open it or not

open the store

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

broncomania

im considering opening a full blown military supply / tactical store right here in randleman nc.

ive got everything i need.
store front building with low rent on main rd.
tax id #
trust worthy employee
enough to stock the store right now and its all paid for.
new cash register
clothes racks and display counters.
and an unlimited supply of good high quality stuff at low prices that i can pass along to YOU !!!!!!!

ONLY PROBLEM IS , ive never owned a business before and im wondering if people will actually come buy from me.

MY GOAL : is to put all the money made back into the business . im only looking for it to pay for its self and grow .

FUTURE PLANS: get my ffl and sell guns & ammo.

do you guys think i should give it a go or not ?

thanks.

I'd come check it out everytime on my way through to URE.

Most military surplus stores that I have been to don't seem to do very good. The reason is that they sell 90% used clothes or new stuff that's not real surplus. If you get real stuff and only do a little clothing I think you would do well.

Most military surplus stores that I have been to don't seem to do very good. The reason is that they sell 90% used clothes or new stuff that's not real surplus. If you get real stuff and only do a little clothing I think you would do well.
90% of my stuff is new or near new and real issue. the other 10% is blackhawk , etc. name brand.

also > surefire, sog, spyderco, crkt, benchmade, gerber, k-bar, leatherman, etc .

I'll say yes do it only because you never what will happen if you never do. It's all about taking chances and if at least 90% of what you are selling is actual military issue then you should do well. The Army Navy store near my place has a lot military issue stuff and they seem to do just fine (regardless of being a chain).

Do it! Sound like you already have the capital side covered. Iffin it were me, I'd want to try to have an online side of the business too, and of course have a couple military 6x6's and tanks, etc outside.

What's the market/potential competition like? E.g. are there similar stores in Greensboro? How are they doing?
i agree that having an online store is key too, but that is a very competitive market space, where you either have a niche item/market approach or some way to get aupplies that allows really competitive prices.

i would say go for it, and if im down that way i would stop in, good luck to ya if you do go with it. keep us posted

Mike a guy like you would do great go for it man I will send everyone I know your way

I'd do it. With all you say you have to start with, yeah, I would. I would also "train" this highly trusted person to work the INTERNET too. So many ways you can sell this stuff and have a lot more people cruising your wares. I would keep sole control on inventory. I have seen too many people go under because of "highly trusted" workers.

do it.

2 things I've seen from people opening up their own businesses:

1. Have a good location. A busy street preferred with good parking. I've zoomed into many surplus stores just because I've said, "Oh! Lookie there! They have stuff! I like stuff! Lets go!" Same for just about any business.

2. Do research on running a business. All too often I hear people say, "Well I went to a MBA class and they are telling these kids the things I learned the hard way!" With that said, doesn't it make sense to learn from others mistakes rather than your own?

Not saying you need to take a MBA class, but I would recommend a lot of research and talking to other people. Some schooling would be a good idea but that might not be in the cards for you.

Lastly, if you get a good price on a 2.5 ton, lemme know :huggy:

Make sure your supply of 'stuff' is good and you have some backups in place. Have a plan in place for if things don't work out. If you hit specific points either good or bad you will know what/how to take the next step.

I hate to say it, but if your not going to draw a pay check, make anything, or somehow create an investment from growing the business. Why not stay home drink beer and continue selling on the side? IE what's your 5-10 year plan ?

Otherwise, I admire your ambitions to dive in. I'd shop there, on my way to URE..

Mike, I'd buy from you anytime!
Seriously though, you definately have the personality to deal with the public. The kind that would bring alot of vets around to feel comfortable to just sit around and chat war stories.
As for the market, I think ebay would help tremendously. So naturally location isn't as important as it used to be. do your homework, go check out other surplus stores.
Berg's in Fayetteville is huge for selling tires. And he gets them by the boat load, probably his number one seller. But he has to have a huge warehouse to store them and uses his forklift extensively. Even has a technique he uses it to pull out runflats. Alot of military items are large so you'd need storage. Lockable storage.
The mexicans are huge fans for camo garb. I guess they feel it may help them blend if ever a immigrant revolt?:flipoff2: But the surplus stands at the flea markets is huge. May be an option to start with to get a feel? Flea markets... Speak spanish Mike?
Another fan is bi women. :bounce2: Every one of them love camo clothes. I know a few and they all dig it. If a woman sports a camo cap, she's likely a switch hitter or once experimented. I would guess that they mainly shop ebay?
And with 2012 bearing down (the next test for the end of time) survival gear has become a shelf clearer. There was some interviews on Good Morning America not too long ago where all the survival stores couldn't keep enough in stock.

