New Job for 2023

I went to my boss last week and asked for a raise.

First time ever doing that.

We'll see how it pans out. But I'm open for employment opportunities. Anyone need a Supply Chain Manager?
We desperately need a supply chain manager, problem is, we have to get rid of the waste of space we have first.

I went to my boss last week and asked for a raise.

First time ever doing that.

We'll see how it pans out. But I'm open for employment opportunities. Anyone need a Supply Chain Manager?
Hope you asked like the guy I work with. He asked for his own office, new truck, more money and less work.....

We have the same Job and I've only been there 8 months but they have shifted alot of the larger projects to me.

Hope you asked like the guy I work with. He asked for his own office, new truck, more money and less work.....

We have the same Job and I've only been there 8 months but they have shifted alot of the larger projects to me.
Thinking about it.... now might be one of the better times to ask for a raise/benefits/perks for retention efforts. There's alot more knee bending to avoid the revolving door of hiring someone, training them, and them leaving for a different job shortly afterwards.

I've been on second shift going on a year with AAA from noonish to 9-10pm with OT and was told when I was hired that 1st shift was reserved for tenured drivers (5-6am to 1-2pm); some new girl driving a rollback that doesn't get a third of the work done or O-sat metrics that I do got moved to first shift from second because she was ready to hand in her two week notice. She's been here less than a year.

Well, I'll find out next month I suppose when it's annual raise time.

But considering our CEO just gave the 'State of the Company' and stock fell 11% within the first five minutes, I'd say I'll be lucky to get a cost of living adjustment this year.

Well, I'll find out next month I suppose when it's annual raise time.

But considering our CEO just gave the 'State of the Company' and stock fell 11% within the first five minutes, I'd say I'll be lucky to get a cost of living adjustment this year.
Inflation was 6.4% over the past year. Anything less than that is a pay cut.

Thinking about it.... now might be one of the better times to ask for a raise/benefits/perks for retention efforts. There's alot more knee bending to avoid the revolving door of hiring someone, training them, and them leaving for a different job shortly afterwards.

I've been on second shift going on a year with AAA from noonish to 9-10pm with OT and was told when I was hired that 1st shift was reserved for tenured drivers (5-6am to 1-2pm); some new girl driving a rollback that doesn't get a third of the work done or O-sat metrics that I do got moved to first shift from second because she was ready to hand in her two week notice. She's been here less than a year.
Thought id update how it went for him. His last day is friday. He shot his shot and bluffed and they called it on him then fired him. He doesn't have another job lined up either. sucks to be him and now kinda sucks to be me, i took over all of him jobs until a new guy is hired and trained up.

Thought id update how it went for him. His last day is friday. He shot his shot and bluffed and they called it on him then fired him. He doesn't have another job lined up either. sucks to be him and now kinda sucks to be me, i took over all of him jobs until a new guy is hired and trained up.
Sounds like it IS your time to be asking for that raise, or even a temporary bonus. :laughing: Better be careful at how well you maintain that workload or they may realize they don't need that new guy after all

Tell that to Congress, who thought 4.1% was good enough for Feds.
It is. Most feds workers are already overpaid due to GS Locality Pay. You Marry-landers are getting like 35% extra already. :flipoff2:

It is. Most feds workers are already overpaid due to GS Locality Pay. You Marry-landers are getting like 35% extra already. :flipoff2:
You clearly suck at understanding what "local cost of living" and "paying competitive rates so you don't have the dumbest kid in the class designing missiles and handling state secrets" means.

Unfireable
FYI thats changing. The rules for what it takes to fire somebody have relaxed a good bit, and a lot of places - like here - are going to a term system where you have to be actively renewed every X years to stay on.

You clearly suck at understanding what "local cost of living" and "paying competitive rates so you don't have the dumbest kid in the class designing missiles and handling state secrets" means.
When the highest paid person in the bunch fails at the above, it doesn't inspire confidence in the rest of ya! :p

When the highest paid person in the bunch fails at the above, it doesn't inspire confidence in the rest of ya! :p
You're right. The fix is to get better people. How do you suppose that happens?

I'd love to hear your proposals.
Seriously... this is a real problem.
I don't think you would like my answer ;)

But the short answer is this isn't a federal government issue.

I'd love to hear your proposals.
Seriously... this is a real problem.

