M1101 Trailers Who uses them?

NickMaul

NC4x4,

I have been kicking around the idea of needing a utility trailer for a while now. I don’t enjoy having to drop the seats or getting anything nasty inside my XJ or WJ to bring oversized stuff home (ie axles, firewood, tires, etc…). I have seen some people brag about winning auctions on m1101 trailer for less then $500 that are in good condition. I know about the horror stories about getting on bases and the paper work but if one shows up on craigslist or somewhere there isn’t a DoD base then I would be interested in competitively bidding on a good condition trailer.

It looks like m1101 trailers have a curb weight of 1460 lbs. Loaded with stuff maybe 2000 lbs max. From my short research, some have surge brakes and all have parking brakes. I know this wouldn’t be bad for my 4.0 WJ but is this going to be too much for a mild XJ 4.0/AX-15 4.56 gears on metric 34s? I could probably upgrade my brake booster to the larger ones that came in the later XJs but I already have discs on the rear 8.25.

ad330p0bveuoux1.cloudfront.net_i_632_864_473774_6362_159_0001.jpg

ad330p0bveuoux1.cloudfront.net_i_632_864_473774_6362_0_0002.jpg

It would be nice to put camping/offroad gear in the back of one instead of cramming all of it in the back of the XJ for the weekend. Plus it comes with a cool factor :D

What do the trailer/towing gurus think? :usa:

A tandem axle trailer is also about 1500lbs, and has a lot more space. The M1101 has a cool factor, but seems impractical for the size and space. You will have more weight in trailer than gear.

You will have more weight in trailer than gear.

Good Point

For someone that wants a medium of the versatility of the M1101 trailer but not all the weight are you recommending fabbing a frame then finding the axle to work with it? It would be cool to have a axle with electric brakes and 5x4.5 or 5x5 lug for ease of finding wheels.

OR

This is splitting hairs and makes me sound dumber than I might actually be, but what about putting the m1101 on a diet with a smaller axle/suspension for smaller tires/wheel, maybe 33s on aluminum wheels, and maybe taking some metal out of the frame in areas where it isn't so critical.

Like if the frame is boxed throught out, just cut out some sections of the frame and essentially turning it into a thin C channel. I don't think I could put the 1940lb payload limit that would stress the trailer frame in the trailer without burning the brakes off of my jeep.

Last edited:
M101a2 is really what you're looking for.

trailer-1.jpg

Not as plentiful but much more practical.

I toyed with both a M1101 and M101 but just couldn't find a practical use for either in the end. This was made especially difficult because my neighbor Michael was getting them by the dozen there for a while. But I resisted. Just too many OTHER cheaper, more practical options that required no effort or change

You could shave a bunch of weight off a m1101 just by swapping to smaller/lighter tires and wheels. Don't go changing the axle, although you could add electric brakes. The m1101 will look funny because it is so wide, the m101 would look better. Don't plan to run the cargo cover on either, your jeep won't pull them (wind drag).

ALL m1101's have surge/parking brakes. They will handle a LOT more weight than your jeep will. I have had over 3k lbs payload in one with no issues.

M101a2 (most common) is what you want if you get a 101. Has park/surge brakes and regular 8 lug axle, and normal sized tires. M101a3 has HMMWV tires/wheels. M101 has no brakes and odd lug pattern, they are very hard to find though.

DO NOT make a mistake and get a m105!!!

Why not get a 5x8 single axle trailer, basically a lawn mower trailer? Easy to find for sale used, much lighter weight so easier to pull, etc. Can easily handle a few axles, load of tires, ATV or whatever else you need to haul.

@CasterTroy Spot on with the recommendation. It looks like those came from behind the old square body chevy CUCV trucks. If I could stumble upon one of those that would be killer.

You could shave a bunch of weight off a m1101 just by swapping to smaller/lighter tires and wheels. Don't go changing the axle, although you could add electric brakes. The m1101 will look funny because it is so wide, the m101 would look better. Don't plan to run the cargo cover on either, your jeep won't pull them (wind drag).

ALL m1101's have surge/parking brakes. They will handle a LOT more weight than your jeep will. I have had over 3k lbs payload in one with no issues.

M101a2 (most common) is what you want if you get a 101. Has park/surge brakes and regular 8 lug axle, and normal sized tires. M101a3 has HMMWV tires/wheels. M101 has no brakes and odd lug pattern, they are very hard to find though.

DO NOT make a mistake and get a m105!!!

This also bring up another good point. Finding the right wheel/tire combination. I am concerned that buying materials to build something that will look like something of a surplus trailer will easily be triple of what one can win one on an online auction for. Assuming I built everything from scratch then bought an axle and springs to put under it.

Why not get a 5x8 single axle trailer, basically a lawn mower trailer? Easy to find for sale used, much lighter weight so easier to pull, etc. Can easily handle a few axles, load of tires, ATV or whatever else you need to haul.

I feel like when it comes time to sell the trailer (which would eventually happen after the purchase of a truck) a surplus trailer would bring a better return on investment than an old lawn mower trailer I modded to fit my needs.

While overlanding is not really in the scope of this trailer idea, I wouldn't mind adapting a few characteristics of typical overlanding trailers that make having camping equipment easily mobile. Not really having the trailer handle extreme terrain but more the storage and organization.

I really appreciate the comments so far. This is stuff I like to ponder on when it comes to analyzing how I can improve my wheeling experience. Packing up in the back of the jeep blows and being able to load a trailer instead of a trunk area with the seats down is even better.

9 times out of 10 when it comes to packing up from camp to head home equipment and containers usually just end up getting tossed in the back and the back seat and trunk is useless. Luckily I often only attend wheeling trips by myself or 1 passenger.

Back