Massey Ferg tractor repair mechanic

Brownsxj

Does any one on here do tractor repair? This would be an on site diagnosis and/ or repair. It is a 2000 241 MF with a power steering hose problem. Full hydraulic steering with two rams and keep blowing seals at the hose to ram. I have replaced hoses, swapped seals, pulled the rams off checking push/pull, etc. I have been fighting this for months. 10 minutes on a seal and it leaks. Don’t know if it is a pump issue or what.
2F45E6BA-E505-4B1D-8DB3-491484210C76.jpeg

Is there a removable fitting on the ram or does the line thread into a threaded hole drilled/tapped into the ram itself?
Both. The rams are drilled and tapped. One side has new lines that are spun into the ram with a twist connection at the orbital. The other has the factory 45 degree fittings with jam nuts at the ram, with a twist fittings at the orbital.

We had a steering problem several years ago on an older Ford 3000. The first thing the dealer mechanic recommended was checking the pump output pressure to make sure that a relief valve was functioning properly. On that particular tractor we broke a fitting in the steering system and put a T with 3000 psig gauge on it.

Dont know if it will help you, but might be a good trouble shooting tool.

First off, where are you sourcing o-rings ?

Normal Hardware store stuff won’t last long enough in a hydraulic application, using the correct seals for an o-ring face seal will probably cure your issue, but if at all possible, replace the fittings as well, the washer that presses the seal could be distorted, you may not see it, and that’s all it needs is the ununiform fit to blow out.

Your fitting look like this ?
7B059B8C-40C3-4E21-93A8-4927CFA68F0F.jpeg

Go to your hydraulic shop and get a kit like this. They are a higher durometer rubber than standard oring kits
070EF039-B808-4BCC-947A-0DD99F7E2794.jpeg

Edit: I just caught that you are in Durham,

Alliance Hose and Tube on Westgate rd (Gates hose and fittings)

Cross Fittings and Hose in the shopping center at Miami and TW Alexander (Parker hose and fittings) another Cross in Raleigh off Westinghouse and Brentwood (supplies the Durham store)

Raleigh Durham Rubber and Gasket on Lease Ln around the corner from Carmax off Ebinezer Chruch Rd.

Those are the shops I frequent the most, and usually have good service from.
there may be more but I haven’t used them.

Last edited:

Normal Hardware store stuff won’t last long enough in a hydraulic application, using the correct seals for an o-ring face seal will probably cure your issue, but if at all possible, replace the fittings as well, the washer that presses the seal could be distorted, you may not see it, and that’s all it needs is the ununiform fit to blow out.

View attachment 365095

Go to your hydraulic shop and get a kit like this. They are a higher durometer rubber and standard oring kits
View attachment 365096
, using the correct seals for an o-ring face seal will
In my line of work that's a ORB or O ring base fitting.

View attachment 365095

Go to your hydraulic shop and get a kit like this. They are a higher durometer rubber than standard oring kits
View attachment 365096

Edit: I just caught that you are in Durham,

Alliance Hose and Tube on Westgate rd (Gates hose and fittings)

Cross Fittings and Hose in the shopping center at Miami and TW Alexander (Parker hose and fittings) another Cross in Raleigh off Westinghouse and Brentwood (supplies the Durham store)

Raleigh Durham Rubber and Gasket on Lease Ln around the corner from Carmax off Ebinezer Chruch Rd.

Those are the shops I frequent the most, and usually have good service from.
there may be more but I haven’t used them.
Second Raleigh Durham rubber and gasket always have what I need.

I have a older vs. of that tractor. Much older but probably the same style steering. My simply won't turn the wheels. I gotta do a pressure gauge as well.

Were do you guys buy them? Same type of supply store or on line?

@Brownsxj mine has a bunch of JIC fittings and hard line to the orbital.

Is all of yours flex? I'm told I can't buy the hard lines any more. Done had to tig weld a repair on one.

F529C30F-F4AC-4272-AEAE-8946A4BAEFF7.jpeg
2B2D16B3-7695-4AB7-83AB-065EA24B3C79.jpeg

Pics of the fittings.
The fittings I have used have come from A-1 Auto and NAPA. They sold me hydraulic o rings.
The o rings usually will split.
Soft lines to the orbital.

Anything about the bore distorted or burred up. Without a really good seat the oring does not have a chance. Either end is buggered it's all garbage.

Geeze spell check done me no favors..

Last edited:
I have had the tractor for about two years. The previous owner I feel had an issue but the rams were leaking. I replaced the rams and it was fine for 9 months or so. Then started having the seals blowing on the lines.

First photo was new lines with new o rings that I had made from Napa. It is the drivers side. I tried to delete the adapter fittings and went to a “straight hose to ram” connection. One less connection in the line. I used red lock tight to see if it would help. If it worked, then I was going to to the same on the passenger side. The drivers side still blew out.
It blows out no matter what fittings are used. I will look into the pump next.

Last edited:
@Brownsxj Rob, wasn’t sure if you got it figured out but I talked to our guy that does our engine rebuilds and other larger tractor work. He said the steering gear/orbital on that one probably has a pressure relief valve in it and to throw a pressure gauge on and make sure the pressure relief in the orbital is working properly. He would have to check the service manuals to be sure, but from what he remembered on the 200 series Massey’s it should spike up to about 1800-2000psi and hold there. If you crank the wheel more and it creeps higher than the relief valve isn’t working and that’s what is blowing out the o rings most likely. But that is where he would start diagnosing.

Back