On Board GPS

JSEsterly

Anyone have one?

I'm looking at buying one, Garman, Lowrance.. Want something that will work great for highways, interstates (no brainer) and of course the one that will maybe give the most for off road parks.. I've got a handheld garman, works great.. but I want one to mount in the suburban.

I've got a Lowrance iWay 500c. It works great on the road/highway and holds 10GB of detailed maps which is more than any of the other systems I looked at. I haven't tried it offroad yet, but I will let you know

That version talks to you doesnt it? Thats one bell and whistle i dont care if Ive got. Do you mind if I ask where you bought and how much?

In my work truck I have a laptop with GPS. The program is Delorme Street Atlas. This is a great system and probably quiet a bit cheaper than buying a handheld device if you already have a laptop. If not you can get one pretty cheap on ebay or something. It doesnt need alot of memory or speed if you just run that program in your vehicle. I like this system bcause its alot easier to see while u are driving and its very easy to use. When you buy the program, it comes with a GPS antenna that looks like a walkman (about the same size) that sits on your dash. You should be able to get this at a computer store. If you are interested and cant find it, let me know and I think I know somewhere that has it.

I'm looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 376C for my motorcycle

376c.jpg

It has an integrated antenna..ll use it in the vehicles as well, but so far it seems to have the features I want the most. Coupled with some good map software, you can program down to dirt roads and fire trails on the whole country

This also works on water and has special water features

It's waterproof (good for getting caught in the rain on the bike, or in the jeep when I don't have the top on) and I can mount it in any application

Now that's one I like. Water Proof! I have been wanting one of these things for years. Nothing fancy, I just want to be able to log the trails I run and download to the PC and make maps. I guess I could use it for travel too, but I just don't fine myself traveling much except to and from trails. But that could be useful too since a lot of time I am following a group and don't pay a lot of attention to turns as I should.

upnover said:
a lot of time I am following a group and don't pay a lot of attention to turns as I should.

Thats me on bike trips...I usually don't lead, but we run across some KILLER twisties sometimes. This one, like other Garmins will TRACK where you've been and create routes you can record so that later, you can repeate the same trip.

JSEsterly said:
That version talks to you doesnt it? Thats one bell and whistle i dont care if Ive got. Do you mind if I ask where you bought and how much?

Yeah it talks which is actually pretty good feature since you don't have to watch the screen. It also has a 10GB mp3 player, and detailed maps of North America already installed. Supposedly it is water resistant as well.

I bought it from outpost.com for 699.99, but now it's down to 599.99

Back