My new toy

Well now I guess I qualify, sold my '85 V65 Sabre (scary fast bike)
yep, v65's are monsters. i rode one last year. torque is incredible. seems i remember reading a few reviews with 1/4 times in the 10.9 range? that's quick enough to put many modern 600 street bikes on their ass in a straight line... pretty impressive for mid 80's tech. they way a freakin ton to boot!

9 grand for that thing though? sheesh..

I had a Corbin on my '98 VFR, and it was GREAT for long distance / commuting stuff.. Sucked donkey balls in the curves if you like to slide around on the seat a bit. Weekends and track days were back on the stocker.

Holding the engine at 7000RPM will get your (presumably female) passenger umm.."primed".. My ZX-7 riding friend could never figure out why I liked to ride down the strip at 21mph.. :lol:

And while not incredible, *I* pulled a 11.2 in my first drag race on the Viffer, with nothing but a filter and slip-on exhaust.. I laugh my ass off when these guys on liter+ bikes with stretched swingarms and all that crap can't get below high 10's all night.

From what i remember riding my friend's VFR with the Heli-bars, the riding position is only slightly forward of upright, was very comfy at 60-70. I swapped on CBR clip-ons to get more of a crouch... oh to be young again.. LOL.

Rob - you still suck..until I get my SV.. (Come awwwn salary raise!)

I'd have one, if I didn't look like a monkey humpin a football on one :rolleyes:

6'-2" and 250lbs doesn't mesh with the VFR

Also Rob...consider the Givi e460 tailbag

asfriday.com_VFR800_IMAGES_98bluesilver1.jpg

Nice alternative to saddlebags and it's up out of the way

I looked at those, kinda fugly, and I like the looks of the OEM saddlebags. How easy is the Givi to come off?

Now to make room in the garage for another bike, and the jeep. Sheesh.

oh gawd, that thing is beautiful..

Rob said:
How easy is the Givi to come off?

Insert a key and pop up the handle, then it lifts off. Then you have a neat little flat rack on the back if you don't wanna run it

You can get a color matched top which looks pretty killer

It's just big enough to toss your leather jacket and helmet in when you stop for a break and pops right off for overnight

I LIKE the factory bags, but IMHO a tailbag looks more sporty and less "old man on his way to Goldwing status :lol:

Even though this was me at Key West :rolleyes:

awww.troybaker.com_daytona_riding02.jpg

on my blackbird with corbin bags

So Rob, do you recommend 2002 and later models, seems like there was a big engine change (vtec) from 2001 to 2002.
You plan wrecker you. :p

I can't say. From what I'm reading, the main changes are that the 5th gens, 2001 and older have gear driven cams, people like the sound. The 6th gen are heavier, heavier swing arms, but the power is about the same.

You'll have to come down to Sanford sometime and check mine out.

The Beast said:
Found this one, may go ride it tomorrow.

Hey thats at carolina BMW :D Where I got my bike. Just be sure not to testride any of the BMW's or you'll be in trouble....big $$$$ trouble :lol:

Hell you might see me there tommorrow if I can't head south to Sanford :beer:

Yes, my boss has a 1200c and just sold a Montauk, rode them both, nice bikes just not my style.

I do love those brakes though!

The first time I rode a BMW with power brakes, it was there...about 2 years ago, and I remeber George telling me to be VERY careful, ESPECIALLY at low speeds.

I damn near dropped it 10 ft later at the entrance :rolleyes:

First stoplight I almost went over the forks

My bikes just as bad/good and when I ride any other bike (especially the Boss' hardley-ever-runs) I overshoot my mark by several feet forgetting that hardleys and the likes have terrible brakes to begin with, but don't have the power assist :lol:

Back