Navigating the age gap with my road trainer

Darkbloodmon

Finishing my two week campus orientation tomorrow at TMC after the closing ceremony. My graduating class is nicknamed "The Remainders" started with 20 and we are down to 13.

I'll get contacted by my road trainer tomorrow or Saturday, leave on Sunday and be out for the next 4 weeks.

He'll most likely be 1.5 to 2x my age and I'm a bit concerned about not getting the most out of my training while with him after talking to a few instructors that didn't sugar coat anything.

The concern is that since my driving and yard skills are more developed and my pay being fixed to flat rate training pay for each of my 4 weeks. My trainer is going to be maximizing loads for my 4 weeks since it'll be team driving and not letting me get any experience besides sitting in the driver seat to save time and drop more loads before a reset.

Trainers at TMC are paid additionally and make up to 20k more a year, 4 weeks of team driving adds onto that. Money is on alot of minds and I don't want that to be the primary focus of my 4 week road training, the only thing of value I'm getting is experience; 650 flat rate a week isn't shit.

How do I navigate the age gap? I don't want to tell my trainer how to run his truck but I don't want to be taken for granted and be bullshitted. I'm pretty serious and straightforward and many people kept asking me if I was former military or assuming I served. I haven't served and don't come from a military family. I just have military minded traits in my work ethic and professionalism.

I still have plenty of questions about the road training process for tomorrow when we get some more information on it. We do have an assigned training coordinator to contact if we have any issues but I'd like to make it work the first time and not waste any additional time having to get reassigned another trainer.

Suggestions? Advice?

Pics : can't wait to get some 40K coils

20231001_080745.jpg20231001_080629.jpg

Just remember they call them death coils for a reason.

As far as your “co- driver” he is just that. He just has been doing it longer than you. Drive the truck. Take the advice when he gives it. If he ain’t talking, you’re doing it right. If there is a question just ask! If he is even close to worth a shit he will lay it out and more than likely have been in you position to give personal experience on best practices. Take it in but remember just cause it’s the way he did/ does it that doesn’t mean it’s gospel. Take the knowledge and make it work for you. Besides. Ain’t like it’s hard. All those 589s are automatic cruise coaches topped out at 63.5 mph. Just hold the wheel and enjoy the scenery. :flipoff2:

Best advice would be to 100% lose that attitude. Jesus, you've never driven an otr truck and this guy most likely has been for 20 years. I promise the "I don't need anything I hope you don't hold me back" attitude will not fair well with any of the trainers or any of the other company drivers.
Ride with the guy, ask questions, don't be a knowitall, don't back into anyone and get your own truck. No matter what you do you aren't going to learn the whole industry in 4 weeks

Best advice would be to 100% lose that attitude. Jesus, you've never driven an otr truck and this guy most likely has been for 20 years. I promise the "I don't need anything I hope you don't hold me back" attitude will not fair well with any of the trainers or any of the other company drivers.
Ride with the guy, ask questions, don't be a knowitall, don't back into anyone and get your own truck. No matter what you do you aren't going to learn the whole industry in 4 weeks
If it sounds like I have an attitude then that's a problem, I didn't think my post would be interpreted that way after reading it several times prior. I thought it was pretty neutral and clear.

I don't have the mindset that I know everything and don't need help. My concern is that he's just going to run loads chase the money while I add 14hrs to his clock a day and put my training on the back burner and pencil whip it. I need the backing practice in ugly situations and I need tarping and load securement practice with a variety of loads. That takes time, patience and somone willing to teach. I don't want to get three weeks in with the only take away being picking up bungees, rolling up tarps, throwing straps and holding a wheel. That's wasting everyone's time. I need to build a self sufficient skill set in 4 weeks not know the industry inside out.

Honestly, Your second post STILL makes it sound like you expect to be taken advantage of, and are already resentful of a trainer you haven't even met...

Get in the truck, do what he tells you. when you arrive for a pickup or drop off, Ask if you can be the one to backup the truck. Be the first one out and start securing the load or unstrapping it while asking the trainer if you're doing it right,

You can learn quite a bit while not interfering with your trainer's ability to maximize the money making potential of the trip, and isn't that part of what you need to learn too, anyway?

I need the backing practice in ugly situations and I need tarping and load securement practice with a variety of loads. That takes time, patience and somone willing to teach.
Focus on conveying THIS. Set aside all the other thoughts. Like others have said, the other parts sound arrogant or resentful, and based on what you've posted, you don't have the experience to be arrogant yet, and you don't have the opportunity to be resentful yet.

