Need HVAC installer recomendations.

WARRIORWELDING

Owner opperator Of WarriorWelding LLC.
Just as the title states. 30 year old unit compressor shorted to housing.

Need to gut and replace as old or older oil furnace at the same time. This will be a rework/remodel.....however you want to put it.

Old, old, house. Absolutely crappy crawl space that may need accessing. I can gut it all. That's as far as my expertise gets.

Go.....

If I knew of any companies up your way I'd certainly throw you a lead.

I have used KM electrical heating and AC for some repairs. Haven't had any issues with them. Have heard good things from others on them.

I have used KM electrical heating and AC for some repairs. Haven't had any issues with them. Have heard good things from others on them.
Outta East Bend?

Call my buddy Daniel Ruiz (336-655-8641). He's out of King so I'm not sure if he travels that far but he is good and honest. Tell him Matt Mitchell sent you.

First quote almost 14,000. Good lord I didn't think it could be that bad.

How does your oil furnace work now? They are pretty simple to repair or service. I'm looking at a property now that has one. My plan is to put in goodman heatpump and keep the furnace. There is a lot of info out there on wiring thermostat for duel fuel. Have the heatpump on till 35ish degree then kick in the oil for that nice toasty heat.
If you have a Ac coil in the system already you can probably find a heatpump coil that's close to the same size. Install coil, run line-set, put compressor in location and make electrical connections. Call in a hvac pro to braze lines, check it all over, vac and charge her up. 4 Ton 14 SEER Goodman Air Conditioner with Vertical 24.5
You'll need to check out your plenum to see if it needs vertical or horizontal coil(for condensate drain) and mount coil away from furnace to keep it cooler.
Just a idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does your oil furnace work now? They are pretty simple to repair or service. I'm looking at a property now that has one. My plan is to put in goodman heatpump and keep the furnace. There is a lot of info out there on wiring thermostat for duel fuel. Have the heatpump on till 35ish degree then kick in the oil for that nice toasty heat.
If you have a Ac coil in the system already you can probably find a heatpump coil that's close to the same size. Install coil, run line-set, put compressor in location and make electrical connections. Call in a hvac pro to braze lines, check it all over, vac and charge her up. 4 Ton 14 SEER Goodman Air Conditioner with Vertical 24.5
You'll need to check out your plenum to see if it needs vertical or horizontal coil(for condensate drain) and mount coil away from furnace to keep it cooler.
Just a idea.

How does self instalation affect warrantee issues? I've contemplated doing it my self. I've got an old refrigeration liscence from doing a class training in firestrucks air systems and maintenance. Not sure if it has a experation date. Or if I could buy for a house.

How does self instalation affect warrantee issues? I've contemplated doing it my self. I've got an old refrigeration liscence from doing a class training in firestrucks air systems and maintenance. Not sure if it has a experation date. Or if I could buy for a house.

I think that website sells to public. Some manufacturers do (goodman) others won't sell without a license(trane, rheem, Bryant etc...) on the site under warranty it says to have a licensed contractor check over it and be there for start up. They can sign warranty card and you are good to go. You'll have to shop around around for a contractor to do that for you. Might have to give him a wad of cash, to do a good look over and start it up and top off the refrigerant.
Goodman catches a lot of crap cause they allow sales to the public, and some of the public installs it shitily. When it breaks people say goodman suck, but in reality the install sucked. If your ductwork is good then it's not difficult to R&R coil and set compressor outside. Run line-set. The compressors usually come pre charged for maybe 15' of line-set, so if it needs to be longer they will have to add a little 410 once it's started. Install manuals come with the new equipment.
I think they get used to customers who are paper pushers and wouldn't know which end of a hammer to hold, so they charge 14k for 3000 dollars worth of equipment and a day to install. I don't think their thinking applies to most of us on this site. Now if he quoted some 19 seer multi speed trane system that make your coffee in the morning and mows your grass....... Maybe he quoted R&R all the ductwork too. But if it's a old house you are not gonna reap the full benefits of some uber yuppy efficient system anyway.
If your oil works now, oil is great warm heat, why not use it for backup below 30* and use efficient heat pump for all the rest.
If you want another quote call B & I Heating, A/C & Electrical LLC, Air Conditioner & Furnace Repair & Service | Cleveland, NC 27013
He put in a unit for me when we lived in statesville. And came highly recommended from the manager at Ferguson's in statesville. He was very honest and fair with us. We had him put in a 2 ton upstairs unit with electric backup. All new ductwork installed in hot attic, all registers and return were cut in, they moved our downstairs outside compressor unit to a slab I poured and installed the new unit next to it. I think that all cost about 6k and they were there 3-4 days running everything. This was 2012.

