited 0 to 60 runs and childish burnouts. :lol:
his AX15 is low mileage and "his plans" is cruising around with wife and having the V8 sound, mild play here and there but never getting stupid lol. (Personally, I think they all say this until it's done and they drive it, ...within a month they're back with "hey, lets change this D35 before I grenade it" LMBO.

thanks for all the replies everyone, going to order the Quickdraw stuff for simplicity of install, I'm trying to stay away from making these complex hahaha (been there twice with the Gen V, and I need a break so this regular LS 4.8 needs to be a breeze)
Post up your experienced with QD when you're done. I'm heavily leaning that way to stick my ax15 behind a very mild vortec 350 in my cj.

I don't know bro, I got a customers TJ here with a Gen V 5.3, factory 3.08 gears on 35s and it down right scary as hell, stupid fast and way fast enough for a TJ short wheelbase street rig. If this had 3.73 gears like he wanted, it would literally be undriveable, as he already has mentioned in the rain, it is almost impossible to get traction. It was tuned for highest power output, running no cats (factory had 3), upgraded intake and like I said, who the hell would wanna go faster than this TJ is personally just asking for trouble...as in wreck lol. 400+HP in a car is one thing, 400+HP in a short wheelbase jeep on 33/35s that probably lifts front end off he ground half inch (lol) when slammed in the floor outta first gear....it's the most insane thing I've ever driven!
3.08 gears aren't helping anything there, as lower gears will help a lot with feeling more planted and stable. The 3.08's require a lot more torsional twist to get the same power to the wheels. Lower gearing uses less torque and more RPM for the same power at the wheels and the same acceleration. Think about it like this: If you are trying to generate 1000ftlbs of torque at the wheels, with a 3.08 gearset, it requires 325 ftlbs of twisting force at the driveshaft, which has to be controlled by the suspension. If you have 4.56 gears, it requires 219ftlbs of twisting force for the same torque output at the wheels. With that said, the torque output of the engine/tranny/t-case combo is still the same, but there is just less resistance to the twist with lower gears.

3.08 gears aren't helping anything there, as lower gears will help a lot with feeling more planted and stable. The 3.08's require a lot more torsional twist to get the same power to the wheels. Lower gearing uses less torque and more RPM for the same power at the wheels and the same acceleration. Think about it like this: If you are trying to generate 1000ftlbs of torque at the wheels, with a 3.08 gearset, it requires 325 ftlbs of twisting force at the driveshaft, which has to be controlled by the suspension. If you have 4.56 gears, it requires 219ftlbs of twisting force for the same torque output at the wheels. With that said, the torque output of the engine/tranny/t-case combo is still the same, but there is just less resistance to the twist with lower gears.
I get this but wouldn't it still be that much more rediculous to drive though? I'm not being light when I say it hauls ass with current setup...I can't possibly imagine it with 4:56 gears...that would be insane being such a drastic climb in gears. Plus with the 3:08 and the 6spd, he's getting really good highway mileage. I think for you and most people here this would be what most would do, but for him (and me if it was mine) I'd leave it alone lol.

I get this but wouldn't it still be that much more rediculous to drive though? I'm not being light when I say it hauls ass with current setup...I can't possibly imagine it with 4:56 gears...that would be insane being such a drastic climb in gears. Plus with the 3:08 and the 6spd, he's getting really good highway mileage. I think for you and most people here this would be what most would do, but for him (and me if it was mine) I'd leave it alone lol.

my ls swap with ax15 was on 4.88 and 37s

In case you don't understand. regardless of your engine. Your gearing ratio is in respect to your tire size.

I can swap an LS7 into a jeep with 5.13 or 3.07 gears and 70 inch tires and it will drive like a pig in either situation. And then now size the RPM range to the engine power band you're targeting.
For 35in tires on a brick, id seriously consider 3.73 to 4.10 gears with an LS swap on true 35s. If you want first gear on that ax15 to be usable, and sacrifice some power (then whats the point of a LS swap...), then maybe 3.55 gears. Or instead of regear, then resize the tires to hit the desired RPM range

Muscle car or Resto-Mod LS swaps tend to shoot for 2000-2100 RPM cruising speed at 65 MPH, while truck and SUV guys shoot a tad higher around 2200-2300. Jeep bricks love to be in the ~2550 RPM - not excessive but a smidge high.

EDIT: Frame of reference. Ax15 first gear is 3.83 I believe and a T56 is in the 2.66? range

EDIT2: BTW, what tranny is in this 5.3 TJ on 35s and 3.08s?

1664540589844.png

Last edited:
BTW, what tranny is in this 5.3 TJ on 35s and 3.08s?
The 6l80..with 4:1 first gear so its got plenty of stupid acceleration lol
The AX15 swap is totally different build

In case you don't understand. regardless of your engine. Your gearing ratio is in respect to your tire size.
Well what I do understand for a fact in real world experience is that TJ on 35s with 3.08 gears 6spd auto with 4:1 first gear is faster than I ever could want a short wheelbase jeep to boogie on down the road.., thats real world behind the wheel talking not what some chart says. That chart has truth for what rpm you want at certain speed but who cares when you've got over 400hp in 4k lb jeep that breaks traction at slight throttle...4.10/4.56 would make it pop wheelies going from 3.08 and in the rain would be stupendous...as if it's not hard enough already when wet. Hey, customer is more than satisfied as am I so that's all that matters.

