NCSU parking question

Agreed. She doesn't NEED one. I just don't want to have to go get her. This way she can drive her ass home.
And why does she need to drive her ass home? Or better yet, why would you need to go get her?
Not being able to come home easily is a good thing.

It's only what 100 miles? Hour and a half drive?
If it's an emergency, you'll get her. If it's not, then she can find a way to get home. And if not, then it must not be THAT important to her to get there. Where there's a will there's a way. It's not like there are no other students going from Raleigh to Winston.

I'll put on my Grumpy Old Man hat and say, > 20 years ago I could find ways to get from a tiny ass town in the mountain to Cary, w/o having the power of the internet and social media at my fingertips 24/7, and so did thousands of other freshmen.

OK asshole time over :D

...I got nothing. these are extremely valid points. :D
I suspect the correct answer is, "Talk to her mother. I'm just the chauffer trying to get out of the job."

Luckily I still have 6 years before having to cross this bridge with his mother.

Agreed. She doesn't NEED one. I just don't want to have to go get her. This way she can drive her ass home.

Train tickets from Raleigh to High Point are ~$20 each way and ~2 hr duration.

I vaguely remember that's how it was when I was there in 99-03, but according to NC State Transportation home page....Freshmen were eligible to buy parking permits after July 20th. I'm guessing if they've got the space, they'll gladly take your money for a permit.

When I was there in 04-05 I parked in the Dan Allen parking deck, never had an issue getting a permit. But I didn't live on campus so maybe the rules were different.

Duane

Things have changed out there a lot in the last 15 years. That entire area beside UT was redeveloped; not only are the lots gone but so are a bunch of the old buildings along Hillsborough street. I signed up to get on the list for parking my first week Freshman year (1998) and by fall 1999 I had a parking pass on campus. They were maybe $200/yr back then. Now when I have to go up there for work meetings it is a total pain and I end up having to walk quite a ways just to get to the admin buildings. The whole campus is ****ed up in my opinion. What's up with not being able to drive all the way through on Dan Allen anymore? Too many stupid kids crossing the road in traffic? A few bumps and bruises would teach them a lesson.

FYI, just to put things into perspective, I was visiting a colleague at the U. of Manchester in Manchester, UK. We walked all around campus, which they are in the process of merging two former campuses together. It's the biggest school in the country at something like 50k students... right in the middle of the city... and they have eliminated almost all parking save for a couple garages on the perimeter. Purely a pedestrian (or bicycles) campus. Will take something like 45 mins to walk from one side to the other once finished. His new office will be right in the middle, so after his 25 min commute from home to the edge he still has another 20 mins to get to the office.

Back