new Durango?

bigwaylon

anybody here used a Gen II ('04+) Durango with the HEMI to tow?

when equipped with the the HEMI, the 3.92 gears and the tow package, it's rated around 8800lbs...

we're looking for something that's a decent compromise between a family vehicle and a part-time tow rig...

Greg

My wife has a 2005 hemi with the tow package

I pulled the bronco on a trailer with it to lexington from winston with no real issues....but I wouldn't consider it a TOW RIG

I SHOULD be ashamed because I don't even know what rear-end it has in it or anything about the tranny or transfer case. It is my wifes so I'm not allowed to tinker or play with anything on it, even change the tires, so I don't pay much attention....I just know she had to have exactly THAT vehicle :rolleyes:

If you're any taller than 5'-10" and over 200 lbs you'll hate driving it. The "A" pillar comes up at such a sharp angle I have to contort my body to get into the drivers seat...then when I come to a stoplight I have to lean WAY the hell over to see when the light changes. The seat won't adjust DOWN enough to see out of the smallish windows enough for me. I'd prefer to be about 3" lower to make use of the window size I DO have, but the wife has no issues. Hell, she's so petite that she sits with the seat all the way forward and up al the way, so it's perfect for her.

Killer "family wagon" though. Kids LOVE the DVD player and tv. Wife loves the hell out of the HEMI, and if they're happy..... :driver:

It sat too low in the front for me so when she wasn't looking I cranked up the front tortion bars to put some space between the tires and wheel openings :D It's the only durango that LOOKS like a 4x4 :smokin:

I would say it would make a decent vehicle to tow a 2 motorcycle enclosed trailer....but tow a car hauler with a built jeep? hmmm...probibly not, unless it was short trips

Just a FYI, I towed for about 2 years or so with a Grand Cherokee, 5.2L, auto tranny, pulling my YJ on a TOW DOLLY. I never had any issues, but alot of that depends on what you are towing.

Same exact tow dolly pulling an XJ behind a waggy (which is heavier, etc), jacknifed on the interstate when it started swaying. Various reasons for this, been hashed over on here many times.

Here are the "main" reasons you will hear why most folks prefer a 3/4 rated vehicle to tow with.

A: Transmission is really setup to handle towing, etc capacity for fluid, tranny coolers, usually bigger tranny all told. Especially if you get a manual.

B: Weight ratio between what you are pulling vs the tow vehicle. In a PANIC SITUATION, is the trailer/trail rig going to push you all over the place?

B1: regarding above, don't even THINK about a trailer with trail rig unless the trailer has properly working brakes and a brake controller in the tow rig. Prodigy is known and loved by many, hated by a few....

So that is it...those are the biggest reasons you see repeated over and over and they are right.

YES...the Durango will pull it....IF YOU put the brake controller in it, and have a decent (light as possible) trailer with brakes...but just realize you are putting alot of strain on that tranny...and don't try to accelerate up the mtns, take your time, etc.

But...A/B are both still MORE of a risk with the durango than with a Suburban 2500, Avalanche 2500, Excursion...3/4 ton trucks...etc. Towing is risky period, all of us are MORE at risk when towing than when we are not, no matter what we drive.

I personally use an Excursion, tows great, 3 rows for the family, diesel gets me 16.5mpg around town, 18ish on the hwy, and for some reason only 10-11 towing. (That is with the windshield up on the jeep, gonna try down next time) Guys on here with pickups/diesels seem to do much better mpg than me...but I think that is a weight thing since the Ex weights 8500ish lbs empty.

So there ya go...if you haven't bought the Durango yet, take a peek around, go test drive that new mega cab dodge to see if it has enough room for ya. (Or a 2500 series suburban, excursion, etc)

There is my .02 and a bit of change.

Sam H

O/T, I bet your windshield makes a huge difference... mine drops me when towing, from 13.5-14 down to 12.5-13.

Could be the aerodynamics of your SUV, with wind flow? Larry Smith is the only one I know with a topper on his truck that i could ask, but he gets like 20+ mpg when towing anything .. :D

Back