New truck questions yet again

Blaze

The Jeeper Reaper
This time I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger. I need a half decent truck. My current fleet of vehicles doesn't really work for what we need and there is no point in having three vehicles that pretty much can be combined into one. I don't really need the 2016 Expedition any more. We never drive it and we have way too much invested in it to just let it sit. The 2003 F250 we use for towing, but it has a lot of miles and it just started building pressure in the cooling system so I know that's a fix that I don't want to get into. The 88 GMC is 5.3L/T56 swapped and is pretty useless other than being super fun and hauling small parts. So we're going to probably sell all three and try and get into a good truck that will last us a while.

I don't particularly NEED a 3/4 ton truck, our camper has about a 5k dry weight but obviously we load it down. The Expedition towed it just fine. I haul cars on my car trailer when I need to, so that's a need as well. Probably a few times a month.

Problem is with a half ton is that to get a crew cab, which we need, you get a derpy little bed. At least in the GM trucks. Ford is kinda out because after my last two Fords I am throwing in the towel. Dodge is........Dodge and I'm kinda out on those.

So my options are a 3/4 ton GM truck, a Tundra or a Titan. Titan and Tundra would be cheaper from the looks of it, and probably more reliable.

I'll be honest.....I am seriously leaning towards a newer Titan with the gas engine. My buddy had one for a work truck and their company had a fleet of them and never had an issues at all. And they really used them hard.

Anyone have any experience with them?

two guys ive worked with have "newer" titans with the gas motors and like them. I recently just got a 2019 xd with the diesel motor and i like it so far. The trucks have nice features for the price point and they ride well.

My Son-in-law has a 2wd V8 titan 4 door for a company truck. It's a 2018 and is not the top of the line, but certainly not a work truck.

My HOPE was he could pull my car hauler trailer (lighter weight 19ft steel deck) with the TJ on it and I pull the buggy on my buggy trailer with the burb. But that titan simply doesn't have enough ass to pull the Jeep at anything over 60mph. (45 up Fancy Gap) so that's why I sold the dumptruck and got a Silverado 4 door with the 8.1

And to be fair...my 8.1 got roughly the same mileage as his titan when towing.

Something that has seriously impressed me is Alan's F150's. He's had 2 now with the ecoboost. Both were not only able to tow his jeep effortlessly, but he passed up going up fancy gap like we were sitting still. And we were doing 65 :eek:
Granted he DOES have a 5.5 bed, but they still can come with the 6.5 bed. But he also got 15-18 mph while towing (25 on trips not towing)

My Son-in-law has a 2wd V8 titan 4 door for a company truck. It's a 2018 and is not the top of the line, but certainly not a work truck.

My HOPE was he could pull my car hauler trailer (lighter weight 19ft steel deck) with the TJ on it and I pull the buggy on my buggy trailer with the burb. But that titan simply doesn't have enough ass to pull the Jeep at anything over 60mph. (45 up Fancy Gap) so that's why I sold the dumptruck and got a Silverado 4 door with the 8.1

And to be fair...my 8.1 got roughly the same mileage as his titan when towing.

Something that has seriously impressed me is Alan's F150's. He's had 2 now with the ecoboost. Both were not only able to tow his jeep effortlessly, but he passed up going up fancy gap like we were sitting still. And we were doing 65 :eek:
Granted he DOES have a 5.5 bed, but they still can come with the 6.5 bed. But he also got 15-18 mph while towing (25 on trips not towing)
My 2016 Ecoboost Expedition tows amazing. But I've also had to replace the transmission, downpipes, turbos and cracked exhaust manifolds. Someone is going to get a really damn nice truck when I sell this one because I've literally replaced everything with good quality or upgraded parts. But I'm done with it now, and I'm not replacing it with another Ford. After putting $10k in parts alone into this thing last year, I'll let someone else enjoy my hard work.

Also surprising what you said about the Titan towing, too. We've towed a few times with my buddy's old work Titan and it never had any issues with my wood deck 16ft trailer with Trans Ams or Firebirds on it.

Who has it now?
Still at my Barndo right now. But the guy that built my barndo gave me a check. He also owns my old YJ, and CJ. He's going to use it at his mountain house.
. After putting $10k in parts alone into this thing last year, I'll let someone else enjoy my hard work.

On a much smaller scale, that's where I was with the Dumptruck. Fuel pump relay shit the bed, took out the fuel pump, fouled all 8 cylinders and fried the distributor. It wasn't $10k but it was 1/2 the value of the truck itself to get it running again. Of course, now it runs better than it ever has and I've sold it :shaking:. But I understand the frustration and hand washing. Also as someone who's owned a 6.blow I'll never own another diesel. Cummings or not, they all have their $10k (or sometimes $20k...sorry PT) problems. Then there's lucky bastards that own 4 or 5 and never have a single issue.

I assume a "derpy bed" is a 5.5ft bed. You can get a 6.5ft standard bed in a Silverado or Sierra 1500. Am I missing something?