I don't want to get into how 90% of communication is lost in online dioluge since tone and body language aren't conveyed in text without symbols or emojis. But I wouldn't use the words arrogant or resentful. I would use Skeptical and realistic.

My instructors who have driven for TMC, have gone through the training process and have kept in contact with former students that have gone through the process expressed their experience, gave advise, and I took notes.

I was cautioned multiple times about making sure I go through my checklist of skills, and maneuvers and not letting my trainer skip over them by both the training coordinator who has oversight and my instructors. There's no sugar coating and I appreciate it. Which is why I'm being skeptical and realistic about the experience ahead of me. I just want to come out of 4 weeks well rounded with minimal surprises my first two weeks solo.

I've been shutting up, listening, following instructions, showing deference and eagerness to learn for two weeks already. I don't need help or guidance with that aspect of the training.

What I needed guidance on was articulating my needs in training with respectful assertiveness given the age gap. I want to make this work the first time. Making it work isn't just getting along with the guy and staying on his good side. I'm here for training, Because I don't know.

I was cautioned multiple times about making sure I go through my checklist of skills, and maneuvers and not letting my trainer skip over them by both the training coordinator who has oversight and my instructors.
That was good advice from your instructors, I'd give the trainer a pass on the first time he skips them, if he's trying to skip over them a second time, just keep doing the checks yourself and ignore him.

I've been shutting up, listening, following instructions, showing deference and eagerness to learn for two weeks already.
So four more weeks of it to get launched into your lifetime career shouldn't be a big deal, should it?

What I needed guidance on was articulating my needs in training with respectful assertiveness given the age gap.
I don't know anything about you, But assume if you're going through this training, you're an adult at least 21 years of age, And that your trainer/co-driver will probably be somewhere between a 25 and 60 year old driver. So you're both basically adults, I fail to see why you think you can't talk to him like any other adult.

Your real concern is with a Trainer/Trainee relationship, Give the guy a chance to be the Trainer you'd like him to be before you condemn him. Be respectful like you would to your Father/Mother (If you weren't, I give up helping you already). Show you're an eager student, Have your note book ready, Pay obvious attention to everything the trainer is doing without being intrusive, ask questions when it isn't clear.

I don't want to get into how 90% of communication is lost in online dioluge since tone and body language aren't conveyed in text without symbols or emojis. But I wouldn't use the words arrogant or resentful. I would use Skeptical and realistic.
I consider myself skeptical and realistic. Most people probably interpret me as arrogant and resentful. Or maybe more cocky and cynical/skeptical. Regardless of my intent, I have to empathize with their perception, and adjust accordingly, depending on the situation and desired outcome.

Y'all I've met Darkbloodman when he came and picked up some stuff I was selling. He's nice, cordial, and polite as anyone could ask for. But I've been surprised at some of his posts too. I believe that what he said:
90% of communication is lost in online dioluge since tone and body language aren't conveyed in text without symbols or emojis.
is probably the issue here.
I would say to be eager help, follow the checklists, ask questions, and don't worry about age gap. You'll be fine.

Y'all I've met Darkbloodman when he came and picked up some stuff I was selling. He's nice, cordial, and polite as anyone could ask for. But I've been surprised at some of his posts too. I believe that what he said:

is probably the issue here.
I would say to be eager help, follow the checklists, ask questions, and don't worry about age gap. You'll be fine.

Everything I've heard about Fuller has been the same, that his on-line personality comes off totally different than in person, So I can believe that is right in this case too. If it is then your advce is the best in this thread.

Last edited:
I'll keep this thread in mind going forward, thank you for the advise and discussion.

Talked with my trainer briefly about our meet time, location, and pack list.

Most people probably interpret me as arrogant and resentful. Or maybe more cocky and cynical/skeptical.
Your use of emojis and occasional self deprecating comment usually keeps it light. I feel like Myles is a bit more dry (online) and harder to read. Which (can) come across as slightly superior to others.

Just my unsolicited 2¢ as someone who successfully alienates a vast majority of folks online until they meet me in person and realize I'm a sarcastic dick in person too 😎

I’ll go against the flow here. Keep your trainer on their toes by asking questions and making them qualify everything they teach. If they woln’t or can’t do that request a new trainer. I work in EMS as a trainer. And don’t train bc I like it or want the money, as I neither like it nor think it’s worth the money. But because I have family that lives in my response area and I want them to have the best care possible and I have been told I’m good at it and people regularly request me by name.

