NC General Statutes (from PoPo)

§ 20‑135.2. Safety belts and anchorages.

(a) Every new motor vehicle registered in this State and manufactured, assembled, or sold after January 1, 1964, shall, at the time of registration, be equipped with at least two sets of seat safety belts for the front seat of the motor vehicle. Such seat safety belts shall be of such construction, design, and strength to support a loop load strength of not less than 5,000 pounds for each belt, and must be of a type approved by the Commissioner.
This subsection shall not apply to passenger motor vehicles having a seating capacity in the front seat of less than two passengers.

(b) After July 1, 1962, no seat safety belt shall be sold for use in connection with the operation of a motor vehicle on any highway of this State unless it shall be constructed and installed as to have a loop strength through the complete attachment of not less than 5,000 pounds and the buckle or closing device shall be of such construction and design that after it has received the aforesaid loop belt load it can be released with one hand with a pull of less than 45 pounds.

§ 20‑135.3. Seat belt anchorages for rear seats of motor vehicles.

Every new motor vehicle registered in this State and manufactured, assembled or sold after July 1, 1966, shall be equipped with sufficient anchorage units at the attachment points for attaching at least two sets of seat safety belts for the rear seat of the motor vehicle. Such anchorage units at the attachment points shall be of such construction, design and strength to support a loop load strength of not less than 5,000 pounds for each belt.

If the vehicle had it from the factory, it needs to have it (I think from '92 on up). If it didn't have one from the factory you can add one, but it's a federal regulation that everything have one now.

purpleTJchick said:
If you go out of state do you have to apply to their rules or your states rule?
I.E. paragon has the fender rule, NC does not. Can a person with no fenders go to PA and have no problems? I think this has been covered, but I could not find it

Yes, you have to comply with the state's law that you are traveling in. Personally, I am a bit more lienient with out of state folks for equipment violations...unless it is one of those universal laws that everyone should know (ie: tires should be round, have tread, and be somewhat inflated before embarking on trip).

paradisePWoffrd said:
what are the seat-belt laws in NC? does a vehicle originally with shoulder belts have to have shoulder belts or will just lap belts suffice in any vehicle?

1964 is the cutoff year for seatbelts. After that you have to use what the car was equipped with. In '64 they became standard equipment across the board.

yellow04 said:
Anyone know if you have to have the third brake light, or can you take it off and still be okay?

Shouldn't pass inspection if it were originally equipped with one. Not sure of a specific statute that one would write a ticket on for the ommision of the third light. Never really cared that much about it.

light requirements

CRK said:
Trailers, they count as motor vehicles when in tow. They must be registered, with the DMV issued tag attached to the rear, illuminated by a white light. In truth, I'm just happy when there is a tag attached somewhere, anywhere, on the trailer.
Trailers must have lights that function and include brake lights, marker lights, and turn signals. One multifuncion light per side will suffice. There are exemptions to this, however. If traffic behind can see the tail lights on the tow rig, then the trailer need not have lights. This would be for something like a motorcycle carrier, or low flat trailer. Keep in mind what kind of load will be on the trailer, cause if the load obscures the lights of the tow vehicle the trailer needs to be equipped with lights.

doesn't this exemption only apply to towed units that have a gross weight of less than 4,000 lbs?????????

What is the law about riding in the back of a jeep, say a scrambler where it has a pickup bed. Does this fall under riding in the bed of a truck or do you have to have seat belts on? I have removed the rear seat in my jeep. If someone is riding in the back and sitting on the rear fenders, like riding in the back of a truck, is this illegal, and do they have to have seat belts. If so, can I mount them elsewhere than the factory points, like to the roll cage?

sqrl$$ said:
What is the law about riding in the back of a jeep, say a scrambler where it has a pickup bed. Does this fall under riding in the bed of a truck or do you have to have seat belts on? I have removed the rear seat in my jeep. If someone is riding in the back and sitting on the rear fenders, like riding in the back of a truck, is this illegal, and do they have to have seat belts. If so, can I mount them elsewhere than the factory points, like to the roll cage?

There is nothing specific covering a CJ-8 in the statutes book. Other than children, there is no requirement for buckling up other than in the front seat. The pickup truck bed is fair game for those 13 and older (12 and under with adult supervision). I would consider the rear of a CJ-8 as a pickup bed. This is not to be confused with my support of this statute, as I don't think its wise to ride in the bed of a truck, or ride in any unenclosed vehicle without belting up. I've seen too much loose cargo get thrown down the road in significant collisions...I would hate to see a person in that position.

this is great info. thanks , i read all of it.