It sounds like you've written Fords off, but I'll mirror Troy's comments about the F150s. I have a 2016 Lariat with the 5.0L and the 6 speed. I bought it with 20k miles on it and it has 105k on it now. I have daily driven it for the past 5 years and it has been my only tow rig until last year. I've towed my buggy all over the east coast with a fully loaded (5.5') bed, and that truck hauls serious ass. It pulls a lot harder than my 99 7.3L Powerstroke - Not a fair comparison, I know, but the point is my 150 brings the heat with a trailer behind it. It'll hold 75-80 going up Fancy Gap without breaking a sweat. Most importantly though, it has been the most reliable truck I've ever had. It's also the newest and nicest truck I've ever had. I stay on top of maintenance as recommended by the dealership, and it has given me exactly 0 problems.

I assume a "derpy bed" is a 5.5ft bed. You can get a 6.5ft standard bed in a Silverado or Sierra 1500. Am I missing something?
I thought in crew cab you could only get the 5.5ft bed? I also don't want DOD or a half ton GM transmission.

It sounds like you've written Fords off, but I'll mirror Troy's comments about the F150s. I have a 2016 Lariat with the 5.0L and the 6 speed. I bought it with 20k miles on it and it has 105k on it now. I have daily driven it for the past 5 years and it has been my only tow rig until last year. I've towed my buggy all over the east coast with a fully loaded (5.5') bed, and that truck hauls serious ass. It pulls a lot harder than my 99 7.3L Powerstroke - Not a fair comparison, I know, but the point is my 150 brings the heat with a trailer behind it. It'll hold 75-80 going up Fancy Gap without breaking a sweat. Most importantly though, it has been the most reliable truck I've ever had. It's also the newest and nicest truck I've ever had. I stay on top of maintenance as recommended by the dealership, and it has given me exactly 0 problems.
I will seriously never own another Ford. I've been a GM-only guy my whole life and decided to branch out on my last two. I bought a 6.0L F250 that had it's share of problems, but I bought it cheap and knew I was buying a 6.0L so wasn't upset. :lol: I absolutely love the truck so when I went looking for a new SUV it was between the Tahoe and the Expy and I liked the Ford so much more than the Tahoe so I went that route. Most I ever paid for a vehicle and in the last year it's also the most I ever spent on a vehicle to repair. I am absolutely done with Fords. Granted, I spent more than I probably could have because everything I installed I did upgraded or stronger stuff but still.....WTF Ford.

I thought in crew cab you could only get the 5.5ft bed? I also don't want DOD or a half ton GM transmission.
Nah, there's plenty of 6.5ft bed crewcabs. Just look at the distance from the fenderwell to the cab. If its about the same as the fenderwell to the tailgate, it's a 6.5ft bed.
1711550058236.png

1711550107767.png

I know nothing, but I've heard some negative reviews about the new Tundra. If you go Tundra, go with the latest lowest mileage one you can find of the previous generation (2021 and older I think). It seems like they have an extremely good reputation for durability and reliability and also at ton of power.

a 6.5ft standard bed in a Silverado or Sierra 1500. Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing the fact that an standard bed is 8'. :flipoff2:

Yes, you are missing the fact that an standard bed is 8'. :flipoff2:
Ah, so that's why they call it a "long bed" :flipoff2:

Clearly you are from the time when trucks were only used as trucks.

Nah, there's plenty of 6.5ft bed crewcabs. Just look at the distance from the fenderwell to the cab. If its about the same as the fenderwell to the tailgate, it's a 6.5ft bed.
View attachment 414877
View attachment 414878
I guess I haven't looked much since I expanded my search beyond cheap ass trucks. :lol:

Still get the DOD and half ton transmissions, which I am not crazy about.

I'll probably have an LB7 powered (2002 specifically) crew cab short bed until I die. Or I wreck another one.

If I EVER get another truck...I "might" spring for a 2015 or 2016 LML CCSB. That would be it though. They're stronggg and comfortable and quiet. Pretty awesome fuel mileage as well.

I want nothing to do with anything that has a 10 speed.

Clearly you are from the time when trucks were only used as trucks.
Related note: riding alongside a late model GM half ton the other day. Bed sides are higher off the ground than you are tall, hood is nearly as bad. No wonder they have ladders built into the tailgates. Fucking useless as a truck.

Related note: riding alongside a late model GM half ton the other day. Bed sides are higher off the ground than you are tall, hood is nearly as bad. No wonder they have ladders built into the tailgates. Fucking useless as a truck.
My buddy (who used to have the Titan as a work truck) has a new Chevy as his current work truck at his new company. It has already been in and out of the shop and currently needs a new transmission. Under warranty at least, but still....wtf GM. It is a pain to get stuff over the rails and the tailgate isn't as wide as the old one so some of his old equipment he can't get in and out of this truck like he did his old one. So stupid.

A vote for a Tundra. I have an 07 with 235k on it. Hauls my willys, boats, etc etc. No issues with power or stopping ability. Normal maintenance items. Only downside is gas mileage.

My buddy (who used to have the Titan as a work truck) has a new Chevy as his current work truck at his new company. It has already been in and out of the shop and currently needs a new transmission. Under warranty at least, but still....wtf GM. It is a pain to get stuff over the rails and the tailgate isn't as wide as the old one so some of his old equipment he can't get in and out of this truck like he did his old one. So stupid.
At least he didn't have to buy any $5k Ford tail lamp housings.

A vote for a Tundra. I have an 07 with 235k on it. Hauls my willys, boats, etc etc. No issues with power or stopping ability. Normal maintenance items. Only downside is gas mileage.
man i hated my 07 tundra. it needed more gears in the transmission it was always searching up and down pulling around here.

Back