Need Help! I'm new to Jeeps and 4x4's

Kevin Carlisle

So I just purchased a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L and I have a few questions. This is all new territory to me. It is currently sitting on stock springs with 2" spacers and 34x10.50x15 swampers. I identified the rear end to be a Dana 35 and I'm not quite sure of the front axle.

1. I don't plan on doing anything with the suspension until I install a long arm lift. Is there any freebie tips to improving the stock suspension until then?

2. Is the Dana 35 worth upgrading?

3. Are there any issues or weaknesses I should be aware of with this particular model?

Attachments

• IMG_2592.JPG
    IMG_2592.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 279
I'm not experienced in the build on these, but within 24 hours you might be Really confused! You got a good Platform, & drivetrain/engine combo, other than the D35. I would expect the advise to be, save your $$ for something else. Don't spend on the 35. Welcome to the Forum! Your Also in a Great Area for support & builders!

What are your plans? Daily driver, off road only toy, will it be in the road it trailered?

Most all of your questions depend on more info to be answered.
What type of wheeling, and where, do you plan to wheel(as you mentioned some places around Morganton, Yes there are a few, but make sure where you go is legal)
Are you going to stay with the 34" swampers?
So what's wrong with a Dana 35? easier to say what's not wrong. It breaks easy, easier if you put a locker in it. You break, and the axle will come out of the tube. Over all, honestly, it's just junk.
There are several upgrades you can do.
Chrysler 8.25
Ford 8.8
Dana 44
All can be found with your same gearing and lug pattern.(if it hasn't been changed)
Moderate wheeling, the 30 will hold up, but highly suggest upgrading your axle shafts to Chromo's
Most all of your upgrades will depend on how much you want to sink into your Jeep.
To keep your junk alive, even after upgrades, add a winch into the mix. Stay on the lighter side of the RPM range, and don't be too proud to pull cable.
You can order an after market front bumper to hold said winch, or, you can have one of the great fab guys here on this board to set you up with a good custom built one. @ol'Jeeps or @BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC. are both great choices. Scott or Chris are both great local choices.

Places I'd like to go would include but not limited to, Richland Road, Brown Mountain, The Flats and the SHOP..... I've heard all of these places are great fun. I'm just looking for fun trails to get out and learn and make memories with my 5 year old son. The plan is to stay with 33's and once I do the lift stay with 35's or 37's. I've done the whole mud thing and it just wears parts out and gets nasty. I'm leaning more torwards crawling and just trail riding and not so much mud bogging.

Hell! Wheel it like it is! When something breaks, upgrade it! The problem with your questions is that the answers all depends on your style of "wheeling" if you want ride URE with your 5 year old and maybe go around the really "hard" stuff, then leave it the way it is and let the jeep grow as you grow into the sport..if you want to go to the Shop and go all Fuller on it, we'll then you need to start building!! Something to remember, you are asking advice from people that have been in this for 10,15,20 years, really old people like @Paul like 45years!! Lol, so most of us are on are second third fourth..ect rig so we are going to tell you what we have all learned over the years. It all comes down to what kind of wheeling you want to do? How hard do you want to beat on it? How much do you care about the jeep?
All that said I would say the first thing you should spend money on is a winch and some recovery gear, this way you are not a total trail plug...

Awesome information..... I don't care to beat the hell out of the Jeep but I just want to get to the point where we can go out and have fun and have a reliable rig that I won't have to worry about it breaking on me every time we go out. I don't like doing anything half assed but I don't want to throw 15 to 20 thousand into this Jeep. Sounds like I should start with a locally built custom front bumper and a decent winch then onto the axles.

If anyone cares to share, where is the best place to source some axles? I will be doing some research and deciding on what I want to go with.

I love ZJs (which is the two letter name of your particular model). If you plan to do long arms, then I would just leave everything as is until you decide which long arms you are going to install. As others have said, toss the D35. I ran a Ford 8.8 in the rear and a D44 in the front of both of my ZJs and they were on 35s, and I used every bit of the 5.2 and never had any issues with them. Be warned, 35-37 tires and long arms on a ZJ will get pricey to get it done right. Check out my build thread in my sig for some pics and some ideas and feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions.

I love ZJs (which is the two letter name of your particular model). If you plan to do long arms, then I would just leave everything as is until you decide which long arms you are going to install. As others have said, toss the D35. I ran a Ford 8.8 in the rear and a D44 in the front of both of my ZJs and they were on 35s, and I used every bit of the 5.2 and never had any issues with them. Be warned, 35-37 tires and long arms on a ZJ will get pricey to get it done right. Check out my build thread in my sig for some pics and some ideas and feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions.

That's awesome..... I am really liking the Rusty's long arm lift.

X2 on the 8.8 rear and waggy 44 front setup. I ran it on 35's with the 318 and had no problems. I ran 4.88 with a spartan up front and a Detroit in the rear and she was a going machine!!

I am a big fan of Clayton long arms, some people find problems with Rusty's

I say wheel what ya got and learn how to wheel first. Since that D35 is a weak link, it will force you to learn skinny pedal vs finesse. Skinny pedal and you will spend your time changing axle shafts. Use finesse and common sense and enjoy yourself.We will teach you and you will Learn grasshopper.Be one with the 35.

I say wheel what ya got and learn how to wheel first. Since that D35 is a weak link, it will force you to learn skinny pedal vs finesse. Skinny pedal and you will spend your time changing axle shafts. Use finesse and common sense and enjoy yourself.We will teach you and you will Learn grasshopper.Be one with the 35.

I am the young grasshopper..... thank you for the encouragement. I can't wait to learn the ways of y'all wise wheelers.....

@rodney eppes if he were to go lift first then axle swap to say an 8.8 he could use any number of different manufacturers bracket kit on the 8.8 and it will slide right in the place of that 35 with about nothing more than the ujoint flange adapter. Brake lines and even the ebrake cables bolted up direct. It's how it worked when I took out my 44A in my '97 ZJ.

@rodney eppes if he were to go lift first then axle swap to say an 8.8 he could use any number of different manufacturers bracket kit on the 8.8 and it will slide right in the place of that 35 with about nothing more than the ujoint flange adapter. Brake lines and even the ebrake cables bolted up direct. It's how it worked when I took out my 44A in my '97 ZJ.

If my memory serves me right, the drum brake D35 e brake will not be a direct bolt up to a disc 8.8, I used an ebrake kit for mine. If the OP has a disc D35, it may be OK (I know all the 44a were disc)

Mine does have the disc brakes. However, when I do the 8.8 axle swap I will more than likely change out the brake lines and e-brake cable for new parts since my zj sat for a long time.

Back