Need advice on a laptop to run AutoCad

bigmackloud

Hey,

well i'm in a tough spot. i really really need to get into a class this semester, but the class is full. the size is limited by the number of computers in the lab. however the professor said i could join the class if i had my own laptop to work from and i could load the AutoCad software on to it that they'd be using. the problem is i don't have a laptop.

so i'm forced to consider buying a laptop, which sucks because my desktop is fairly new and does everything i really need; just can't carry it around. but this one class could set me back an entire semester for graduating.

so ne one have advice on system requirements for a laptop to run something like AutoCad, which is obviously graphics intensive.

would i be better off with 512MB of RAM and 128MB of dedicated video memory, or have a 1GB of RAM with 128MB of shared video memory? sure having 1GB ram with the dedicated video memory would be nice but hey i'm a broke college guy with a CJ! any brands to avoid? i noticed circuit city carries a brand called ACER which by the specs looks pretty good, but those "off brand" computers make me nervous.

some quick help would be sooo great.

thanks,
bigmac

PS: if anyone has a capable used laptop they'd like to sell let me know!

Alienware has some nice laptops with decent video cards. The Dell Precision Workstation laptops also do a decent job with 3D rendering as well. I used to work for a company that made 3D radiology software and those were the only laptops that we could use for sales demos. Take a look at laptops intended for gamers as those will probably be most in line with what you need. Hopefully you can find something used and/or refurbished. Good luck!

as much RAM as possible! I dont think Video matters as much because Autocad is relatively a simple program graphics wise (unless your talking 3D autocad!!)

A fairly fast processor is a must as well, you dont want anything slow when working with Autocad because its INSANLY frustrating!

AutoCAD LT or 3D?

Theres a major difference!

I run AutoCAD 2004 on my laptop

IBM thinkpad (circa 1999)
128 ram
Pentium III

When I'm doing 2-d wireframe it's fine....keeps up, does great.

Render? Well I mind as well take a lunch and come back in an hour to see how it's doing :rolleyes:

I also run AutoCAD LT 2005 on it which blazes

Which one will you be required to buy? Will you be running LISP's? Any Add-on programs?

Need more info

Yeah, it really comes down to what you're doing and what additional software is running on top of AutoCAD. Right now, ACAD 2004 w/ ADT is using about 128MB of system memory, with one drawing open. I have some drawings that'll pull more than 1GB of ram when they're open.

Keep in mind, you are actually getting a fab deal, if they are willing to instal AutoCad onto your laptop for you.
That isn't a cheap thing to buy and you're getting it free.

Hey,

yea, i'm not sure which version of autocad it will be. and i'm not sure if i'll get to keep it when the class is over. (would be nice) i'm going to try to get more details out of my instructor this morning. he apperently doesn't responde to emails.

let's says it's the 3D version. then what type of requirements are we talking about? i'll also be taking more classes using SolidWorks. generally these classes are in a lab but if i could run it on my laptop that would be nice. if i'm going to spend the money i might as well get something i can use.

thanks again,
bigmac

I just bought a stick of RAM (512MB) for my laptop yesterday at Circuit City for $35(75-40 mail in rebate). So you could get a laptop with not so good ram and then add a stick. I got my laptop off of ebay, and it does exactly what I need. Ive got about $800 in it now, and the specs are as follows:
Asus M3000Np (M3Np), now sold as a Portable One MX
~5lbs w/battery
1.2" thick
14.1" screen
60GB HD
1GB RAM
1.6Ghz Centrino
DVD +/-/Double Layer/RAM burner
Intel 2915 A/B/G wireless

I decided to go with the Asus because it is one of the easiest units to upgrade. Its also thin and relatively light. You can get lighter ones but they are all 12" screens and small keyboards. The 15" screens I think are too big to be really portable. The 1.6Ghz processor is more than enough for most things, and I don't even have 60 Gigs of stuff on my desktop harddrive. 512MB of ram is sufficient, but I can really tell a differnence now that it is doubled to a Gig. I think my favorite thing about it is the battery life. Doing normal computing tasks, I can get just under 5hrs on a charge, and doing more intensive stuff still keeps me above three hours. Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, let me know.

bigmackloud said:
let's says it's the 3D version. then what type of requirements are we talking about? i'll also be taking more classes using SolidWorks.

