Nissan Titan 5.0 Cummins

I have owned about every brand of pick up. One was an older Titan. It is at the bottom of my list of trucks. Best I can describe is a "Big Lots" version of a Toyota. I didn't have any issues with it other than terrible fuel econ, I just didn't care for the truck.

I sold my regular Titan pro-4x a couple months ago. Actually really liked it. It reminded me of what trucks used to be before they became soft riding luxury cars.
My only small diesel was the baby duramax in a GMC Sierra 1500. Great mpg for a truck (was getting low 20s around town, upper 20s on road trips) but cashed out when covid craziness hits. I wouldn't pay what they get for them now....

well i already think that your judgement is questionable since you traded with smitty

I made out pretty good on that deal. I can't complain.

A buddy of mine that doesn't post on here has had a 2016 XD Cummins since it was about a year old. A litany of issues, both engine and otherwise, with the truck. It "feels" powerful and can pull really well but he hates it and wants something older and more reliable (read, less emissions and electronics crap.) He is a Nissan fan through and through (and had an older gas Titan before this one). Given that the Cummins barely tows more than the 5.6L Endurance if you were to get one get the gasser it is proven very reliable (although as noted above, not terribly thrifty). That VK engine block design has a lot of years on it (officially dates to 2002 Q45, before the Titan came out in 2004, but heritage is the VH series prior to that.) NISMO raced the VK block so it is pretty indestructible.

A buddy of mine that doesn't post on here has had a 2016 XD Cummins since it was about a year old. A litany of issues, both engine and otherwise, with the truck. It "feels" powerful and can pull really well but he hates it and wants something older and more reliable (read, less emissions and electronics crap.) He is a Nissan fan through and through (and had an older gas Titan before this one). Given that the Cummins barely tows more than the 5.6L Endurance if you were to get one get the gasser it is proven very reliable (although as noted above, not terribly thrifty). That VK engine block design has a lot of years on it (officially dates to 2002 Q45, before the Titan came out in 2004, but heritage is the VH series prior to that.) NISMO raced the VK block so it is pretty indestructible.
That's crazy. I didn't know there was such thing as a Nissan fanboi. I guess folks will latch on to anything. Gonna have kia and Hyundai diehards one day too. Weird

I’ve owned 3 Nissans.
97 extended cab 4 banger 4x4. Poor man’s Toyota. It sucked.
05 Altima. Wife’s grandmother’s car. Got for free basically when she passed. It’ll be my daughter’s car come next year. Always some kind of ankle biter wrong with it. Chased a vacuum leak forever, needs struts, on and on. The dash is cracking and the transmission doesn’t shift the way I feel it should.
Wife has a 15 Rogue. Drove a loaner for about 6 months while it was being fixed under warranty if that tells you anything. It rattles, transmission shifts at weird points, finish on all of them are doodoo.

Would not bang a Nissan again, Lord willing.

They are also more expensive to insure because of their standard clientele and market base

My 2015 Nissan Versa Note efficiently carried two mini buckets in the back and never broke down 🤷‍♂️ . Tell’em @jeepinmatt! Nissan FTW?

And it is still being put to work!

versa.jpg

My 2015 Nissan Versa Note efficiently carried two mini buckets in the back and never broke down 🤷‍♂️ . Tell’em @jeepinmatt! Nissan FTW?
I was pretty impressed with the ol Versa, especially it’s front wheel fury launches, haha. But I’d say hauling two 200lb excavator buckets in the back had to be near the top of the list! That little sucker hauled a lot of shit, took a lot of shit, and heard a lot of shit during its tenure in the CLT! :laughing:

That's crazy. I didn't know there was such thing as a Nissan fanboi. I guess folks will latch on to anything. Gonna have kia and Hyundai diehards one day too. Weird
He has a Titan, an Xterra, a Frontier, and a Hardbody. All I have is my Frontier but I know a ton about the brand and vehicles. I cannot comment on more modern stuff but through the 80's into the early 00's the trucks were generally good value vehicles with high reliability and relatively cheap to maintain. I have flogged the ever living crap out of mine and it never left me in the woods, even with fouled sensors, broken engine mounts, snapped CVs, etc. Provided the computers hold up this thing could go a long time.

I'll add this truck is going to be a weekend use truck. Pull my 20ft camper and boat. So nothing heavy or hard really to pull. I use my work truck currently and have no issues a 2.7ecoboost.

Although I can use my work truck I feel weird about it. More so when I'm pulling my camper several states away. And plan on driving out west and possibly up to the UP next year and don't want to drive the work truck that far.

i dont need or even really want a diesel.

My BIL has a 27foot triple bump TT (7K# range weight... not mega heavy or "lite" model) they pulled with an '07 F-150 Coyote crew that they loved, but as retirees hedging their Fed "incomes" 🙄 and 175K on it's clock, just swapped for a '17 F-150 EcoBoost twin... said it did just as good as the 5.0L, MPGs higher unloaded/even towing, and I almost fell over when I read 2.7L on the under hood sticker! 🤯

My thoughts are the tighter that 2.7L is turning to make those numbers/ability to tow that much... the higher potential for total fawking destruction when it let's go!

But I'm still polishing a 6.0L 🤫 that doesn't owe me a thing...

Dude said he towed his medium sized trailers with a 2.7 Ecoboost now and it does fine.....so i asked why a diesel?

Not a left field question

Has nothing to do with what I've done. Move along.
So you havent.

Maybe we should all drive 18 wheelers?

So much diesel torque!

You still have no idea or clue what I've done....but you seem so sure of yourself.
Maybe we should.It’s a simple yes or no answer.

Last edited:
Back