MOTD (Meme of the Day)

56194879.jpg

Y'all ever make that face? I do ... every...blessed...day....

Senators introduce bill to withhold congressional pay during shutdown
No Work, No Pay? Some Members of Congress Forego Paychecks During Shutdown

one of the few times I'm proud of my Congressman, he was among the first to publicly say he'll turn down his pay.
Dave,
It doesn't matter. It literally violates the constitution. It requires an amendment not a bill.
And the way its written is so that it cant take effect until the congressional change after the next election after voting.

All the senators saying this are pandering for votes.

Dave,
It doesn't matter. It literally violates the constitution. It requires an amendment not a bill.
And the way its written is so that it cant take effect until the congressional change after the next election after voting.

All the senators saying this are pandering for votes.
You're right about the bill, but there's nothing stopping them from donating 100% of their pay, which is what Delaney said. Like Trump does.

Now if they would all forego pay until they do something useful and productive...

Now if they would all forego pay until they do something useful and productive...
the problem is, their salary pay isn't why they are there in the first place. For most of these guys a loss of a few days/week of their wages is peanuts and has little financial ramifications to them.
Now - cut off access to future campaign contributions, and you've got them by the balls.

56194879.jpg

Y'all ever make that face? I do ... every...blessed...day....

(i know you didnt say it :grin: but bored and wearing my keyboard warrior hat today)
if someone has been elected to "serve you" they are not "over you" they are under you, serving you. the abstract principle of a republican form of government is electing "administrators of the People's will". You cant have a vote of the crowd for every detail of establishment operations, so you vote for someone that shares the interests of the masses best. the serve terms to prevent tyranny, etc.

The people formed Statehood to adopt this, as colonies became too populated. These states were granted very few powers. These States gathered together and decided someone helping to "Administrate" inter-State would help, just as it did before... Thus the states ratified the formation of another entity (reinforced under the Clearfield Doctrine) thus approving the formation of the United States corporation (federal government) and granted this institution THREE of its powers it was granted by the people - Treason in time of war, provide punishment for counterfeiting coin, to punish piracies and felonies. Thats it.

The federal government serves the States. The States serve you.

Reread the federalist and anti-federalist papers and you may see in a new light why there was so much negative support for the formation of the federal government, for fear if the perspective of the people would be corrupted and people would forget the order of things...

Later on, the federal gov was granted 100% regulation of Inter-state commerce through the commerce takings clause. Based on the above rights transferred to the fed gov, it would seem quite illegal many things it does today! You cant transfer what hasnt been transferred to you (the States cant give a right what hadnt already been given to them). Thus the fed gov [mostly] through Roosevelt's New Deal designed voluntary Inter-State programs. Such as Social Security, DOT, DEERS (vehicle registration)... So on, etc. Thus as more and more people immersed themselves into Interstate Commerce, the more and more control was rendered to the fed gov.

If people renew their perspectives, maybe things will start changing back from the Democratic Experiment someday

If people renew their perspectives, maybe things will start changing back from the Democratic Experiment someday
You are quite the optimist. :D

I feel like most of my political oppositions have less to do with liberal/conservative, democrat/republican, left/right, and more to do with Fedgov vs Individual rights and the limitations and expectations of government. Those horrible racist 1%'er white dudes did a damn good job laying out the framework for this country, and its taken short sighted constituents and power hungry fools only a couple centuries to screw it up.

You are quite the optimist. :D

I feel like most of my political oppositions have less to do with liberal/conservative, democrat/republican, left/right, and more to do with Fedgov vs Individual rights and the limitations and expectations of government. Those horrible racist 1%'er white dudes did a damn good job laying out the framework for this country, and its taken short sighted constituents and power hungry fools only a couple centuries to screw it up.
Amen. Only power hungry should read money hungry. Most of not all our extra government and policy is just plain greed. Career politicians making bank for them and whomever they are passing laws to help.

Backlog workthroughs, late fees, overtime to catch up, temp help to paint with popsicles sticks, insurance claims from distracted "we outta work, let's party" texting and driving collisions, etc.

So, you Scholars, educate me. The Government shuts "Down" for 3 days. [I thought it was 2] And it COST Taxpayers something like 900 Million Dollars. HOW is That possible? How does it cost Money, to do Nothing, & Pay Nothing?:confused:

The government shutting down for 3 days is not like a factory shutting down and sending people home for 3 days. Unlike the factory, the government retroactively pays the employees after the fact for their time. Factory just says, "screw you... we didn't make products today so you don't get paid"

They are also factoring in all the "lost" revenue for those who were going to go see the Statue of Liberty or other national monuments that were closed.

Last edited:
Seriously, get this political shit outahere..

FB_IMG_1515203945348.jpg

So, you Scholars, educate me. The Government shuts "Down" for 3 days. [I thought it was 2] And it COST Taxpayers something like 900 Million Dollars. HOW is That possible? How does it cost Money, to do Nothing, & Pay Nothing?:confused:
Because they are overreaching and have too many employees. A federal government shutdown should only be felt at the borders and in times of war (and if politicians allowed the government to shut down in a time of war, they should be tried for treason and hung).

yep, as mentioned, a LOT of it is wasted productivity time.
Lets say the average Fed worker costs $60/hr, or $480 for a day.
Now multiply that by 700,000 people (just guessing) furloughed. That is $33.6 million in wages that they will be paid for not working, PER DAY.
And that's just the lost wages part. (Now, whether they should be paid or not... is a debatable issue, for another thread). Then you have the costs of contractors who can't work b/c they can't access facilities but have already been paid, plus lost revenue from parks etc. It all adds up very quickly.

Back