I agree with the passengers riding without a seatbelt, only reason I was asking is if in places like Uwharrie or Tellico where you drive in on state dirt roads to get to the trail head. Just wanted to know if passengers would be legal riding without seat belts, excluding the unsafe factor. Thanks for all the helpful info, this is a great post.

sqrl$$ said:
I agree with the passengers riding without a seatbelt, only reason I was asking is if in places like Uwharrie or Tellico where you drive in on state dirt roads to get to the trail head. Just wanted to know if passengers would be legal riding without seat belts, excluding the unsafe factor. Thanks for all the helpful info, this is a great post.

That will be up to their rules and regs. That is private property and they make the rules.

Removing doors, or using tube doors

Is it legal to drive without doors on a vehicle not specifically designed to have the doors removed (Jimmy vs Jeep)? Are tube doors legal?

afaik, you are fine with no doors ( i never had a problem) but you are required to have a mirror

Yes, you have to comply with the state's law that you are traveling in. Personally, I am a bit more lienient with out of state folks for equipment violations...unless it is one of those universal laws that everyone should know (ie: tires should be round, have tread, and be somewhat inflated before embarking on trip).

Not sure I agree with this. You can't enforce window tint law for this state on an out of state vehicle, why would you be able to enforce a law on something that was not easily changable on a vehicle. Helmet law is different since one can easily be carried. I am not sure that vehicle equipment law is enforcable on out of state vehicles. I am going to have to look it up.

Yea, I kinda wonder about this too. some states require a front license plate. That would be like telling someone they couldn't drive in that state till they get one.

Not sure I agree with this. You can't enforce window tint law for this state on an out of state vehicle, why would you be able to enforce a law on something that was not easily changable on a vehicle. Helmet law is different since one can easily be carried. I am not sure that vehicle equipment law is enforcable on out of state vehicles. I am going to have to look it up.
I am surprised to see (read) that no one has wondered why they can drive in another state if only registerd in this state or only has this state's driver's license. This goes along with the complications of each state's laws. The US Constitution -14th Amendment- oversees agreements between the states. In other words, states agree with and allow licensed drivers and vehicles from other states to drive in their state. (except apportioned commercial vehicles or those needing apportioned registration)
Now, here comes the fun part.
The US Constitution also allows each state to makes its own laws not to conflict or supercede the US Constitution. To sum this up quickly, it is the operators responsibilty to call the state that you will be traveling through and find out their laws especially when dealing with modified equipment as many of us have.
Most states have their motor vehicle law books for sale on the web under individual sites.

Maybe I can help clear this up. The individual states can not enforce the registration laws of other states, or those things that are associated with the registration. That keeps VA cops from pulling NC drivers for not having a front tag...That is part of the registration laws. Same thing goes for why I can't charge no insurance on a Tennessee driver who is not required to have insurance to be registered. However, if that out of state tag is expired it becomes a bit more complicated, and open to other avenues.

You are required to abide by the laws of the state you are traveling in. Remember, ignorance is not a defense. The only stuff that will get enforced for the most part is the "well duh" statutes. What I mean, is making sure your lights work, your tires are round (or at least egg shaped), and stuff isn't falling off as you go down the road.

Maybe I can help clear this up. The individual states can not enforce the registration laws of other states, or those things that are associated with the registration. That keeps VA cops from pulling NC drivers for not having a front tag...That is part of the registration laws. Same thing goes for why I can't charge no insurance on a Tennessee driver who is not required to have insurance to be registered. However, if that out of state tag is expired it becomes a bit more complicated, and open to other avenues.
You are required to abide by the laws of the state you are traveling in. Remember, ignorance is not a defense. The only stuff that will get enforced for the most part is the "well duh" statutes. What I mean, is making sure your lights work, your tires are round (or at least egg shaped), and stuff isn't falling off as you go down the road.

so does the fact that I keep hearing NC drivers get pulled over in VA for not having proper tire coverage mean that falls under a "well duh" statute?

Greg

didn't nc come out with a new seatbelt law? that all persons wear seatbelts. before, anyone under 16 had to. It is said that more than likely you will not be pulled because someone in the back seat is not wearing it. BUT, if you are pulled for something else, and they happen to notice the rider in the back not wearing one, you could be ticketed.

Back