New Tires--input requested

ProjekTJ

I'm about to move up in tire size to a 35". Currently I'm running 33" MTRs. This is my second set of these and I've decided to possibly move on to something else. I wheel my TJ about 2-3 times a month between April and December and then maybe once a month in the winter months. It sees a good bit of road time currently, I drive to and from the trails and around town during the week. Currently it is my DD but I'm in the process of finding some kind of Honda to cruise daily. So it will retire to my trail vehicle/occassional pavement pounder.
My main reason for leaving the MTRs is that they don't clean out wheel enough for our regions terrain. I've been looking at BFG MTs, Interco TrXus, Procomp's MT...and I'm still dancing around the idea of MTRs because of the great sidewall and treadlife.

Help me out here. I'd like to hear from all points of view.

Thanks... :beer:

I've had BFG A/T's and BFG M/T's and I got the same amount of miles out of both sets believe it or not. The M/T's are a little annoying on the highway but do pretty well on the trails. Of course if Uwharrie is as muddy as its been lately your tires are gonna be muddy drag slicks regardless.

if your getting a dd anyway, get some TSLs. by far the best tire i have run around here for muddy east coast wheeling. not mud bogging, but just dealing with the sloppy shit we have here. i have had MTRs, BFG AT's, TSL radials and Bias TSLs, and the TSLs are by far the best i have run. my only complaint is tread life, but you have to just suck it up and maybe run 2 sets of tires if your going to DD the tj still. good luck on what ever you do.

To me they are worn, but to some they would have a good bit of tread. Are you interested in them?
Mainly I'm just wanting to move up to 35"s and they are worn enough for me to justify it to myself. :D

Anybody have any thoughts about the Trxus M/T? Price doesn't seem to bad, but I haven't called around to really check it out.

Who has the best tire prices around here? (NC)
Right now Sam's Club is the cheapest...(BFG M/Ts $772.94 mounted & balanced)

Galloway's had decent prices on the Truxus line as I recall...and I'm sure you could sell your MT/R's as trade if you wanted.

I'm on my second set of BFG KM M/Ts. I ran the 33s, now I run 35s. For a street/off-road tire, they're hard to beat. They're also very good in the mud. That being said, they have relatively thin sidewalls. I've cut two sidewalls on mine, once at Uwharrie, once at Tellico.

I also love the Swampers as an off-road tire. They're excellent in mud and tough with the rocks. My compromise has been to run two sets of tires/rims. I have Swamper SXs for off-road use and I run the KMs as my "street" tire.

I've also looked at the Trxus M/Ts and will likely look seriously at them when my wife decides to go bigger on her Jeep. The only drawback I've heard with them is they don't get the same tire life as the BFGs, but they're also cheaper.

Jeff

I had Interco TrXus' on my Tundra. It was a daily driver and only off road about once per month. I put 18k miles on the tires and they still had at least half the tread left when I sold the Tundra. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they're one of the few MT's siped from the factory, which is a definite benefit when using them on a DD. Also, they're aren't very loud on pavement for being a MT tire. Smooth and straight for a MT. Good luck.

~S

I had a set of trxus M/Ts for about 10K miles on my dodge and they were great all around. Still looked new when I got rid of them.

I'd go with TSL's Once you experience a set of 'em you will be amazed. I had mine on at Dutch John and made it further than a rear locked jeep with bfg mud terrain similar tires on. The sidelugs are amazing.

They have been around for so long for a reason.... -Josh

Well, it's now been narrowed to either the Truxus MT or back to the ole' MTR. I think I'll be on the road to much to run a TSL, which is what I'd prefer. Unless someone has a set of 33-35" ATs they'd like to sell me with wheels!

ProjekTJ said:
Well, it's now been narrowed to either the Truxus MT or back to the ole' MTR. I think I'll be on the road to much to run a TSL, which is what I'd prefer. Unless someone has a set of 33-35" ATs they'd like to sell me with wheels!
I'm just worried that I'd have issues with the BFG sidewall. Heard/seen to many bad things.

I've got the 34" truxus (because I was geared at 3.55 at the time, and didn't wanna go with the full on 35's)

They are AWESOME!!!!!!!!

I can't hear them at ALL on the road....even at 70

They grip like crazy offroad too.

I'll buy either 35" next time or step up to 36 Iroks (I have 4.88 gearing now)

BTW I paid $700 even for them at galloways (pad ballancing ROCKS)...actually $450 cash, because I traded a set of bald ass 33's and 16x10 eagle alum's in too

I've been calling tire distributors the past couple of days. It's amazing the differences in prices on the same tire from place to place.

Most recently Galloways wants $923 mounted & balance for 35" Truxus.
4WheelParts wants over $1200 for MTRs in the same flavor.

Somtimes I can't help but let out a little chuckle when they give me the prices. Anybody know of any distributors that aren't interested in ramming it up my south end brewery?

:beer:

trxus

i also had a set of trxus mt's on my toyota tacoma. they are the best tire i have ever run, way better,stronger, quieter, and better looking than the bfg mt's i used to have. if i were you i would seriously consider them. also fyi i had a chance to use them in a snow and ice storm last year, i couldnt get them to spin in 4wd. :flipoff2:

Kevin Lawler said:
What size?

33x12.5 but i just sold them

wolfpack offroad said:
I'd go with TSL's Once you experience a set of 'em you will be amazed. I had mine on at Dutch John and made it further than a rear locked jeep with bfg mud terrain similar tires on. The sidelugs are amazing.

u dont need a locker for that hill climb......u need the skinny pedal

got4-lo said:
u dont need a locker for that hill climb......u need the skinny pedal

Tell that to everyone that went to opening weekend. I didn't go to the hillclimb because I didn't feel like having to turn around if I didn't make it, from what I hear lots of people didn't make it up, locked or not.

Tacoma747 said:
Tell that to everyone that went to opening weekend. I didn't go to the hillclimb because I didn't feel like having to turn around if I didn't make it, from what I hear lots of people didn't make it up, locked or not.

a few guys that i know made it up, one was open and the other has arb's and im sure he had the unlocked most of the day

got4-lo said:
a few guys that i know made it up, one was open and the other has arb's and im sure he had the unlocked most of the day

If you go fast enough then anyone can make it, and I am sure they weren't going slow... Lets be quiet before the mods get on us for chit chat :)

Back