The qoute was a 16 seer Trane xli or something. Basic electronis. New duct work. Air handler and new duct. It did require me to entirely remove The old system/ducts and provide as blank as slate as possible.From the qoute the related 10 and 7 year warranty from the manufacture and a year on the instal labor was nice. Our duct is not modern central air. It has mutiple registers and returns. All on outside walls. The furnace is older then the air conditioner. It is also sandwiched between the air coil and a waterstove a coil.

Space is horrible. Crawl height in several isolated rooms are down to 16 inches or less. I'm 6 foot 200 lbs and a slimmer build. Its abosolute work for me just to move around. Two access point require me to swim through because my shoulders want fit. Lentles with hand hewn logs for floor support. All supported by added braces and home made floor jacks.

Me thinks the quotes directly involve the Hellish nature of the space.

Another said without doin to much figuring 12k plus would be a starting point.

Im digging for install litterature and diy manuals now.....maybe I can redesign the duct or up grade myself....leaving the equipment as the only instal. I got to figure out some flow and returns. The current is no where near efficient. We contantly supplement the fartherest rooms with oil registers.

Btw, current Power in peak summer bumps near 400.00 If I hadn't married into this.......I'd burn the mother to the ground. I have no attachment to this ball and chain.

After your crawl space description, I'm wondering if you'd be better to have it installed in the attic, with ducts in the ceiling? My first house was nearly built on the ground, & had hot water heat [radiators]. I couldn't afford to replace the old faulty boiler, & duct work under the house, was Out of the question. I bought "self contained baseboard heaters" [New to the industry at the time], & used 2 window AC units for cool. It was a 1000 Sq Ft house though.

Out of curiosity did you call my buddy? I had qoutes like you got and he priced me around 4k for the same work.

Out of curiosity did you call my buddy? I had qoutes like you got and he priced me around 4k for the same work.
I'm gonna. I just exhausted first hand folks. People I do work with or see on a regular basis who recommend certain folks.

If they quoted you all that and the conditions are that tight, that quote might not bet that crazy. Those trane systems can get pretty pricey. Give B&I a call if you haven't already.

I got a 2 ton window unit here at the house. It's in the basement window now. If you wanna ride up to Burlington this weekend, you can borrow it the rest of the summer. You'll have to run a 240v 20A line for it but you can probably rig that up temporary. I'll be home all day Thursday or evenings if you need it sooner. Screw sitting on a hot house while you wait for estimates.

I got a 2 ton window unit here at the house. It's in the basement window now. If you wanna ride up to Burlington this weekend, you can borrow it the rest of the summer. You'll have to run a 240v 20A line for it but you can probably rig that up temporary. I'll be home all day Thursday or evenings if you need it sooner. Screw sitting on a hot house while you wait for estimates.

I appreciate that.....heck I don't spend lots of time inside. Me and the wife have nearly decided to purchase a a.c. unit only to replace the dead one. We can't rationalize spending a large chunk to gut it all when we want to build in a 5 to 7 year plan. The furnace runs fairly hard in the winter. Trying to guess how bad a heat pump will struggle gives me anxiety through the roof. Other issues relative to a 130 year old house that has been lived in and patched at has us really thinking hard.

I totally understand. Last house was 1911 this one is a 1939 model. You gotta pick your battles. Why put new windows in when there is zero insulation in the walls etc....you gotta love the old houses cause it's always a trade off.

Latest up date. Second man on site agreed to qoute replacing the compressor in the old unit. Just the compressor. Now I'm assuming some sort of flush and refrigeration change out to the modern stuff.

$3000.00

What am I missing?

I'm ready to sell about all my welding crap re enroll into a 2 year deal and do HVAC work.

I really didn't think I've become the crusty old butt hole. Am Iso far behind times that I have no clue what this should even ball park at?

1500.00 seemed like a realistic figure. 2k high.

3k. I think I know why all these folk drive service trucks nicer then anything I own.

Back