MOTD (Meme of the Day)

9C512737-C2C8-4BC4-9344-9F08F801A1CD.jpeg

Great.....now where do I go to rent a 25 year old jeep cherokee?

Rent a vehicle that runs the same size tire that you run. Take your jeep to the tire shop with the other 4 wheels and tires in the back, and have them swap them out. Not as cheap, but cheaper than tires.

Rent a vehicle that runs the same size tire that you run. Take your jeep to the tire shop with the other 4 wheels and tires in the back, and have them swap them out. Not as cheap, but cheaper than tires.

So legit question...do rental places actually check for that? Even if they do...would ten-dollar-an-hour-Timmy recognize 75% tread tires when a car left vs 25% when it returned?

So legit question...do rental places actually check for that? Even if they do...would ten-dollar-an-hour-Timmy recognize 75% tread tires when a car left vs 25% when it returned?
I'd bet a Dollar that the answer is no, and no.

Especially at a high-throughput place like an airport.

But I'd think you'd want the rims to at least be close to the same.

The magic question is, how ya gonna guarantee you get a car w/ nearly new tire tread AND close matching rims? Most places you don't really get to pick the car ahead of time.

The magic question is, how ya gonna guarantee you get a car w/ nearly new tire tread AND close matching rims? Most places you don't really get to pick the car ahead of time.
Most rental car companies now dispose at 12 months or 10k miles....

I wouldn't be as worried about wheels...$50 for the rental for the day...another $50-100 to dismount and mount 2 sets of tires, is still cheaper than paying for a new set. I very rarely bring the entire vehicle in for tires, and just have the tire shop swap wheels all the time.

there is still the whole morality - thou shall not steal - thing to deal with but....other than a soul for eternity what is there to lose?

:D

I'd bet a Dollar that the answer is no, and no.

Especially at a high-throughput place like an airport.
Ive rented alot of cars. Never had one look at the tires during a walk-around before or after renting. Even if you added the insurance, you will still come out at half the price.

Just have a tire place swap the tires over from the rims. Wheels stay with the vehicle, just the tires change. It adds more $$, but not that much. National lets you pick whatever car you want, and you could always call and ask them about a certain model. But they typically have Jeeps, Suburbans, Camaros, GM sedans. A little research could likely find you a handful of vehicles that use the same tire size as your car, or one very similar.

Last edited:
there is still the whole morality - thou shall not steal - thing to deal with but....other than a soul for eternity what is there to lose?

:D
Agreed. Thats why you just burn down the tires while you have the rental.

Back