Moving to NC... What tires

TJCraig

Here in Florida I am running BFG MT's and they do fine in on the trails, some mud and the limerock pits we have for our version of krawling. I am stepping up to 36" tires, what should I run up in NC. The Jeep is an 03 and is currently used as a DD, however my wife won't be working and it will only see around the neighborhood type grocery getting stuff.

What is the advise for UNF and Tellico......

I am thinking Radial IROK's.

Any of the above will do just fine. Since it's a DD, I'd go with TSL Radials, but that's just me.

Oops, just saw that the street driving will be kept to a minimum. If you don't mind the flat spotting and balancing issues of a bias ply tire, they do have alot tougher sidewalls. If street ride is an issue, stick with the radials.

any kind of swamper will be good. if you plan to air down a lot when wheeling, i wouldn't get the radials. they tend to develop bubbles in the sidewall if aired down repeatedly. but since street driving will be kept to a min. bias should be fine

Another vote for the Iroks.

Dave

IROK

Since it will be the wifes 'grocery getter DD', then I would say IROK...prob radial. (TSL Radial also about same 'strength')

I will throw this out there... you will find that the rocks here are nasty on the sidewalls...which is why you will hear us talking about BIAS ply swampers so much. They stand up to it better.

If you wallet will support it, pick up a set of "cheapie" All Terrains (BFG isn't cheap but will last forever)...as your DD tires. Then get a set of cheap black steel rims and TSL Bias or IROK bias ply. (Then find a buddy with a welder/think about beadlocks with those steel rims someday down the road)

I run 36" bias ply TSLs, but my trail rig sees very little on road use and NONE with my wife behind the wheel.

Welcome to NC btw...Sam

I agree totally with Sam (shinton) Two sets of tires will be harder on the wallet to begin with, but will last a long long time.

I run Boggers, not mentioned here anywhere LOL, but if I were buying today, I would be getting IROKS or TSL's

Welcome to NC, WHat part of NC are you re-locating to?

Im running the BFG MTs and they work real well. Wheeled them from uwharrie to WV and never had a problem. Personally, i really like the SS trxus, there going to be my nexxt set of tires

built-tj,
You'll like the TrxUs MT much better than those BFG's! I've ran both the TrxUs MT and the BFG MT and I can't think of a single off-road situation that I would pick the BFG over the TrxUs. IMO, the TrxUs MT is the best tire out there for the daily driver that hits the trails on the weekend.

Yea, my friend just got them, and they performed real well

I've got 'em too, quiet and ride well. Good road manners. Beat the sidewalls hard enough to crush a bead section on a steelie and didn't even bruise the sidewall. For a ligher rig, they flex a lot better than TSL's and Boggers. (I've run both and my tellico rubber is TSL's.) I'd keep the BFG's if they still have tread, pick up a set of used tsl bias or sx's, then replace the bfg's with truxs mt's later on. :beer:

NC Tire

MY $0.02...here in NC ...

Strait UP..Tried and True...TSL...period

:driver:

I live here in Murphy NC. I have run the 36" tsl radials and the 37" SSR's. The SSR's work alright expecially if you do a lot of driving on the road. The tsl radials work better than the SSR's, but the best that I have tried for here at Tellico is the Irok radial by far. They are much better than either the SSR or tsl radial for trail use. I only drive mine around town a little bit and to and from Tellico, but they do well on the road also. So, I guess that my vote is definately for the IROK! :D

Back