Need Advice

BadMagoo

I have a stock Wrangler TJ (4.0L/3.07 gears/Dana 30F/35R) that is my daily driver. Soon, I will be installing a friend's 4" trailmaster lift and putting on 33s. The objective is to go to Uwharrie National Forest this summer and have a good time. The problem is that I have enough funds to do only one of the two necessary mods that come thereafter. I can either install a Slip Yoke Eliminator/CV Driveshaft or regear to 4.56.

I live in Wilmington and I take occasional trips to Winston-Salem and I'll have to get to UNF every so often. Therefore I do need highway capability.

I am worried that when I put on the lift and drop the transfer case, it won't get rid of the driveline vibrations. Don't want to end up with a death wobble if I go over 60mph! I definetely see the need for a SYE/CV because I hear that it eliminates the vibrations all together.

The other part of my problem is that if I get the SYE/CV I'll be broke for a while and most likely be going to uwharrie with 3.07 gears. I gather that 33s and 3.07 gears makes for a disaster on the trail. I just moved here from Colorado and it was bad enough rock crawling over there with the 30" tires I've got. I couldn't crawl on much of anything, I seem to just ramp over top of things. Highway driving doesn't sound too favorable with 3.07s either, after I'm lifted with the 33s.

In your opinion, which would be the better buy under my situation? The SYE/CV or changing the gear ratio with my existing Dana 35 Rear? Or hey anything else that might help me, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

do the SYE .....then try to find a used set of 4.10 axles that someone removed from a 4banger TJ

Save up until you can do the lift, tires, re-gear, and get the SYE/CV drive shaft, all in one whack. Wheel what you have till then. Stock is more of a challenge at UNF anyway.

So you are going to drive from wilmington to UNF,do some wheelin and drive home. After the mods your money will be short. what happens if you brake something? how you going to get home?

If you do the lift, you have to do the SYE, no way around it. That being said, I wheeled URE stock for over a year. Did a 4.5" lift, 33" tires, with 3.07 stock gears. And wheeled for another year, also drove it back and forth from Sanford to RTP daily. Kiss 5th goodbye. But it can be done. Plenty of easy trails in URE for that set up. It takes time to build up, don't try to do it all at once.

Also when you re-gear, make sure you do the lockers at the same time.

Yea, there's plenty of stock wheeling to do at URE. I'd save your money to do it all at once. (Don't forget to include lockers when doing gears.) Especially if you're only going to go to URE a couple of times this summer. You can have plenty of fun there in stock form. I did it in a stock yota with no first gear. Where abouts in CO are you from?

Edit: Never mind about the lockers and gears. Get new axles when you can afford them. Lockers and gears in your current axles will be a waste of money.

URE is way more fun in a stock Jeep. Forget the lift and tires and just regear to 4.10. Now that's fun.

Well I got a quote on 4.56 gears/new carriers/installation in my existing axles for the heck of it and my God, it was $1950!! I don't know how that came about, but i was thinking $1000 as max for all that. I see why no one bothers doing that now. If anyone knows where I can find a set of 44s, let me know!

Thanks for the replies.
This is an expensive hobby if I ever saw one.

BadMagoo said:
Well I got a quote on 4.56 gears/new carriers/installation in my existing axles for the heck of it and my God, it was $1950!! I don't know how that came about, but i was thinking $1000 as max for all that. I see why no one bothers doing that now. If anyone knows where I can find a set of 44s, let me know!
Thanks for the replies.
This is an expensive hobby if I ever saw one.

not sure where that quote was...

but I had mine done 12 months ago, and paid $650 for Spicer gears, master install kits, and labor...;)

you can definitely get it closer to the $1000 range...

you're not gonna want to lock the D35...

Greg

i'm running an 03 tj with a 4 inch lift and 33 tires and 3.07 gears and have never had vibration prolbems. but i did just install a nthdegree tummytucker and sye, still waiting on driveshaft

Back