MOAB 2014 may 31- june 9th

Jason W.

Dysfunctional Veteran
May 31st - June 9th THESE DATES WILL NOT CHANGE
These are the defenative dates of the spring Moab trip I have put together. I have talked many of the members who had committed to the spring trip and this is our best date. This date will not move, as to give plenty of time to get camping and hotel reservations, being the time of year campgrounds and such will start filling come first of the year.

We will have a meeting about the trip on FEB 22nd (sat) 5pm at Sagebrush in Mocksville, we will discuss any questions that any one has about preparation, gear, lodging, road trip, etc.

My tentative Schedule( some of us are going to caravan together to save on hotel rooms)

Sat may 31st Leave out from home, destination south of St Louis
Sun June 1st Destination Denver Co.
Mon JUne 2nd Destination Moab! Going to go through Arches Nat. Park on the way in, then head into Moab to set up camp, go to grocery store for water, snacks, beverages. Get settled in and meat up with everyone(go sit down and eat).

Tues wheelin! Trails to be determined
Wens wheelin! Trails to be determined
Thurs wheelin! Trails to be determined
Fri wheelin! Trails to be determined.

Sat Pack up and head out, Destination Amarillo TX
Sun Destination West Tennnesee
Mon Get home and wish you woulda stayed in Moab!

Last edited:
Picking Trails! We will go into this into further detail in the Feb meeting on the 22nd (sat) at Sagebrush in Mocksville

Instead of one person designating what trials to ride we can split it up into days, this will give everyone that goes input on what trails to run and not having just one person stressing over the entire 4 days.

Example Tues, JC / Wens, Joe / thurs, Nacoma/ Fri, Brian and so on and put a couple people on each day depading on how many go. You pick the trails run and where to go eat that night to celebrate the day!

One thing I definetly learned from being there, the place is huge, you can get lost or turned around very quickly, we definetly need to stick together to maintain safety and to simply take care of each other.

Those that I know are planning on the trip are;
Debra and myself (driving)
JC and wife Leslie (driving)
Joe Jones (driving)
Nacoma (driving)
Brian(cj777) (Towing)
Josh Price (Towing)

Last edited:
Sounds great! These dates will work great! How far in advance do I need to look at camping reservations?
And Jason , can u post the name of the Moab book that has the trails in it? Thanks.

I have a gps and my tandem trailer if you guys need either you welcome to both...

I will be making reservations very soon, I have decide to stay at the Slickrock Campground where Mike and Myself did last time, It is not very expensive, showers, pool, laundry and 3/4 mile from everything in town. It really doesn't matter where you stay we will stage at a designated place every morning to get everyone together(this will be discussed at the meeting)

Things we will discuss in Feb meeting, Contact list, youre travel and route plans, designating trail days, answer whatever questions there may be.
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/1934838004 Great book to study up on the trails and decide what you would like to run.

http://www.rr4w.com/trails.cfm this is also an informative site from the Red Rock 4wheelers, this is not every trail trail but they are very good descriptions.

Things to think about/ get ready

Is youre Rig/tow rig ready; Full service, fluid changes(oil change before you leave its 4200 miles), how are youre tires, can youre spare handle 70 mph for a good distance.
First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher, spare small parts and Known week point parts.
Mileage is about 4200 miles, I had abot 4400 by the time I got home.
You do not need to pack food or beverages, they have all you need there.
If you are driving youre rig out there, if you do have component failure out there you will have no trouble getting parts or service, you can even get parts delivered on the trail!

I am going to put in reservations later this month, that way I can pick a site that I want( there all sandy with a firepit and a shadetree)

There are going to be events going on while were there, but its just a Horse show, I doubt they will clog the town up that bad, during EJS we were still able to get supper and shop pretty easily.

The new dates work for me. The 7th is my birthday, so the trip will work out to be a nice present for myself :)

I found an article online that I read in JP a while back. Has some info on what is good in moab.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/events/154-1208-best-jeep-trails-of-moab-utah/

sent from my jeep on some trail in the middle of nowhere

We've run most of those. Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim makes for a very long day, but should probably be considered.

Moab Rim wasn't on that list. It's close-by, easy to get to, etc. Not hard, but a little disconcerting because the entire damn trail is off-camber. Nice view of town when you get to the top.

Pretty sure we've done Hell's Revenge and Fins & Things in the same day. Both really good trails.

We did Chicken Corners as probably the first trail we'd run out there. Easy trip, takes the majority of the day. Plan on spending lunch playing in Catacomb Rock.

(We've run most of those. Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim makes for a very long day, but should probably be considered) Qoute

/\This sounds like a really good ride!

Picking trails out there is hard because you have so many choices, I am hoping for a good combo of scenery(pictographs/towers/views and challenge/long distance scenic)
Hells revnge, fins and things are both in the sand flats area which is a pay area and we can probably make a day of it, go watch someone dump their rig on potato salad hill.

There are two trails that I have watched videos on and (just my opinioun) are out of my leage.

Pritchett canyon; buggy country, at EJS the red rock 4wheelers wouldn't allow production based vehicles without inspection, and from the members I talked too it was basically 38'' plus and don't give a :poop:
Behind the rocks; Masive ledges, 10 ft vertical drop off,s(white knucle hill)

My favs so far; seven mile rim, top of the world, hells revenge, fins and things,kane creek canyon,poisin spyder mesa, gold bar rim, golden spike, moab rim, la sall pass, area BFE

Question, looking at campgrounds you guys take a look at these, see which one yall like best(those of you camping). Would be nice if we all stayed together, good campfire time.
All of these look good, which do you like, Im up for any of them, I am going to make reservations this month, just trying to see what yall like.

Here is the list of all of them!
http://www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds_private.htm

Like the looks of; http://www.archviewresort.com/tentrv.html

Low price, wasn't bad last time http://www.slickrockcampground.com/

Probably nice https://koa.com/campgrounds/moab/site-type/tent-camping-sites

So what yall think!

Last edited:
Looks like it has high ratings too, looks to be about the same rate within a few dollars of the rest.

What do yall think of a group site?

We have stayed in the group campgrounds at Canyonlands and at Slickrock. The slickrock group camps are at the NW corner of the property. Not bad, but not much shade. The Canyonlands group camp was down on the SE corner of the property behind the motel. Both campground are nice, especially in the individual sites, but the group camp at Canyonlands was better.

Anyone else in on a group site?? I called and left a message with canyonlands campground(they are all closed till march 1st) but are taking reservations , said to leave a message, when I find out form them there rate for a group site and individual Ill post up.

Last edited:
Anyone else in on a group site?? I called and left a message with canyonlands campground(they are all closed till march 1st) but are taking reservations , said to leave a message, when I find out form them there rate for a group site and individual Ill post up.
I would be interested in the group site.

Back