Moab trip jeep transport

LBarr2002

We have a group going to Moab the week after EJS. It started out as 3 rigs meeting some friends that will be at EJS and staying the week after. We have one truck pulling double and me pulling my single trailer, 3 drivers in each truck. Planning for 1 or 2 hotel nights on the way out and probably 2 on the way back.

Since we announced to the club that we were going, 4 more rigs have joined. All are towing single or driving their rigs.

Has anyone looked into hiring a whole transporter? Is that even possible? The only experience I have shipping a vehicle is probably 10 years ago we sent a Camry coast to coast and it was about $800. If we could send 7 rigs on their way, all pile into 2 or 3 suvs, drive straight through, it might be worth looking into. It would also allow us to extend our time in Moab a day or 2.

Thoughts?

This is something I have thought about a few times. Never called any transporters or any off-road shops in Moab to ask if they would accept delivery of the rigs and send them on their way after we leave town. Without someone on that end to handle accepting and sending the rigs on their way it won’t work. You will never get a hauler to work with your schedule if for say I want my rig on 4/1/20 @ 8:00 am and you to pick it back up on 4/8/20 @ 5:00 pm. You can get them to get it there a week or so before and pickup a week or so after. Let us know what you find for hauling and if one of the shops around town will help out. Bad thing for when it arrives is EJS and they will be covered up around Moab.

This is something I have thought about a few times. Never called any transporters or any off-road shops in Moab to ask if they would accept delivery of the rigs and send them on their way after we leave town. Without someone on that end to handle accepting and sending the rigs on their way it won’t work. You will never get a hauler to work with your schedule if for say I want my rig on 4/1/20 @ 8:00 am and you to pick it back up on 4/8/20 @ 5:00 pm. You can get them to get it there a week or so before and pickup a week or so after. Let us know what you find for hauling and if one of the shops around town will help out. Bad thing for when it arrives is EJS and they will be covered up around Moab.

We'll have friends out there for EJS the full week before so accepting them early could possibly be arranged. Getting back isn't an issue because we should beat them home. And if not my parents are here.

We'll have friends out there for EJS the full week before so accepting them early could possibly be arranged. Getting back isn't an issue because we should beat them home. And if not my parents are here.
I’m talking about getting them back on the hauler in Moab

I think the best way to do this is to find someone who owns their own truck and would be willing to haul them out and hang around in the area during your trip, or perhaps even join in, and haul them back. Otherwise you run into the issues mentioned above. Most folks want to keep the truck running and making money during that week you are enjoying your trip.

Maybe you could look into a HotShot hauler willing to do it, and they can find themselves a run in the Utah area in between.

It might be worth checking with Pilot Transport.

They heavily promoted them during the HRPT last year and ots of folks used them to ship cars to the start and end point and just drive the trip. This year it finishes up in Madison WI and I have a quote from them that is reasonable...

I have nothing useful to add except that this is an awesome idea.

I think the best way to do this is to find someone who owns their own truck and would be willing to haul them out and hang around in the area during your trip, or perhaps even join in, and haul them back. Otherwise you run into the issues mentioned above. Most folks want to keep the truck running and making money during that week you are enjoying your trip.

The guy pulling the double is a truck driver and potentially could have access to a lowboy, but that would still only get us 3, maybe 4. I think you'd need a stacker trailer to make it worthwhile. We'll have 3 LJs, 1 TJ, 1 JKU, 1 JT, and a Bronco...

If you find a hot shot truck with a 4 car transporter, it’s very possible you could set up a specific delivery day and time as well as pick up. LTL haulers are much less flexible, but if your vehicles are full load of the trailer, the driver is more easily able to meet your delivery day and time because he doesn’t have any other stops while you have vehicles on his trailer.

that also means as soon as jeeps are loaded, he is haulin ass to Moab with no stops along the way and you or someone needs to be there to receive them.

If you find a hot shot truck with a 4 car transporter, it’s very possible you could set up a specific delivery day and time as well as pick up. LTL haulers are much less flexible, but if your vehicles are full load of the trailer, the driver is more easily able to meet your delivery day and time because he doesn’t have any other stops while you have vehicles on his trailer.

that also means as soon as jeeps are loaded, he is haulin ass to Moab with no stops along the way and you or someone needs to be there to receive them.
How does that work with logging and drive / rest time? Wouldn't they have to stop along the way and theoretically if we shift drove in the suv we'd get there first?

How does that work with logging and drive / rest time? Wouldn't they have to stop along the way and theoretically if we shift drove in the suv we'd get there first?
You think like I think, which is the opposite of how my wife thinks.

