Motorcycle wreck...

Tacoma747

Well, it wasn't me, but pretty much just as bad as if it were.

My dad wrecked his motorcycle coming hom from work Monday night. Right at midnight. He was about 5 miles from home, hit a 'patch' on the pavement he thinks that threw the bike out of control (or started to), he was going through a turn and went off the road, someone that was following him said the bike flipped. He barely missed a mailbox and a tree, and he landed a few feet away from a guidewire. Once I told Rebecca's (my g/f) dad where it happened, he figured it was the patch, and said he has hit it before and almost lost it. I have ridden by there a few times before, but never noticed it, they each ride it every day.

Luckily it was all in the grass/dirt, so he is not scraped up too bad. He is in ICU at Babtist hospital, compressed his spine, so his spinal cord is bruised. He may need to have surgery but the doctors have not decided yet, that have to see how he does first.

He is very uncomfortable being in the bed all the time, and has to wear a neck brace which he hates, but overall they think he is getting better. He can move his arms pretty good, hurts him when someone touches them, unless it is a sustained touch/massage. Can't move his legs all that well, but can feel people touching them and complains that they are uncomfortable and wants to bend his knees.

The doctors think he will regain use of everything, but are not sure how long it will take. He is seemingly doing better than yesterday, but until the swelling of his spinal cord goes down they won't be able to tell.

The bike was a 1999 Honda Valkerie, so it is a BIG bike. He says he was going about 35, but can't really remember. From looking at where he went off the road and so on, 35 seems about right, because he or the bike was not too far.

The bike is not in too bad of shape, needs a new windshield, gauges, headlight, taillights, back half of rear fender, sissy bar, exhaust tips, the bar going around the side of the engine on one side, as well as a couple small engine covers. The gas tank is dented but should be fixable.

Keep him/us in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks.

Damn, sorry to hear it. WTF is the patch made of? Oil covered Teflon?

Damn man

So sorry to hear that

Is there anything he needs? Would he be OK with a visit? Strippers? Maybe some hot wings :beer:

Anything that has to do with the spinal column is uber painful. Keep him rested and I hope he heals nicely.

J

Rich said:
WTF is the patch made of? Oil covered Teflon?

Knowing Davidson County, it was one of those roads that are basically a layer of oil, then gravel sprinkled across it. The residual gravel eventually pushed to the sides by car tires, then the PATCH is just another layer of tar with more gravel.

And when it gets hot that "patch" gets pretty loose.

I hate those roads.....remind me of southern Illinois :shaking:

Rich said:
WTF is the patch made of? Oil covered Teflon?
If it's the "main road" they live off of... without a doubt the absolute crappiest "paved road" I've ever witnessed inside of NC... 20 years of random patches (none actually flush w/ existing surface), huge checks, narrow, & curvy...

(and I used to live off of a connector road between the rock quarry & highway = torn up beyond belief by dump trucks)...

Anyways, hope your Dad recovers quickly & fully...

It is actually Gumtree road, Troy and maybe Caver would be the only ones that know where that is. It was the section closer to your house Troy, going through the turn before you get to Sawmill road. The pavement does not look too bad,and I am not sure how it rides either, but Rebecca's dad says there is a tricky spot there. I have never noticed it anytime I have gone through there, but then again my bike handles ALOT better than his beast.

Troy, I am sure he would not mind a visit, but they only have certain times people can enter. 9, 11, 3, 5, 8:30. All have 30 minute time limits. He gets plenty of attention from my mom and others, if you could swing it the afternoon time (3 or 5) would probably be best. That or the morning.

Thanks guys, I will update his condition after I get home, I will probably go over there at 11.

And also, for Rich, the whole section of that road is 'under construction', but it is one of those deals where they take their sweet time finishing it.

And Dave, you are talking about Old Lexington road, yes it is horrible, they actually just repaved part of it (probably the BEST part of it). It seems like the Forsyth county side of the roads always get more attention than the Davidson sides...

He has been moved to Acute Care, a step down from ICU. The times are different now that he can have visitors (1, 5, 8:30), but each period for 1 hour. There are also morning times, but not sure what they are.

Still can't move his legs, but is eating and can feel his legs. When I say he can't move his legs, I mean he can't change positions, but he can get VERY slight movement out of them, should improve once the swelling goes down.

One good thing about all this is that it may get him to quit smoking. He won't have a cig for his hospital stay, and once he is home he won't have any until he can drive or walk to the gas station :) He has to have an oxygen mask on (not sealed around his face, just resting on the neck brace), which he hates because it is hot, as well as the neck brace (dog collar as he calls it).

Where on Gumtree? i ride my little sportster there all the time.

Real sorry to hear about you Dad, but he's in the right place to get him better.

My brother just bought a house on Livengood (Off Old thomasville), so now I'm just around the corner from you almost everyweekend.

Hey man i hope everything is going alright. Everyone at work is wandering how your dad is doing. If yall need anything just let me know.

these state DOT people dont know that reparing a road just slightly good enough for a car is no where near good enough for a motorcycle...morons!

I hope he gets better soon. The sooner he gets up the quicker he can repair the hog and get back on it :D

Back