The nay sayers are either forgetting their time as a trainee or expect all the trainers to do it the way they would, throughly and benevolently; which most trainers are not.

Your use of emojis and occasional self deprecating comment usually keeps it light. I feel like Myles is a bit more dry (online) and harder to read. Which (can) come across as slightly superior to others.

Just my unsolicited 2¢ as someone who successfully alienates a vast majority of folks online until they meet me in person and realize I'm a sarcastic dick in person too 😎
#facts

Jesus, you've never driven an otr truck and this guy most likely has been for 20 years
These days you'll be lucky if he has driven 2 years. Big OTR companies make anyone a "trainer" so they can fill trucks with cheap teams. Don't let black and shiny fool you, they are just a few steps above Swift, Werner, US express, and the rest of the driver mills. Consider yourself lucky if you wind up with an older experienced driver instead of today's steering wheel holder.

These days you'll be lucky if he has driven 2 years. Big OTR companies make anyone a "trainer" so they can fill trucks with cheap teams. Don't let black and shiny fool you, they are just a few steps above Swift, Werner, US express, and the rest of the driver mills. Consider yourself lucky if you wind up with an older experienced driver instead of today's steering wheel holder.

If there was a wager you would've made some change. 6mo incident free to be a trainer, 1 year on line haul no incidents, no load claims, no late deliveries, etc. ;with competitive gross revenue numbers to the truck to be "considered" for specialized heavy haul division.

First trainer was hot garbage 2.5 years experience driving, less than that with TMC. Middle to late 40s with a child's temper. We didn't click. 1st week out second day in he backs the trailer into a crash pole then tries to shift the blame on me for not spotting him when he never got out to look and watch his own clearances. For the record I didn't say I was spotting when I got out to walk the layout of the area; he just assumed. I was on his blind side out of view and he hit something on his driver. After seeing him hit something I didn't trust him at all to spot me because he had an attitude like he was waiting for me to fuck up; this lead to later incidents and confrontations. I stuck it out with him for 3 weeks. Barely got any time to take care of my self working around his schedule, operating on less than 2K calories a day and one bowel movement a week. We had multiple communication breakdowns because he mumbles like Boomhower with a southern drawl and I physically could not hear him, I would ask him to repeat himself or assume he was talking on his headset which he had on 90% of the time. He throws a fit when I notify him im changing trainers at the end of my third week. Didn't even have control over my own clock.

Second trainer was night and day better, 20 year service in the Army and previously had his own Trucking authority running 3 Trucks for 12years prior to being with TMC for the last 2.5. He was an older guy in this early 60s, a hardass but I learned alot more in my week with him than my past 3. I was alot more to him than an 11hr drive clock. He picked up alot better on my reserved and introverted nature than my last trainer and was able to work around it with my learning style.

Graduating class got even smaller when I picked up my truck and trailer in Brownsburg, IN. It was the culmination of the remainders from the Columbia, SC class, and the Des Moines, Iowa Class only 4 people including me from Columbia, SC and 6 or 7 from the Iowa class. Fairly sure I was the youngest. I was the last and latest to leave the terminal for my first load, First truck I was assigned had issues and needed an overhaul for blow by, then the clapped Benson trailer I was assigned needed the whole landing gear replaced, second assigned truck had dead batteries and CEL which took another half day. Meanwhile the terminal is surrounded by new trailers stacked on new trailers and new and newer trucks parked in every available space. Put me back by a day and a half waiting for service.

I'm 4 loads in 3500 miles solo no incidents; going on my 3rd week beginning this Sunday. I hate lumber tarps with a passion, and everyone with a covered wagon. Not sure how long I'll be here, im only interested in the specialized and heavy haul division and I'd have to do a year on line haul (building matts + tarps) with a perfect record, no incidents, load claims, accidents, on time etc. With gross load revenue to the truck to back it up prior to consideration for the Specialized Heavy Haul division. 3100 drivers in the company 300 or so on specialized heavy haul. That and tarps are taking the most out of me, soaking in my own sweat in a T shirt and jeans at 5am in Bloomsburg, PA 38* out trying to roll them tight enough to fit inside the headache rack. Can't leave them on the deck as im told other drivers will snitch and you'll get a call from safety. TMC uses covered wagons in select cases; I saw one when I was picking up two Aluminum coils from Logan in KY. Not sure if you need a medical note from your doctor or if you have to be tenured with the company or just be in a higher age bracket. I just don't do well with heat and suffer historically from heat related illnesses, but I'll talk to my FM about it and see if I can just stay in the colder places.