14 hrs to drive 11 then off for 10....

What Are the Hours-of-Service Limits? The hours-of-service regulations focus on when and how long you are allowed to drive by placing specific limits on the amount of time you drive your truck and how many total hours you can work before you are no longer permitted to drive a commercial motor vehicle. You must follow three maximum duty limits at all times. They are the 14-hour “driving window” limit, 11-hour driving limit, and 60-hour/7-day and 70-hour/8-day duty limits. 14-Hour Driving Window This window is usually thought of as a “daily” limit even though it is not based on a 24-hour period. You are allowed a period of 14 consecutive hours in which to drive up to 11 hours after being off duty for 10 or more consecutive hours. The 14-consecutive-hour driving window begins when you start any kind of work. Once you have reached the end of this 14-consecutive-hour period, you cannot drive again until you have been off duty for another 10 consecutive hours, or the equivalent of at least 10 consecutive hours off duty. Your driving is limited to the 14-consecutive-hour period even if you take some off-duty time, such as a lunch break or a nap, during those 14 hours. **NOTE** If you have a sleeper berth in your vehicle, you may be able to use it to get the required rest and to extend the 14-hour limit. Sleeper-berth provisions will be discussed later in this section. Example: You have had 10 continuous hours off and you come to work at 6:00 a.m. You must not drive your truck after 8:00 p.m. that evening, which is 14 hours later. You may do other work after 8:00 p.m., but you cannot do any more driving until you have taken another 10 consecutive hours off, or the equivalent of at least 10 consecutive hours off duty. This regulation is found in Section 395.3(a)(2)

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Drivers Guide to HOS 2015_508.pdf

Go hard core and drive your rig there and back, awesome experience, unless it's a craptastic trailer queen.

Done it many times, would do it again.

I would schedule the Jeeps to arrive ahead of you if you have friends there and maybe not push to get there so hard. Driver will still have to stop and take breaks required by law anyway. But mainly if you push that hard to get there you will be dead tired and worthless the first 2 days of the trip.

Then for the return, have the vehicles delivered to one place where someone can meet the driver there to receive then.

Go hard core and drive your rig there and back, awesome experience, unless it's a craptastic trailer queen.

Done it many times, would do it again.
It has 300 miles on an LS swap currently... don't think so.

Possibly they may have to stop. Many of those drivers have significant others that ride with them and they tag team trips and drive straight through.

however they do it, you may need to get a jump start on them and have 1 person that’s not driving get everything loaded and then fly out. It really depends on the driver and their schedule. The hard dates are arrival day and time and pick up day and time in Moab. Outside of that, your going to have to be flexible.

Don't knwo what kind of rigs you have or are used to... but another option is to rent Jeeps.

There are a couple of outfits that specifically rent JKs for taking to Moab. A few years ago when my club made the trek, half of us drove out there with rigs, teh other half flew out and rented.
I split a rental with another guy and IMO it was worth every penny. Got a JK Rubi on 35s for osmething like $1000 for the whole week.
That plus airfare is expensive, but the convenience is soooo nice, plus having a decent new-ish vehicle that won't break down....

I think my shop has five going this year, 3 on an open 53', two others in a tag-along-enclosed, drivers of both trucks are there for the ride.

Don't knwo what kind of rigs you have or are used to... but another option is to rent Jeeps.

There are a couple of outfits that specifically rent JKs for taking to Moab. A few years ago when my club made the trek, half of us drove out there with rigs, teh other half flew out and rented.
I split a rental with another guy and IMO it was worth every penny. Got a JK Rubi on 35s for osmething like $1000 for the whole week.
That plus airfare is expensive, but the convenience is soooo nice, plus having a decent new-ish vehicle that won't break down....

If/when we go again, with the kids, that would be an option.

But, for the original 3 of us that planned this, this trip has been the kick in the ass to work on some long sidelined projects. Our jeeps will be going.

I'm working on finishing details of 5.3 swap in my LJ. I've had the drivetrain sitting in my shop since 2017.

We did an Artec 8.8 swap on the TJ last weekend and all new link arms. He's had the Artec kit since 2016 and the axle before that.

And the third is STARTING a huge project this weekend.

Drive straight through there and back, make the most of your time.
We've done non stop to Dallas, that's why we're planning to try to get 24 or so hours down before the first stop. All the way and we'd be dead to the world the first couple days. I want to be able to see and enjoy some of the drive that I haven't seen before.

Back