NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

GONOVRIT

blue collar brotherhood
Lets see the pics and read the stories!

No story on this guy other than he's gonna have one ugly rack!
IMG_1712.JPG

I haven't bought mine yet, but my dad said 250 for the big game license, 50 dollars for your first buck tag and 20 dollars for every buck tag after that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sounds about right. It cost me 150ish to go for 1 week of hog hunting(75 for the WMA tag, 75 for big game). I got spoiled living in Greenville NC. Had prime access to hunting property and was in the woods at different farms 4-5days a week. Now I'm lucky to go 1-2 times a year.:(

Tn out of state fishing license is 100 a year I have no trouble paying it, Tennessee spends the money on the rivers and they generaly seem to be better off than nc cleaner, more maintained, more access. The problem I have is nc a resident sportsman used to be 40 bucks. Now it's what 70? Add a crfl a bear tag a duck stamp and it's right at 100 for a nc sportsman now. I've not seen the hike in money apply to anything nc a lot of the boat ramps aren't maintained, patrolled and you don't want to go to the public access because of the rift raft.

Prices were raised for NC in the last year or two, but they have stayed the same since the 90s. Falls Lake got some nicer boat ramps/docks installed a few years ago(loooong overdue). It sucks to go down the river and see tons of trash everywhere from other boaters etc. Hell, public access boat ramps can provide day long entertainment especially on the first warm summer day of the year :lol:

Got my first Turkey this year.

MA0CyzNl.jpg

Got it in Stokes. Can't remember how heavy (22lbs?) but 1"-1/8 Spurs. Pretty nerve-racking waiting on them to come out of the pines as they stopped gobbling when I called when some dogs ran by. They'd been quiet for about a solid 30min and I had figured they'd been spooked and didn't want to come down. They ended up coming down about 30yds away and all 7 of them walked right up to me. Picked the one that was strutting the most and longest. Shot him at about 10yds away in the head with x-full 32" barrel and no.3 shot. That's why the tarp is over it...

Wish I'd went back the next day for another because it got ate too quick. The wife and in-laws are kind of sceptical about wild game and all that. I served it as well as some chicken and lamb for Easter when I had everyone over at our house. There was only a half a drumstick left by the end of the evening, and we had about half of the other served meats leftover...

Last edited:
My lifelong friend/turkey hunting partner and I had a spring we'll never forget this yr! Epic hunts, hikes and shots. I'd probably give up all my vacations as long as I could get in the Pennsylvania turkey woods every year, nothing like it for me.
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_1327.JPG

I don't hunt (however I could be persuaded into turkey hunting with little effort).
As far as fishing goes, SC has been hit with more rain and flood this year than I ever remember. Fishing has been scattered. When it's good, it's great.
IMG_20170225_172957385.jpg

Catfishing has been a workout. Fishing with two rods at one time has been challenging. I hate that I missed the peek brim season. The narrow windows have not fallen into my feasible time frames.
I do have the rest of the summer to go after stripers though. If it's like last year, I'll catch so many, I'll be sick of looking at them.

I don't hunt (however I could be persuaded into turkey hunting with little effort).
As far as fishing goes, SC has been hit with more rain and flood this year than I ever remember. Fishing has been scattered. When it's good, it's great.
View attachment 250140
Catfishing has been a workout. Fishing with two rods at one time has been challenging. I hate that I missed the peek brim season. The narrow windows have not fallen into my feasible time frames.
I do have the rest of the summer to go after stripers though. If it's like last year, I'll catch so many, I'll be sick of looking at them.

You fishing from a boat or kayak? I've been wanting to take my kayak down to SC to fish but haven't been able to/don't know the rivers.

You fishing from a boat or kayak? I've been wanting to take my kayak down to SC to fish but haven't been able to/don't know the rivers.
We kayak fish the catawba pretty regularly. There are a few places you can fish solo but for the most part, you need two vehicles. The dam in ft mill to river park in rock hill is my favorite stretch but it has become a tourist destination. There are plenty of sand bars to get out and strech your legs. Ive caught a few stripers, lots of large mouth, and some decent blues(39lb14oz is my best there). Landsford canal to hwy 9 is a much more peaceful trip. No development or tubers but some motor boat traffic. Also not really any good rest stops until youre almost to 9. Good fishing but it gets a lot more pressure since its accesable by motor boat. The best striper fishing is going to be between river park and landsford but its a looong trip. Something like 18 miles. There isnt any public access between the two points so you may not see anyone from the time you put in until you get to landsford. We made it in 10 hours last spring but we didnt get to fish nearly as much as we would have liked. You really need your shit together on that trip. The sun and fatigue will hit hard. Lots of snacks, water, and spf are a must.
Id be glad to show you around sometime. I dont claim to be a great angler but i love being on the river.