Grim jeeper has a good calculator. If you plan on street driving, get a combo that puts you around 1750 - 2500 at 70 for most motors to be efficient and not lug or overrev. Especially with a 4.0 they do not like anywhere near 3000 rpm. The transfer case should be where you get your low from, not necessarily the trans or final drive. Sm420 with 6.55:1 still has a 2:1 transfer case in stock applications but only 1:1 on the high side so it would need a low numerical diff to cruise on the highway but with a compound of 13.1 itā€™ll crawl with a low number diff. while an ax15 np231 is around 10 compound range and needs a lower gearing (high numerical) to crawl but with 0.79:1 overdrive it will cruise with a higher numerical diff. Bypassing 1st is not a big deal on the trans, Iā€™d be more worried about being able to cruise at 65-70 and any granny would help in the rocks.

Saying x gearing vs a tire size is leaving out some very important variables (trans and t case) that have a huge impact on drivability

Any of you who's used the quickdraw bellhousing can shed some light on the pivot ball install/ adjustment please? No instructions came with it, company hasn't responded in a week now and thats what I lack in install, thank you

It came with a big long bolt that goes in from backside of new bellhousing with a bunch of washers that says its for pivot ball but no input an installation. Thank you

It came with a big long bolt that goes in from backside of new bellhousing with a bunch of washers that says its for pivot ball but no input an installation. Thank you

might want to post pics of what your're talking about. Is it for the slave cylinder pushrod?

TJ on 35s with 3.08 gears 6spd auto with 4:1 first gear is faster than I ever could want a
Yes those 6L80 will have that. Just like that same engine in the tahoe i had, had it. Youre basing the entirety of your 'viewpoint' on this solely on your first gear experience? Did you ever get out of first gear? You understand how steep 4:1 is right? Compared to final drive 1:1?

But anyways. Sounds like a really bad TCM tune. Some threw some generic banks file at it i bet. With the right TC slip and torque management, you would not be experience any kind of "first gear lurch", just like the stock tahoe does not with a 6.2 engine...

1666109680727.png

1666109695166.png

Any of you who's used the quickdraw bellhousing can shed some light on the pivot ball install/ adjustment please? No instructions came with it, company hasn't responded in a week now and thats what I lack in install, thank you
still need some help with this if anyone has an idea
I'm more curious of what rear axle?
Dana Turdyfive... Good thing the customer doesn't drive it like I would/do cause it wouldn't last long. I did do some hella burnouts and what not with it when I finished it, to test it you know haha, and it held up. An 8.8 swap with long arms is in the planning stages.
Did you ever get out of first gear? You understand how steep 4:1 is right? Compared to final drive 1:1?
well yeah, I drove it up to about 70, did a bunch of WOT 0-70 pulls and that's what I'm basing my info off of. Maybe you got balls of steel but me, nope. Anything short wheelbase lifted on 35s I don't care for speed...it belongs on the trail. Don't get me wrong, it's stupid fun to drive, stupid fast for a jeep but too much for my liking on a DD rig. But remember, this is a customers not mine haha.

Sounds like a really bad TCM tune. Some threw some generic banks file at it i bet. With the right TC slip and torque management, you would not be experience any kind of "first gear lurch", just like the stock tahoe does not with a 6.2 engine..
Do you do tuning? If so, I have another customer with an LJ and the same Gen V 2018 powertrain but he's on Tons/40s/etc and he want every bit of power and proper shifting he can get...so if you do remote tuning, I have HP Tuners so let me know if your interested

Post up pics of what you got

Is there a reason you're doing mostly Gen V swaps? Hard to beat Gen III/IV stuff for swaps imo.
no that's just what customers brought/bring lol. I agree they're not the best deal price wise, at least not generally speaking.
95% of customers who come to me for LS swaps, they've already bought parts and "done their research" lol, which has really bit them in the butt doing that but that's on them, not me. Seems to be common/popular these days, people get on the web and see this and that, start buying up stuff thinking they know what to buy before talking to the actual shop/fabricator about the build and then they bring it and say "this is what I want"..so of course I say sure, and so far they all blow their budget like crazy cause to make their parts work, it takes a crap ton more money than what they thought to make it work. Live and learn, which they do. I hate it for em but nothing I can do. I even have tried to give my input on their setup but a lot of the time, they have it in their mind that's what they wanna run/build so that is what they're gonna go with.

Post up pics of what you got
I will when I get the trans back out of it. Right now I jumped onto samy buggy....oh the joy of multi tasking 4-5jobs at the same time lol

I will when I get the trans back out of it. Right now I jumped onto samy buggy....oh the joy of multi tasking 4-5jobs at the same time lol
Post pictures of the Sami buggy

Post pictures of the Sami buggy
I figured you'd be interested lol. It's a forum member, You've probably seen it on here. I'll get some pics up soon (if they don't get removed LMBO)

Just realized the clutch kit for the ls came with this bearing...but the Quickdrawbrand bellhousing came with the shift fork/ pilot bearing and throw out bearing so what is this little bearing for?
And @chris_heres pics of the pivot ball setup..you ever installed one like this. Thanks guys!
16663601400541167891577589314797.jpg
16663601652208516884243591929497.jpg
16663601785525212251884130823138.jpg

That's two different kinds of throw out bearings.

Back