It certainly is possible, and certainly not the easiest path, but possible. When I started in my current role, we had about a 30% retention rate with 30 heads, I grew that to 200 heads over 2-3 years, but still had about a 40% retention rate. Today I'm somewhere between 85-95% for the last 2 years, quarter over quarter. Keep in mind, I'm Rockwell, NC trying to do pharma/otc/med device work, and still at best a micro cap business. I can't compete with Raleigh/Charlotte wages or the big boys in the space. There were some adjustments for covid wages, but pre-covid I was lower 30% of wages and today I'm in the lower 30% of area wages, so it's normalized. As cliche as it sounds, changing the culture was my magic bullet, and when it came to recruiting, selling what we do have to offer. Biggest selling point is I'll grab someone off the line or given department and pull them in to the interview and give them a few minutes with the candidate alone. I'm told that little party trick is usually what sells it, to have the balls that a random employee is happy enough with the culture/environment that they don't leave for a job paying 50% more 30-45mins away and express that happiness. Having a bank roll certainly makes it easier. I've done turn arounds like this before with billion dollar companies, with 1,000+ heads and open checkbooks, and it takes 6 months instead of 5 years. I've come to find out, most people just want to be treated like people, have stability, have accountability, do their job and understand what's expected of them. Personally, my first hour or two every day is spent in at least one of the plants/warehouses...if that means I roll up my sleeves to help a maintenance tech, or plunge a toilet for the janitor, or picking an orders, or 'racing a work center', or just observe and ask about weekend plans/grandkids. That certainly affords a ton of loyalty and buy in to 'the vision'. One of the most frequent 'thank you's' I get though, is carving out cancerous and apathetic employees. I don't care if you've been here a day or a decade, you get one warning to get on board. I figure if employees can show up, with a good attitude, I can teach them the rest.

Edit...but if you're specifically talking feds...yeah, we're fawked there.

Double edit...as an example, I recruited a robotics maintenance engineer away from a role he was making $200k at, I was only offering $100k. But it was an easier way of life for him to come to me and my people reinforced that to him. Well, his employer countered and bumped him to $250k and promised an improved work/life balance. So he stayed. Just got a call from him after 6 months saying he made a mistake. His start date is March 6th.

Last edited:
Tell that to Congress, who thought 4.1% was good enough for Feds.
Please tell me in the last XX yrs that the govco has given its employees a COLA raise commensurate with the national average. After 20 yrs in the service and seeing (not seeing) it, I’ll wait….

Congress is not included in this conversation …..

Sounds like it IS your time to be asking for that raise, or even a temporary bonus. :laughing: Better be careful at how well you maintain that workload or they may realize they don't need that new guy after all
My yearly review is tomorrow. So we will see. But they are not stupid they already had interviewed someone else for the same position as me. I told my boss I could hold it together for a couple months to train someone up but I couldn't do it long term

It certainly is possible, and certainly not the easiest path, but possible. When I started in my current role, we had about a 30% retention rate with 30 heads, I grew that to 200 heads over 2-3 years, but still had about a 40% retention rate. Today I'm somewhere between 85-95% for the last 2 years, quarter over quarter. Keep in mind, I'm Rockwell, NC trying to do pharma/otc/med device work, and still at best a micro cap business. I can't compete with Raleigh/Charlotte wages or the big boys in the space. There were some adjustments for covid wages, but pre-covid I was lower 30% of wages and today I'm in the lower 30% of area wages, so it's normalized. As cliche as it sounds, changing the culture was my magic bullet, and when it came to recruiting, selling what we do have to offer. Biggest selling point is I'll grab someone off the line or given department and pull them in to the interview and give them a few minutes with the candidate alone. I'm told that little party trick is usually what sells it, to have the balls that a random employee is happy enough with the culture/environment that they don't leave for a job paying 50% more 30-45mins away and express that happiness. Having a bank roll certainly makes it easier. I've done turn arounds like this before with billion dollar companies, with 1,000+ heads and open checkbooks, and it takes 6 months instead of 5 years. I've come to find out, most people just want to be treated like people, have stability, have accountability, do their job and understand what's expected of them. Personally, my first hour or two every day is spent in at least one of the plants/warehouses...if that means I roll up my sleeves to help a maintenance tech, or plunge a toilet for the janitor, or picking an orders, or 'racing a work center', or just observe and ask about weekend plans/grandkids. That certainly affords a ton of loyalty and buy in to 'the vision'. One of the most frequent 'thank you's' I get though, is carving out cancerous and apathetic employees. I don't care if you've been here a day or a decade, you get one warning to get on board. I figure if employees can show up, with a good attitude, I can teach them the rest.

Edit...but if you're specifically talking feds...yeah, we're fawked there.

Double edit...as an example, I recruited a robotics maintenance engineer away from a role he was making $200k at, I was only offering $100k. But it was an easier way of life for him to come to me and my people reinforced that to him. Well, his employer countered and bumped him to $250k and promised an improved work/life balance. So he stayed. Just got a call from him after 6 months saying he made a mistake. His start date is March 6th.
First hand, the atmosphere in your facility shows what you preach. I wish places I have frequented and worked for in the past was half as professional and just plain decent acting. What ever your sauce is it works.

Back