New Job for 2023

First hand, the atmosphere in your facility shows what you preach. I wish places I have frequented and worked for in the past was half as professional and just plain decent acting. What ever your sauce is it works.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that. It’s not perfect, and there’s always work to do. But it’s great getting feedback from an unbiased 3rd party that it can be seen/felt.

To be fair, that's most jobs these days :shaking:

I'm seeing that this is more and more true with the "talent" AAA is keeping on payroll.

Some fresh meat new guys did over 12K worth of damage taking roll backs off-road (getting stuck) and tearing up driveways/garage parking lots. Still on payroll.

A Tenured driver driving a wheel lift with prior wheel lift experience as a repo driver totaled a new Jag when he intentionally didn't strap the wheels. Stopped short for traffic and the Jag bounced and ran up the lift arm bombing the suspension and engine bottom end. Complete loss. Still on payroll.

Old head and very tenured roll back driver gets moved up to one of our newest roll backs A 2022 Chevy 5500 on Air bags. Nearly pops a bag overloading it and clips a tool box turning out the yard, and has been in two moving infractions with other vehicles. Trucks have less than 5K on them. Still on payroll. The new 5500s are at least 150-175K a piece fully fitted and ready to tow, we've 5.

Not to mention the numbnut drivers that can't be bothered to do a pretrip and check the oil level on known trucks with oil consumption issues. We've got at least 3 trucks at the dealership needing engines from oil starvation, and two trucks needing transmissions. Still on payroll.

It certainly is possible, and certainly not the easiest path, but possible. When I started in my current role, we had about a 30% retention rate with 30 heads, I grew that to 200 heads over 2-3 years, but still had about a 40% retention rate. Today I'm somewhere between 85-95% for the last 2 years, quarter over quarter. Keep in mind, I'm Rockwell, NC trying to do pharma/otc/med device work, and still at best a micro cap business. I can't compete with Raleigh/Charlotte wages or the big boys in the space. There were some adjustments for covid wages, but pre-covid I was lower 30% of wages and today I'm in the lower 30% of area wages, so it's normalized. As cliche as it sounds, changing the culture was my magic bullet, and when it came to recruiting, selling what we do have to offer. Biggest selling point is I'll grab someone off the line or given department and pull them in to the interview and give them a few minutes with the candidate alone. I'm told that little party trick is usually what sells it, to have the balls that a random employee is happy enough with the culture/environment that they don't leave for a job paying 50% more 30-45mins away and express that happiness. Having a bank roll certainly makes it easier. I've done turn arounds like this before with billion dollar companies, with 1,000+ heads and open checkbooks, and it takes 6 months instead of 5 years. I've come to find out, most people just want to be treated like people, have stability, have accountability, do their job and understand what's expected of them. Personally, my first hour or two every day is spent in at least one of the plants/warehouses...if that means I roll up my sleeves to help a maintenance tech, or plunge a toilet for the janitor, or picking an orders, or 'racing a work center', or just observe and ask about weekend plans/grandkids. That certainly affords a ton of loyalty and buy in to 'the vision'. One of the most frequent 'thank you's' I get though, is carving out cancerous and apathetic employees. I don't care if you've been here a day or a decade, you get one warning to get on board. I figure if employees can show up, with a good attitude, I can teach them the rest.

Edit...but if you're specifically talking feds...yeah, we're fawked there.

Double edit...as an example, I recruited a robotics maintenance engineer away from a role he was making $200k at, I was only offering $100k. But it was an easier way of life for him to come to me and my people reinforced that to him. Well, his employer countered and bumped him to $250k and promised an improved work/life balance. So he stayed. Just got a call from him after 6 months saying he made a mistake. His start date is March 6th.
I will agree with this 100%. I figured out chasing money wasn't gonna make me happy. Found a place with a good work culture and work life balance and it makes everything easier

Double edit...as an example, I recruited a robotics maintenance engineer away from a role he was making $200k at, I was only offering $100k. But it was an easier way of life for him to come to me and my people reinforced that to him. Well, his employer countered and bumped him to $250k and promised an improved work/life balance. So he stayed. Just got a call from him after 6 months saying he made a mistake. His start date is March 6th.

I have never seen a place where they offer you more money to stay, and dont expect to get that money back out of you.

Please tell me in the last XX yrs that the govco has given its employees a COLA raise commensurate with the national average. After 20 yrs in the service and seeing (not seeing) it, I’ll wait….
Nope, can't... the 14 years I've been here, every year COLA has ben lower than inflation and commensurate salary change. The last few years have been especially bad.
Congress is not included in this conversation …..
The COLA rate is set by Congress in the annual funding bill. For Feds and Army - and the min pay for contractors.

Nope, can't... the 14 years I've been here, every year COLA has ben lower than inflation and commensurate salary change. The last few years have been especially bad.

The COLA rate is set by Congress in the annual funding bill. For Feds and Army - and the min pay for contractors.
Yep, best raise I had was under the bad orange man. This year the raise for vets VA bennys was pretty good but that’s a hold over long term plan emplaced by that same Orange heathen.
My comment on Congress was just stating how it’s convenient they vote themselves raises without contestation but the rest of us Poors are at their “kindness” of spending the taxpayers dollhairs.

Yep, best raise I had was under the bad orange man. This year the raise for vets VA bennys was pretty good but that’s a hold over long term plan emplaced by that same Orange heathen.
My comment on Congress was just stating how it’s convenient they vote themselves raises without contestation but the rest of us Poors are at their “kindness” of spending the taxpayers dollhairs.
Acktualllly... Congressional pay has been frozen since 2009.

And while that may be perfectly fine with most of us, it's creating a real problem in the gov S&T community because there's a rule that no GS employee can make more than them. So no matter your value to the American people, even the guy whose job is to curtail costs and cut things by millions or the a guy holding very important TS secrets, is all capped the same.

Not me. I got what a bunch of other assholes voted for.

They should owe the rest of us reparations.
Your job (and mine) is to talk and educate those people.

Just the other day I was speaking with someone about the Ukraine nonsense. They asked 'where does all that money come from' with 100% sincerity. They had no idea...they watch stupid TikTok vids and have no interest in understanding where there taxes go. There are MILLIONS that have 0 idea of what really goes on. All we can do is educate.

While we are talking about jobs; Anyone hiring for a work from home for the wife? She has worked in office, customer service and the printing industry for over 10 years.

Saying that the government is taking $100 billion from you and sending $100 billion to another country so there social security program stays solvent is not political. It's facts. Don't be a douche, just state facts.

Back