NC General Statutes (from PoPo)

Maybe I can help clear this up. The individual states can not enforce the registration laws of other states, or those things that are associated with the registration. That keeps VA cops from pulling NC drivers for not having a front tag...That is part of the registration laws. Same thing goes for why I can't charge no insurance on a Tennessee driver who is not required to have insurance to be registered. However, if that out of state tag is expired it becomes a bit more complicated, and open to other avenues.
You are required to abide by the laws of the state you are traveling in. Remember, ignorance is not a defense. The only stuff that will get enforced for the most part is the "well duh" statutes. What I mean, is making sure your lights work, your tires are round (or at least egg shaped), and stuff isn't falling off as you go down the road.

Actually this isn't completely true, or shall I say there is no reciprocity in this manner.
I was in a wreck in GA a while back and while I had insurance (and my insurance card) I was cited for not having proof of insurance. The reasoning was because GA requires that the insurance card state the vehicle as well as the person- not just the person such as NC law.
Any such charges will be dismissed in court if you appear with a legal statement stating what is required in the state the vehicle is registered in. In my case I had to bring a notarized letter stating NC's law as well as a notarized copy of proof of insurance.
It basically boils down to what the police officer feels like doing.
For instance, when heading to Moab there are several states that DO require mud flaps and/or fender flares and you can be cited for not having them regardless of our state's law. You can get this ticket dropped, but you must appear in court which makes it rather unlikely that you'll be going out to Utah just to protest a minor traffic violation. To me, that's just a way of making money for the state. I know quite a few people would just buy cheapie mud flaps- stick 'em on, then remove them for the trail.
I have personally been involved in other situations where this comes into play, but I thought these were two good examples.

I also wanted to point out one more issue about trespassing. In addition to what you stated earlier about "no tresspassing" signs that are duly noted serving as a first warning (in NC a first warning must be made before charges can be filed against that person; don't ask how I know); a fence and/or gate also serves as a first warning- even if that gate is wide open.

Oh- and to add a little humor to this, I was talking to a police officer at my house once (again, don't ask) and we got on the discussion of the larceny of a K-9 being a felony. When I asked about felines the officer's response was "nobody cares about cats" :lol:

HTH,
Rusty

no. Wake Forest University had to make its roads public roads in order to charge it's students with DUIs when on campus. Until then there was nothing they could do.

However, the activity is not recommended for your safety and your neighbors.

no. Wake Forest University had to make its roads public roads in order to charge it's students with DUIs when on campus. Until then there was nothing they could do.

However, the activity is not recommended for your safety and your neighbors.
10-4 thanks

and I agree...

NCGS 20-313 states that any vehicle registered, or required to be registered in the state of NC must have, at the minimum, liability insurance. That basically means, if you drive it on any street or public vehicular areas (parking lots, places open to public travel, etc...) you have to have insurance unless registered in a state that does not require insurance.

The meaning is off on this. If you are from a state that does not require insurance, but you drive a vehicle that NC WOULD require to be registered, you need to have insurance before coming to NC. This is case law in NC.

If you travel to any state, you are required to comply with ALL the laws in that state. This includes window tinting, lifts, tire coverage, and license plates. All this is coverNow there is also something to be said for "curtesy". Many police will not ticket an item they know not to be a requirement in your state. However don't push it if you are an out of state student!

What are the placement laws for aux lights? I know you can only have two, and per §20-131.b. headlamps cannot be placed over 42 inches, but the best I could tell, that only applies to the headlamps. I was unable to find a height restriction for aux lights other than "not project a glaring or dazzling light to persons in front of the vehicle" and being placed downward (§20-131.d.)

Any legaliy issues with relocating the stock fuel tank into the bed of a truck? Or swapping an aftermarket cell?

1964 is the cutoff year for seatbelts. After that you have to use what the car was equipped with. In '64 they became standard equipment across the board.
Actually, I think that was 1967, not 1964. I'm pretty sure of it, and the link to the new seat belt law also says 1967 was the year seat belts were mandatory equipment.

Edit: Not that it really affects many folks, obviously.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I think it was really 1968, not 67. I seem to remember having a 67 Camaro that had no factory seat belts, but I could be just not seeing through the fog of the years very clearly. Regardless, it's definitely not 1964.

GS_20-135.4 specifically exempts vehicles modified for off road use.
Definitions. – For the purposes of this section, the term "private passenger automobile" shall mean a four‑wheeled motor vehicle designed principally for carrying passengers, for use on public roads and highways, except a multipurpose passenger vehicle which is constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off‑road operation.
So I am still clear to go for the BDS 6.5" lift kit so I can fit 35". 37" if I trim a little.

GS_20-135.4 specifically exempts vehicles modified for off road use.
Definitions. – For the purposes of this section, the term "private passenger automobile" shall mean a four‑wheeled motor vehicle designed principally for carrying passengers, for use on public roads and highways, except a multipurpose passenger vehicle which is constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off‑road operation.
So I am still clear to go for the BDS 6.5" lift kit so I can fit 35". 37" if I trim a little.

Anyone? I've got a K5 with 8" springs and an s10 body on it. If all the lights and stuff work it should be legal right?

Who knows, but I think a lot of stuff that we do or modify falls in a don't ask/don't tell category. Who would really notice right off that you have an S-10 on a blazer frame? Unless it became an issue, I wouldn't really worry about it.

Also, one thing I'd like to ask:

When you lift a vehicle, are you required by law to notify the insurance company?

When you lift a vehicle, are you required by law to notify the insurance company?
The insurance company still thinks that my Jeep has a 258, stock height/tires, and is "for weekend pleasure driving." :driver:
LOL well, I guess it is "weekend pleasure," if you consider racing as such.

No such law.

However, if you do not, then if you are in an accident, then (1) the adjuster may give you a hard time about it being a modified vehicle, or (2) they will give yo ua hard time on the value of the lift or not being covered in the policy.

I would like some more info on the street legality of "buggies". What makes a rail/dune buggy legal? Could I buy a cheap street legal rail/dune buggy and use the motor and integrate the VIN stamped parts into my rock buggy and just keep it titled and the insurance the same?

Also, what about one seat moon buggies... Any snowballs chance to be street legal? or are pigs gonna have to fly first?

A buddy of mine has a rail buggy. His is titled as like a 67 VW. That way he doesnt have to get it inspected. He just has seat belts and lights. He's never had any trouble with it.

The thing about those rail buggies is the only thing that is VW about them is the motor, so hows the cop gonna know anyway...

-Jud

Back