M101a1 trailer resurrection and rebuild.

Back to work on the trailer today. Got the other side knocked out and working. Added a brace to the front of the brake levers. All she needs is some paint. If I decide to throw a rattle can pant job on it.
IMG_5750.jpeg

IMG_5752.jpeg

IMG_5755.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5756.jpeg
    IMG_5756.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5757.jpeg
    IMG_5757.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Decide hell you done all that and maybe your gonna paint WTF :dumbass:
It's going to get used. I'm tinkering with linex in the tub. I'm not a painter and I put some black on the bare metal I have added.

Understand that hose turbo cans cover pretty well

Heck yeah they do. Just be cleaned. Prepped and ready to move once you let loose on that spray nozzle !
I don't think I understand this.... My biggest hang up is the data plates. I guess I can drill the rivets out buy a gun and try to rivet them back on. IDK we shall see. I still have ot buy some tires assuming the 11R16's are too big loaded. The tub is in decent shape and if I paint the frame don't I have to paint it?

I don't think I understand this.... My biggest hang up is the data plates. I guess I can drill the rivets out buy a gun and try to rivet them back on. IDK we shall see. I still have ot buy some tires assuming the 11R16's are too big loaded. The tub is in decent shape and if I paint the frame don't I have to paint it?
I have a small rivet gun kit. If you need it, I'll mail it down. You can bring it with ya to the G2G.

I was just saying that those turbo cans lay out a lot of paint in a swath. Not anything like a normal rattlecan. Also, the tip on the turbo cans doesn’t store well so be prepared to use a can in its entirety. I used them when I just redid my trailer. They are pretty awesome!

I was just saying that those turbo cans lay out a lot of paint in a swath. Not anything like a normal rattlecan. Also, the tip on the turbo cans doesn’t store well so be prepared to use a can in its entirety. I used them when I just redid my trailer. They are pretty awesome!
Oh so it's a new fangled can of paint... New to me.

Thanks! I actually called a friend that I have helped with Jeep wise that use to have a body shop here in Hartsville. His wife is getting transferred to Nashville. He said he would love to help me/teach me with the trailer if I buy the materials. So that is where we are. Looks like it's going to get paint assuming he helps.

Thanks! I actually called a friend that I have helped with Jeep wise that use to have a body shop here in Hartsville. His wife is getting transferred to Nashville. He said he would love to help me/teach me with the trailer if I buy the materials. So that is where we are. Looks like it's going to get paint assuming he helps.
For the CARC paint that’s on it use dawn and a heavy bristled scrub brush to wash it with loads of clean water to rinse it down before and then paint prep. That stuff is real finicky about painting over due to how rough it is. It’s a bitch to get real clean for paint adhesion.

For the CARC paint that’s on it use dawn and a heavy bristled scrub brush to wash it with loads of clean water to rinse it down before and then paint prep. That stuff is real finicky about painting over due to how rough it is. It’s a bitch to get real clean for paint adhesion.
CARC must be an Army thing. He mentioned CARC paint too. He's x army too. Rangers I believe.

That wasn’t too bad.
IMG_5959.jpeg

I have a landing gear now.

And we have a bed somewhat in position thanks to the wife. Unfortunately I think my frame is tweaked.
IMG_5963.jpeg
IMG_5964.jpeg

So I discovered on the donor trailer a bolt front center through the tub to the frame. I remembered there was one on my frame. So we now have the tub attached with a bolt. Also pulled four of the tabs and bolts. Man they are trashed.
IMG_5966.jpeg
IMG_5965.jpeg

Cleaned and painted the 4 tabs I had removed from the donor trailer and mounted them. Started working on the lights. I know this is 24v. So can I put 12v bulbs in it or will I need to ditch these and go to regular trailer lights? Also what all is this? One came apart but they both have bolts broken off in the housing. Looks and feels aluminum.

IMG_5968.jpeg

IMG_5969.jpeg

IMG_5971.jpeg

I hate those bolts. Threads are thicker than the shaft. Maybe 1/4”. Thoughts on getting them out?

FWIW the bolts (cap screws) are supposed to be like that as they are meant to stay with the “lane cap” Linda captured if you will. Like you found out the bulbs can be changed out from 24 to 12 no issue. Actually the only thing that changed is the input voltage at the plug. Had a guy try to change bulbs on his own dime to get a truck out of the motor pool and went to Napa thinking he was smart. Bulbs were dim as hell and then realized what he had done lol. The little red boxes inside the light housing are IR “bulbs” for driving with Night Vision so don’t worry about them.

Bolted up the rest of the brackets and tabs. One of the 8 was rough. So I’ll make one from angle iron.
IMG_5974.jpeg

IMG_5975.jpeg

IMG_5976.jpeg
IMG_5977.jpeg

Last edited:
FWIW the bolts (cap screws) are supposed to be like that as they are meant to stay with the “lane cap” Linda captured if you will. Like you found out the bulbs can be changed out from 24 to 12 no issue. Actually the only thing that changed is the input voltage at the plug. Had a guy try to change bulbs on his own dime to get a truck out of the motor pool and went to Napa thinking he was smart. Bulbs were dim as hell and then realized what he had done lol. The little red boxes inside the light housing are IR “bulbs” for driving with Night Vision so don’t worry about them.
On the bulbs. With my truck being 12 volt all I to do is swap bulbs? Not following your story.

Back