New to me Van continued

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
Well I know some of you have read and seen the van I bought to tow with. 3/4 ton 78 Ford van with a 460/C-6 combo with a Dana 60 rear.

I had a gremlin, found it

Towed to URE this past weekend, towed great, no issues while running down or back. Good power, decent MPG's . I got 9MPG. About the same or better than with my J truck. I held the speed limit or lil better the whole way.

Happy with the choice as of now

true, already had it to Harland, but with the Gremlin working. Think I have a handle on that, at least what i need to do when it does it. It towed pretty good up there, only issue was old fort Mnt, and I was still faster up it than I was in the J-truck, and triple as fast as the bus!

sounds good...

like the F-250 I (and previously BRUISER) had with the 7.5L...if you can afford the gas, it'll haul it...:D

Greg

Was pretty happy with it. I towed down with a friend of mine. He has a F-350 2WD same engine, trans, heavier dually, about the same rig weight, maybe a lighter trailer. I took me 13 gallons to tow down, took him 26.1 so he has some issues to work out.
Twice in the J-truck, I have run out of gas. Once going to URE, and once going to KC4X4 house. about the same as far as distance. I am thinking they are both 18 gallon tanks. AMCJEEPMAN would probably know the capacity of my J truck.
But with two tanks, and I never used the AUX tank it made it with a 1/4 tank left. so I would defiantly say it was cheaper than my Jeep truck to tow, and much faster esp on the hills

The J-truck should have an 18 gallon tank, which means about a 200 mile range empty and every possible gas station (with a big ass gas can just in case) while towing!

9 MPG seems crazy, until you count how much money other folks got into their new tow rigs. You've only got maintenance costs, insurance (should be dirt cheap) and gas. While other have monthly payments $$$$, much higher insurance, and a greatly depreciating asset. Along with the same maintenance costs, but get twice the MPG.

9 MPG seems crazy, until you count how much money other folks got into their new tow rigs. You've only got maintenance costs, insurance (should be dirt cheap) and gas. While other have monthly payments $$$$, much higher insurance, and a greatly depreciating asset. Along with the same maintenance costs, but get twice the MPG.

Kinda the way I see it too. Yes, I would love to own a new tow rig. Nice CTD! But been living without debt for so long, I cringe at the thought of ever owing another bank

This is why I still have my good ol' gas burner it only gets 8-9 towing empty it jumps all the way up to 10-11 but I aint got $50,000 in it. I'm a poor boy and only put about 2,000 miles a year on the truck so there aint no way I can justify buying a new one to save fuel.

Kinda the way I see it too. Yes, I would love to own a new tow rig. Nice CTD! But been living without debt for so long, I cringe at the thought of ever owing another bank

that was my thought...until I got 4.5MPG in the 460 towing to Tellico one time (mileage was only checked between two stations in the mountains...100% hill climbing)...at almost 10MPG, you can buy a LOT of gas to cover the difference in your van and a $20K+ diesel...

so, I sold the Ford gasser...made $700 off of it after having it two months...and spent $3500 on a '89 CTD dually...that in bone stock form got ~13MPG towing the Ford from Charlotte to Louisville to the seller...

:D

granted, and '06 CTD would be nice...but mine gets the job done...and I think Ken likes his, too...

Greg

that was my thought...until I got 4.5MPG in the 460 towing to Tellico one time (mileage was only checked between two stations in the mountains...100% hill climbing)...at almost 10MPG, you can buy a LOT of gas to cover the difference in your van and a $20K+ diesel...
so, I sold the Ford gasser...made $700 off of it after having it two months...and spent $3500 on a '89 CTD dually...that in bone stock form got ~13MPG towing the Ford from Charlotte to Louisville to the seller...
:D
granted, and '06 CTD would be nice...but mine gets the job done...and I think Ken likes his, too...
Greg

Yup I did Love my Damn CTD until this Injection pump problem I am having..

It has been 4 weeks and I still can not get it to fire...

BUt damn when it runs it runs great :)
I am getting around 20mpg around town and when towing last time to Nashville we got ( i think it was like 13 or more) and we were holding between 65 and 70 most of the way and 55 up black mountain

Here's how I figure it

Say 500 miles a month(used for wheeling only)

460 using 62.5 gallons at 8mpg @ $2.59 a gallon = $162

CTD using 28 gallons @ 18mpg @ $2.85 a gallon = $80

Double the cost in fuel, but, no payment

Here's how I figure it
Say 500 miles a month(used for wheeling only)
460 using 62.5 gallons at 8mpg @ $2.59 a gallon = $162
CTD using 28 gallons @ 18mpg @ $2.85 a gallon = $80
Double the cost in fuel, but, no payment

SOme of us Don't have payments :) on our CTD's

Back