Paint in Raleigh?

samsterman99

Anyone have a recommendation on a place to get my k5 painted? It's peeling pretty bad now and I finally will have somewhere to store it inside.
Not looking for show quality, the body has dings and a couple spots that may need some bodywork, but i want something that will last longer than the rattle cans I tried before.

Hey Samsterman,

Just remember that you can spray the best paint there is on it, but if the prepping isn't done right, it will peel off just like your last one. The painting isn't really the expensive part. It's all of the time needed to sand and prep the body for painting that is time consuming and expensive. If you have the time, try doing some of this part yourself. Sorry that I can't recommend a shop near you though.

Maaco in Raleigh does some of the better cheap paint jobs, but the prep work is very important! How much are you looking to spend? For $1000 or less I would look at Maaco in Raleigh, they do some pretty good paint jobs for $700-$1000. Will make it look really good.

I do paint work but not set up for it right now, but back to you, what are you looking to spend?

yeah maaco lays down some good paint, they have guys that just spray so they are as good as anybody at putting paint on! i would probly take my own paint just to be sure of the quality, but i wouldnt be afraid to let them paint it.

scared to death!!!!!

Hey all, thanks for the responses. I did my last paint job with rustoleum cans and for 60 bucks it was pretty good for a couple years. I now think there are about 4 layers of paint on this thing though. My paint never came off because I did a descent job, but the layers under mine are starting to bubble and peel again. Need to strip the entire thing?
I'm thinking somewhere around 1000, but mainly if there is a good way to strip it and start fresh, I don't mind the rustoleum thing again. Seemed to work ok. I just dont want to sit there with a sanding disc for 10 hours and hit the entire car

Well, if you don't want to spend the time your gonna need to spend the money or get a bad job, paint only sticks as good as the layer underneath it. I other words get it down to the steel. The paint is only going to look as good as the prep work as well, spend the time to sand down the flake offs and get the panels good and straight, over tape everything paint is like a magnet to something you don't want it on...tape' tape and tape more. But if you have $1000 to spend on it then Maaco will give you a great paint job for the money. They have done some good work for $1000 -1500. Let us know how you go and throw some pics up.

Back