Seeing the country is nice, I want to get out farther west into the plains. Been as far as Eastern Missouri.

Truck number is 11860, Give me a shout on the CB if you see me roaming. Safe travels.

If there was a wager you would've made some change. 6mo incident free to be a trainer, 1 year on line haul no incidents, no load claims, no late deliveries, etc. ;with competitive gross revenue numbers to the truck to be "considered" for specialized heavy haul division.

First trainer was hot garbage 2.5 years experience driving, less than that with TMC. Middle to late 40s with a child's temper. We didn't click. 1st week out second day in he backs the trailer into a crash pole then tries to shift the blame on me for not spotting him when he never got out to look and watch his own clearances. For the record I didn't say I was spotting when I got out to walk the layout of the area; he just assumed. I was on his blind side out of view and he hit something on his driver. After seeing him hit something I didn't trust him at all to spot me because he had an attitude like he was waiting for me to fuck up; this lead to later incidents and confrontations. I stuck it out with him for 3 weeks. Barely got any time to take care of my self working around his schedule, operating on less than 2K calories a day and one bowel movement a week. We had multiple communication breakdowns because he mumbles like Boomhower with a southern drawl and I physically could not hear him, I would ask him to repeat himself or assume he was talking on his headset which he had on 90% of the time. He throws a fit when I notify him im changing trainers at the end of my third week. Didn't even have control over my own clock.

Second trainer was night and day better, 20 year service in the Army and previously had his own Trucking authority running 3 Trucks for 12years prior to being with TMC for the last 2.5. He was an older guy in this early 60s, a hardass but I learned alot more in my week with him than my past 3. I was alot more to him than an 11hr drive clock. He picked up alot better on my reserved and introverted nature than my last trainer and was able to work around it with my learning style.

Graduating class got even smaller when I picked up my truck and trailer in Brownsburg, IN. It was the culmination of the remainders from the Columbia, SC class, and the Des Moines, Iowa Class only 4 people including me from Columbia, SC and 6 or 7 from the Iowa class. Fairly sure I was the youngest. I was the last and latest to leave the terminal for my first load, First truck I was assigned had issues and needed an overhaul for blow by, then the clapped Benson trailer I was assigned needed the whole landing gear replaced, second assigned truck had dead batteries and CEL which took another half day. Meanwhile the terminal is surrounded by new trailers stacked on new trailers and new and newer trucks parked in every available space. Put me back by a day and a half waiting for service.

I'm 4 loads in 3500 miles solo no incidents; going on my 3rd week beginning this Sunday. I hate lumber tarps with a passion, and everyone with a covered wagon. Not sure how long I'll be here, im only interested in the specialized and heavy haul division and I'd have to do a year on line haul (building matts + tarps) with a perfect record, no incidents, load claims, accidents, on time etc. With gross load revenue to the truck to back it up prior to consideration for the Specialized Heavy Haul division. 3100 drivers in the company 300 or so on specialized heavy haul. That and tarps are taking the most out of me, soaking in my own sweat in a T shirt and jeans at 5am in Bloomsburg, PA 38* out trying to roll them tight enough to fit inside the headache rack. Can't leave them on the deck as im told other drivers will snitch and you'll get a call from safety. TMC uses covered wagons in select cases; I saw one when I was picking up two Aluminum coils from Logan in KY. Not sure if you need a medical note from your doctor or if you have to be tenured with the company or just be in a higher age bracket. I just don't do well with heat and suffer historically from heat related illnesses, but I'll talk to my FM about it and see if I can just stay in the colder places.

Seeing the country is nice, I want to get out farther west into the plains. Been as far as Eastern Missouri.

Truck number is 11860, Give me a shout on the CB if you see me roaming. Safe travels.
Stick it out. FWIW 6 months is minimum or you’re gonna look like a wage hopper. Glad you made it through though! Like I said before or maybe on a text message. Keep the radio on and be the exception to the rule for TMC Drivers to actually “listen” to the road. Good luck man and safe roads!!

Back