Was up on the property over the weekend seeing if I could find any coyotes...didn't find any, but did see several deer in velvet. Pretty cool, I've actually never seen velvet in real life.

Both. I'll use the kayak if it's less than a 10 mile venture. I've been known to paddle 20+ miles in one trip in one day but I rather reserve that for overnight two days. I'll put my 1548 in at any landing on Edisto, peedee, Catawba, Congaree, Wateree, Lynches, Tyger, Broad, Santee, Little, Saluda and Sandy to run 5-70 miles. I've done it my whole life and know them well. 25 Johnson seahorse will handle brackish and saltwater, furthering my range. I don't like rocky waters in the Jon boat so I'll opt for my 10xt Angler kayak.

We kayak fish the catawba pretty regularly. There are a few places you can fish solo but for the most part, you need two vehicles. The dam in ft mill to river park in rock hill is my favorite stretch but it has become a tourist destination. There are plenty of sand bars to get out and strech your legs. Ive caught a few stripers, lots of large mouth, and some decent blues(39lb14oz is my best there). Landsford canal to hwy 9 is a much more peaceful trip. No development or tubers but some motor boat traffic. Also not really any good rest stops until youre almost to 9. Good fishing but it gets a lot more pressure since its accesable by motor boat. The best striper fishing is going to be between river park and landsford but its a looong trip. Something like 18 miles. There isnt any public access between the two points so you may not see anyone from the time you put in until you get to landsford. We made it in 10 hours last spring but we didnt get to fish nearly as much as we would have liked. You really need your shit together on that trip. The sun and fatigue will hit hard. Lots of snacks, water, and spf are a must.
Id be glad to show you around sometime. I dont claim to be a great angler but i love being on the river.
Just a few miles down from Langford canal is a group of islands I love to camp on. Let's plan a trip one day. You cover the drop off vehicle, I'll cover the pick up vehicle. I can either park on hwy 9 or the landing on Fishing Creek reservoir in great falls.

Got caught this morning by a small buck drawing back on a nice 9pt buck with a very large body. At 25yds it was a an easy shot for me. They just bounced off, made me sick!
IMG_1542.PNG

IMG_1546.PNG

I watched a couple fawns for over 30min this evening before 5 does joined the feeding. I got caught drawing back(again!) by a large mature doe that had snuck right behind me. She bounced a short distance and commenced to blowing and stomping for nearly 5 minutes. The deer in front of me never strayed and went back to feeding after a short time. Mouthy Nanny had me pinned down as she knew I was there and I could see her staring at me out of the corner of my eye 20yds away, blowing and stomping. Finally she put her head down and briefly walked through some autumn olive straight for a shooting lane, I was pissed, adjusted quickly, drew back and hit the release when she emerged. I love rage broadheads!

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

I watched a couple fawns for over 30min this evening before 5 does joined the feeding. I got caught drawing back(again!) by a large mature doe that had snuck right behind me. She bounced a short distance and commenced to blowing and stomping for nearly 5 minutes. The deer in front of me never strayed and went back to feeding after a short time. Mouthy Nanny had me pinned down as she knew I was there and I could see her staring at me out of the corner of my eye 20yds away, blowing and stomping. Finally she put her head down and briefly walked through some autumn olive straight for a shooting lane, I was pissed, adjusted quickly, drew back and hit the release when she emerged. I love rage broadheads!

Me and the guy I share a hunt lease with have been after the same doe that always has her head on a swivel for 2 years now...can't wait to drop her!

My 20yo nephew shot this bruiser this evening about 5pm. He's not cared to much about hunting since he went a few times when he was 14. He went today w his grandpa/my dad and was sitting in ladder stand I put up for dad. I'm very proud of him after hearing the story.....He heard the buck tearing up some trees,knocking,breaking branches and could see the trees shaking about 100 yrds out in the river bottom woods. He wasn't sure it was a deer making all the racket until he got a glimpse of him. The buck slowly walked towards him rubbing and crashing more trees. He put the scope on a CVA BP rifle on him and could see the buck @ 70 yrds but he did'nt shoot because of brush/limbs in the way. 2 more times he sorta had a shot but he did not shoot. He waited for minutes while the woods were getting dark when the deer finally stepped into an opening @ 40 yrds, but he could only see his shoulder/neck. He took the shot, a bit high on the backside of the shoulder but the Barnes spitfire destroyed his lungs and he watched the deer crash after running about 75 yrds. The buck is about 200# ,neck is 25", 4" from the skull.
7520.jpeg

1116172001.jpg

junior is 6'2
1116171959.jpg

Last edited:
Back