need to set post for my deck

andysleds

Need to set posts for my deck....HELP

Anyone in the Triad area that can set posts good and straight?
I am getting ready to build my deck and I need to get the posts set on a declining hill. the top 2 will only be about 2 feet tall, the backs will be about 12 feet. I am not comfortable with out the proper equipment/ knowledge and without knowing a ton about about weight ratings. After the posts are done, I can frame and finish it myself. I am guessing 6x6 is the correct size?

rbo1577186 said:
You could also pick up a book from Home Depot or lowes on deck projects.

And while there pick up some cheap help:lol:

Franklin said:
And while there pick up some cheap help:lol:

Yep, make sure to show 'em all the neat shiat in your house, then they can come get it later. Perfered time? While your at work. :flipoff2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin
And while there pick up some cheap help

Yep, make sure to show 'em all the neat shiat in your house, then they can come get it later. Perfered time? While your at work.

Please elaborate.....

You don't need a laser level. 4' level would work just fine.

Personally, I wouldn't put the posts in concrete for a deck footing. I'd cast a retainer into the footing, then set the post later. IME, the new ACQ stuff kinda sucks compared to CCA. I've got insect damage in months-old ACQ lumber. Fawking carpenter bees weren't phased by it one bit. I'd want to be able to replace boards later without having to unearth an entire footing in order to do it.

Edit: I might as well mention this while I'm at it. MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND HOW TO WORK WITH ACQ LUMBER BEFORE STARTING WORK. ACQ has a very high copper content, and can't be used in contact with any aluminum products. All of your fasteners have to be certified ACQ compliant. That typically means they are coated steel or hot-dipped galvanized fasteners. Be sure to check all of your flashing, hangers, bolts, and fasteners to be sure they are approved for use with ACQ lumber.

As for the post base, go look at the Simpson strong-tie stuff at Home Cheapo. An AB or PB post base is kinda what you're looking for. They've got a bunch of different varieties, so have a look around and find something that works.

Once the footing is cured, you just stand the post up, put a couple of braces on it, and walk it around until it's level and located where you want it. Tape measure and a level is all you need. Make sure you attach the post to the post base according to the post base manufacturer's recommendations. You should be more concerned with uplift from high winds than from bearing the weight of the structure.

As for the footing itself.... how steep is this hill? So long as it's "kinda" level.... 30* or less, it shouldn't be a big deal. Dig the hole plenty deep (2+ feet so there's less chance it walks away with the slope), and check your local codes to see what the minimum bearing area is.... then go bigger than that. Can't really go wrong.

Hell, I've got a small stoop off the back of the house that rests on 4"x8x16 solid precast concrete blocks. It's level there, and those blocks are all that code required for the load I was carrying.

rbo1577186 said:
Please elaborate.....

Caver Paraphrase =
- Find some flunkies that work for cheap
- then they'll come back afterwards (while your away) to rob you blind...
- cause they only do work that doesn't require piss tests...
- which complicates life as a crackhead! :shaking:

The hill drops 15'? over a 20'? stretch. it is very steep. that is why I think that I will have some difficulty with it. being that steep it is going to be hard for me to square everything up and so on. i think that I am going to dig the holes this sunday and try to set the main posts. I think that I can do it. I also considered taring the bottoms of the posts so help with termite/carpenter intrusion.....do you think that would help? Last, I may close it in and make into more of a screened porch. That is why I was going to cement them in. i am not a big fan of doing it, but it seemed best for this application

Caver Dave said:
Caver Paraphrase =
- Find some flunkies that work for cheap
- then they'll come back afterwards (while your away) to rob you blind...
- cause they only do work that doesn't require piss tests...
- which complicates life as a crackhead! :shaking:

Funny thing is that something very similar happened to my dad with some shmuck painter. Guy offered to paint a bunch of signs at his amusement park for a really good price. After about a week somethings started coming up missing. The guy would paint in the mornings and evenings when there were no customers in the park (and no employees either). Soon after, he disappeared. I'll never trust another person off the street again!!

Just use some cinder blocks for posts
awww.lilligren.com_Redneck_images_redneck_high_rise.jpg

:D

Back