NC lift law limits ( 6" max )?

Well first, your owners manual should have the specs needed, second, a LEO that rights for something as stupid as lift laws is going to lose a lot of credibility in the courts MOST LEOs will not write you for that crap. Now you may get stopped for it, and there is probably something else they are looking for, but I don’t think many will write you for it..I would not even stop you for it!! Unless I wanted to look at it closer:flipoff2:

Hey Ricky, I dig the dented Mexi-chrome diff cover!:flipoff2:

How is it that whatever the issue, a cop shows up to tell you that "Yes, it IS illegal. I will ticket you for it. And any questioning of its legality is just 'nit picking'."

Well, I didn't just show up. I've been here longer than you. The question was asked if it is illegal. I was simply answering the question...as I have numerous times before. It's even posted in the important information section.

I think you might have missunderstood me with the nit picking thing. I don't mind questioning of the law, I have several that I question on a daily basis. I was referring to the fact that every time this comes up, everybody wants to speculate how the 6 inches is determined, and just because Joe didn't get stopped it must not be enforced. This is the type of nit picking I was talking about. This is a yes/no question. Yes, more than 6 inches either way is illegal...its in the books, nothing we can do about it till the law is amended.

Oh, and "trust me" is right up there with "You understand your rights? Ok, now just tell me exactly what happened so we can work this thing out."

Just saying that from actual events in a court room, not a message board, that this charge can be charged and will stick. Again, just answering the question. There is nothing to work out, or maybe I'm missing something.

Protect and serve. You guys rock. Just precious. God Bless America. And High Life. Rock'awn!

Have whatever opinion you would like of my profession. It doensn't bother me one bit. I've heard much worse...and that was from drunk 40 year old ladies.

Krehel24, you are kind of right, in that this is not a customary charge. However, charging it has nothing to do with the credibility of the officer. There is not a different book of stupid laws in addition to the book of "real" laws. They are all one in the same.

The average person has no idea how many laws there are on the books. How about littering from a motor vehicle. Not only is it a charge within the motor vehicle laws, it carries with it driver's license points. Now that is a cheesy charge in my book...but I know a bunch of Troopers the will pull and write for this when a smoker tosses their butt out the window. How about not signing your registration card with BLACK ink...this is a misdemeanor. You can be arrested on the spot for this oversight...Cheesy, you betcha.

Please don't get me wrong here, but I've been replying to the question of lifts on this board since 2002 (when it was NCTacomas.com). And, no I don't have a hardon for this law. I've only charged it once, and that was for a Caprice where the rockers were at head level. Tell me that I needed a spec sheet to see that it was over 6 inches. They plead not guilty because it was a stupid law, and were promptly found guilty, not that I really care.

if i were a cop, the only time i would enforce it is when i saw a bunch of hood-rats in a hooptie with 20+ inches of lift, and woofers so big it messes with your heartrate.

IMO it's just like the liscense plate cover law. There can be no doubt that it's really illegal, but 99% of cops just don't really care to enforce it. On the other hand, if they sort of wanted to pull you over just to hassle you, you gave them a perfectly legal reason to do so.

They haven't been enforcing it here in Jacksonville. I see guys all the time running 38's-44 and even a guy on 49's. I am getting ready to sit mine up on 38's so I hope they don't start enforcing it.
There could be a different way of enforcing it in Jacksonville. Are you a marine that goes on base/mainside? When I was in, I bought a beatiful f-150 with 6" and 38's. When I went to get my base DOD sticker I was denied. There was a black Topsygt in charge of that office and said he was tired of seeing redneck trucks on HIS base. I sold it a month after I bought it. Military installations have a whole different set of rules then what is right outside their gates.

How about the "letter of permission"? has ANYONE EVER been issued one? The attorney general still hasnt called me back yet, so I will continue to follow up on this letter till I am shut down completely. The ONLY reason I am asking this ( yes, I know about the sticky of all the laws pertaining to trucks and such listed on here, and HAVE read them ) is because I am a retired LEO from Florida. and wish to be completely legal. YEs, there ARE a$$hole cops, and there are kewl cops, have known and worked with both. My opinion is that the vast majority, if given the proper respect and couteousness, will NOT pursue the ridiculas laws, unless provoked to do so. I was not questioning the "legality" of this law, as i have read the statute, I was asking what everyone does about the law, and IF anyone has every been given this "letter". As a retired LEO I know each and every law on the books is enforcable, albeit not all laws are written very often if ever, but more rather used as PC for a stop to seek more serious violations ( drugs, DUI, etc...). I relocated to NC several years ago, after i retired, and have only recently found this site, and LOVE it! Very helpfull, GREAT people, and the willingness to offer advice is amazing, and GREATLY appreciated! You guys rock! Each and everyone of you, although you may not agree at times, have offered your opinions, and facts, which is what this is all about! Thankyou! As a general rule, I beleive we all want the same thing on here, good information, legal opperation, and safety on the trails, and you guys offering your experiences and advice is more helpfull to everyone than you can imagine, and SO much more appreciated than finding ou tthe hard way via cost, damage, or death. Again, THANK YOU to everyone!
ps, HAS anyone EVER gotten that "letter"?

Back