Me personally, I'd get something with a 1gig of ram or better

Modeling sucks the life out of ram.

I had a school once that ended up being 6 megs (file size) in 2D but thats about the largest FILE size project I've had. But a good size hard drive wouldn't hurt either

If it turns out you won't be doing any 3D rendering I am sitting on about 150 IBM Thinkpads and Fujitsu Lifebooks that don't have an operating system on them that I can get you a decent price on. They are all leftovers from some companies we acquired.

have you got any running windows 95, or can you load 95 on one?

I have a plotter here I can't use because it only runs windows 95 (calcomp) :rolleyes:

I need a laptop that has windows 95 and a port for a LAN (cat5)

Oh, and my boss won't pay for this experiment so CHEAP is the keyword :rolleyes:

CasterTroy said:
have you got any running windows 95, or can you load 95 on one?

I have a plotter here I can't use because it only runs windows 95 (calcomp) :rolleyes:

I need a laptop that has windows 95 and a port for a LAN (cat5)

Oh, and my boss won't pay for this experiment so CHEAP is the keyword :rolleyes:

None of them have an operating system because we have an enterprise agreement with Micro$oft. You would have to supply your own but I bet you could find Win95 on Ebay for cheap. The laptops are IBM A22m and X30's along with Fujitsu Lifebook 2562's.

Hey, one thing to consider is the screen size, too.
How is your eyesight?
Wil lyou by any chance have access to a monior in the classroom you ca plug it into? My guess is No, but who knows.
Personally if I knew I was going to be doing alot of Cad work, I'd want alot of visual real estate to view it with. Many OEs make models w/ wide-format screens that are just freaking huge. They are Awesome.
However that comes at a cost - weight! So consider just how often you plan to lug it around. Lightweight IF you carry it much, BUT means small screen, keypad etc. Just food for thought.

Oh Re: buying more memory as a cheap add-in. Yes, thsi is a great way to save money. HOWEVER, make sure your model has open memory slots. So OEs, to save $$, wil use (for example) 2 128 m stick instead of 1 256, using both slots... in which case you have to lose 1 to gain 1, etc.

RatLabGuy said:
Oh Re: buying more memory as a cheap add-in. Yes, thsi is a great way to save money. HOWEVER, make sure your model has open memory slots. So OEs, to save $$, wil use (for example) 2 128 m stick instead of 1 256, using both slots... in which case you have to lose 1 to gain 1, etc.

And if you are going to upgrade your RAM make sure the laptop will support the amount of memory you will need.

I've used AutoCad in the office for around 9 years now. I would check the system requirements for the version you will be using. Don't go below the AutoDesk recommendations. Get a laptop with the largest screen you can afford and max out the RAM. Personally, I don't think that the processor speed is as critical as RAM. Save yourself some money and install the memory yourself. NEWEGG.com had pretty good prices when I purchased a laptop in October.

Good luck with the class.
Matt

My dad just bought one of those Acers from circuit city and it works just fine. He is very happy with it.

That being said...if autocad runs on OS X, there is absolutely no reason to buy something that runs on Windows. Apple all the way. I love my powerbook and after many years with Microsoft...there is no comparison.

jeep9mm said:
My dad just bought one of those Acers from circuit city and it works just fine. He is very happy with it.

That being said...if autocad runs on OS X, there is absolutely no reason to buy something that runs on Windows. Apple all the way. I love my powerbook and after many years with Microsoft...there is no comparison.

Remember - using the same verison as the school lab. I think the chances that it is non-windows are zilcho.

Hey,

well i've got good news. i went and talked to the professor again this morning (3rd time meeting with him) and when i told him i wanted this class bad enough that i was willing to go buy a laptop, i think he felt sorry for me. said he had an extra laptop that he would bring to class for me to use. PLUS, he gave me AutoCad 2000 to take home and load on my desktop so i can work here too. so i really dodged a bullet on this one.

thanks again,
bigmac

Thats an awesome score!

You know, as a student, you can buy autocad 2005 full strength for less than 1/2 of what I can get it for as a 10 year subscriber :mad:

You may want to take advantage of that opportunity before you get out of school if you're considering a career in design.

Just my $.02

Back