As for guns... you definately can't go wrong there...

Contact your closest military bases and ask some questions. You might get a sales line up to where you don't even have to stock? Might be able to place orders and then recieve?

That's my brain storm for what my few brain cells are worth...

:beer:

Mike, I say go for it. I've only been to randleman 1x and that was to get some stuff from you. It didn't seem like the place to start any kind of business, but if you can get rent cheap enough, might give it a shot.

I know nothing of the type of store you are opening, but if there is a large web following for that stuff, that would do the most for you, IMHO. I don't picture the location being ideal at all.

im working on it. if its meant to be , it will happen. my 5 year plan would be for it to be grown by then to actually live off of it. thanks guys for the kind words about me personally. i treat everyone fair as fair can be.

ive checked with greensboro army navy and they had hardly no real surplus. mostly catalog purchased items. i also check with delks in asheboro. the prices are on up there compared to what i can do. and i'd still make out good. my location would be right inbetween those 2 locations by several miles. both have been in business since i was a kid and im knockin on 40 this year.

the 2 buildings im lookin at are $650.00 a month with no signed lease. just move in or out as you please. the other building has less parking but only $300.00 a month with a signed 6month agreement.

i gotta do something soon because i have no where to put anything else. lol

Give it a try.

Local surplus stores have limited if any "real surplus". I frequent Old Sarge's in Spring Lake and while their selection is good you can buy new ACU's cheaper at the Bragg PX than the used stuff at Sarge's. The triad has no place for good tactical gear, AR accessories or qaulity knives (Emerson La Griffe for example). You should go forth with your plans and futuristically thinking, if a store of this sort does well in Randleman it would be ball-slamming in Greensboro.

Local surplus stores have limited if any "real surplus". I frequent Old Sarge's in Spring Lake and while their selection is good you can buy new ACU's cheaper at the Bragg PX than the used stuff at Sarge's. The triad has no place for good tactical gear, AR accessories or qaulity knives (Emerson La Griffe for example). You should go forth with your plans and futuristically thinking, if a store of this sort does well in Randleman it would be ball-slamming in Greensboro.
^^^^^^^^^^^every single person i talk to says basically the same thing .

If you're trying to get your ffl then I say go for it, otherwise like someone else said I never see surplus stores doing very well unless they're established and pretty large.

If you will be FFL and selling guns and ammo, I say go for it. If not, I say stick to an internet business, set up a website, ebay and what not. Costs much less than renting a building and what not. Now if you get alot of internet business, then slowly open a store and get that rolling, but I would make sure the profit is there before doing so.

The one here is Statesville has been around since before I was born. One thing that the one here does good is they supply boy scouts stuff, paint ball, and stuff for the local law enforcement and emt. So if you work that angle that should keep you going during times when the surplus sales are down. Webstore is big, but for local sales good advertisement like a kaiser jeep or something besides a deuce (they are being used alot, and dont have the same draw as other military vehicles)

Having the plans and building up in stages is great so you are not jumping in all at once. Best of luck

Pleaseeee do it...you would have atleast one customer with me man...i love those stores but living in the level cross/bills pizza pub area theres not any real close to here!!!

Pleaseeee do it...you would have atleast one customer with me man...i love those stores but living in the level cross/bills pizza pub area theres not any real close to here!!!
where at in level cross do you live ? im right down the road from bills. :beer:

before you get these buildings, call your city planner and make sure that the buildings you're looking at allow you to sell guns there. Nothing worse than getting into it and realizing the city wont let you sell what you want there. Also look at how much the business licences cost so you can budget for those as well.

Otherwise, sounds like a good idea, good luck!

Back