Motor swaps in NC? Upgrading and keeping it legal questions

REDLYNER

Mall Crawling Race Rig
I've heard lots of opinions, but I'm still not quite sure what the actual laws are here regarding engine swaps and still passing tech/emissions to remain street legal.

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler and my understanding is that I can upgrade to a V8 as long as the engine is a 2000 or newer and came from the same company/manufacturer mine did (meaning it was in a Jeep model- Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, etc).

Sound right?

I would much rather do an LS swap, but that wouldn't be legal (from an inspection stand point), correct?

I can't say for NC, but in other states, the brand doesn't matter. As long as it the same year or newer than the vehicle it's going into. Diesel is a whole different story.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

We just finished a hemi swap here on a 98 tj. No codes no check engine and it passed inspection first try.

We just finished a hemi swap here on a 98 tj. No codes no check engine and it passed inspection first try.
I can also tell you a ls swap is about way cheaper than a hemi swap.

That is what I am trying to clear up though, I don't the LS would pass inspection in a Jeep.

State specific guidelines don't much matter if the EPA says you can only put a 2.5L or a 4.0L in a TJ. :lol:

Another one of these questions of folks not wanting to hear what is quite simple. Don't rely on folks opinion of what they managed to get away with, read the laws. call the NCDMV or read the link above. in NC its same MODEL CHASSIS and SAME OR NEWER year model motor. CJs can have v8's. YJ/TJ's I-6' or 4's. Period. you might have 10 buddies that manage to not get caught or get it by somebody/inspector that doesn't know 'any better' but when they decide to get pissy and impound your $hit, then thats the breaks.

Another one of these questions of folks not wanting to hear what is quite simple.

Reeeeeeeeeelax homeboy. I posted to get some feedback. I've heard multiple opinions and when I talked to the inspection station, all he had was an opinion too (he wasn't positive). Just looking for some first hand experience.

I'm open to hearing everything. :popcorn:

There's always custom-built vehicle titles. Sounds like you can do anything you want if you go that route... but you get a branded title.

Reeeeeeeeeelax homeboy. I posted to get some feedback. I've heard multiple opinions and when I talked to the inspection station, all he had was an opinion too (he wasn't positive). Just looking for some first hand experience.
I'm open to hearing everything. :popcorn:
didn't mean for it to sound that way. the point that I was making is that 90% of the inspectors DONT know, but when you get pulled and a pissy cop that DOES know the rules impounds your rig, then you've got nothing to go against, but the State DOES have written guidelines. had to defend my rig for this exact issue. Id love to have a TJ, but can't get a v8 in it legally. so, its CJs for me. no sense in going through all that trouble and turn around and have to take it out or re-register it. call the DMV- they have an office in charlotte that does the custom one-off inspections for hand built cars/ trailers etc. its kinda like a lift law, but much more difficult to work around.

Cool cool. It sounds like the easiest thing would be buying an acre in South Carolina, throwing a mail box on it and registering there. :lol:

I'll call the Charlotte location and see what they say. I have so many projects in front of me, it will be a while before this is even close to a reality.

:beer:

If it passes emissions and there is no check engine light would the inspection station really look any farther? I used to have a isuzu trooper with a 4.5 V8 out of a Cadilac in it that passed inspection...

If it passes emissions and there is no check engine light would the inspection station really look any farther? I used to have a isuzu trooper with a 4.5 V8 out of a Cadilac in it that passed inspection...
The inspection station is "supposed" to do a visual inspection which includes popping the hood, looking for OEM emissions components, and looking under the vehicle as well, even on pre OBDII years.

Ive got an address you can borrow but If you have any good mag subscriptions Im not responsible for the post office losing them every month. Same goes for coupons.:beer:

Is this post still live? I have a 1991 Suburban that is past the inspection requirements and thinking of swapping in a diesel engine. My druthers would be a 4BT or a 6BT but a 6.2 or 6.5 would work for me. It has a 5.7 gasser in it now......any thoughts on this?

Man, I didn't catch the date and I'm sitting here thinking @REDLYNER just sold the mall crawlin race jeep. Is he building another one? Was it not registered? :shaking:

Man, I didn't catch the date and I'm sitting here thinking @REDLYNER just sold the mall crawlin race jeep. Is he building another one? Was it not registered? :shaking:
It was registered, titled and insured in NC. Some of the process was complicated, some of it was easy, but it passed all inspections with the LS1 in it.

I’ve got a couple of projects I have been dreaming about starting, but my wife wants a different house. So I’m balancing that vs building up a new rig vs prepping the 4410.

It was registered, titled and insured in NC. Some of the process was complicated, some of it was easy, but it passed all inspections with the LS1 in it.

I’ve got a couple of projects I have been dreaming about starting, but my wife wants a different house. So I’m balancing that vs building up a new rig vs prepping the 4410.
Wives are way easy to find, I've had a couple. Cool vehicles on the other hand....

Hmmmmm, I have a 2000 XJ that I am putting an LS in and am almost done. Will keep you posted on any issues I get when I get my tag. I already titled it in my name but no tag. I used the Holley Terminator X Max software. I removed all the factory computers and wiring so no OBD2 port. I live in Alamance county we only do safety inspections.

Bragging photo op…

ca737b89ed5b495ba4c0bf99569c483b.jpeg

Hmmmmm, I have a 2000 XJ that I am putting an LS in and am almost done. Will keep you posted on any issues I get when I get my tag. I already titled it in my name but no tag. I used the Holley Terminator X Max software. I removed all the factory computers and wiring so no OBD2 port. I live in Alamance county we only do safety inspections.

Bragging photo op…

ca737b89ed5b495ba4c0bf99569c483b.jpeg

I'm in SC. No concerns over inspection. Plug a scanner in and it says it's a 2004 Buick Rainier :D

20200105_163734.jpg

Back